View RSS Feed

Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine

Harvard Meet - March 2012

Rate this Entry
I signed up today for the New England scy Champs at Harvard in March. I entered best masters times for all events (the website suggested these during the registration process, kinda neat), except for the 200 breast. Yes, the 2br - I decided to enter it for the first time ever and just ballparked a time.

Friday, March 16, 8:00am warmup, 9:00am start
#10 Men 50 Freestyle Time: :24.37
#12 Men 200 Backstroke Time: 02:11.88
#14 Men 100 Individual Medley Entry Time: 01:03.18

Saturday, March 17, 8:00am warmup, 9:00am start
#24 Men 50 Butterfly Entry Time: :26.84
#26 Men 200 Breaststroke Entry Time: 02:55.14
#32 Men 200 Freestyle Entry Time: 01:57.19
#34 Men 100 Backstroke Entry Time: :59.45

Sunday, March 18, 8:00am warmup, 9:00am start
#42 Men 200 Individual Medley Entry Time: 02:22.47
#44 Men 50 Backstroke Entry Time: :27.76
#52 Men 100 Freestyle Entry Time: :52.60

Last year I swam 6 events, and this year I decided to bump it up to 10. We'll see how the training progresses through the end of winter and see if some time drops are realized in the middle of March!

I will be mailing in entries for the Valentines and Pace/Maker's mini-meets tomorrow. With these meets, I will replace the 100 and 200 Free with Fly to complete all events for the scy season

Now, off for a swim ...

Submit "Harvard Meet - March 2012" to Digg Submit "Harvard Meet - March 2012" to del.icio.us Submit "Harvard Meet - March 2012" to StumbleUpon Submit "Harvard Meet - March 2012" to Google

Updated January 26th, 2012 at 10:23 PM by rxleakem

Categories
Masters Swim Meets / Events , Planning

Comments

You are going to be busy!

I still have no clue what I'm going to sign up for, if anything.
    I agree that's a very aggressive meet schedule! But it looks like you have a little rest time between events. And if it is like the BU SCM meet, even back-to-back events weren't as tough as our meets here.

Are you going to train for the 200 br, or just go for it? I'm working with one of my coaches on pacing and strategy, you can look in my blog for some ideas (I did last Friday's set nearly all breast). The 200 breast is my best shot at an NQT, but I'm trying to balance that with my longer distance free wants.
    I think you'll be at least 5-8 sec faster than that seed time.

I'll have to look at my calendar...fares to BOS are still pretty cheap. Maybe I'll show up again.
    Quote Originally Posted by slknight
    You are going to be busy!

I still have no clue what I'm going to sign up for, if anything.
    Save the bow until after I (hopefully) finish the meet in one piece! haha

Since I am not swimming any events first thing in the am, we are heading down Friday am (saves a night paying for hotel). Do the 200 breast with me - we can gridge it. And, it won't be the same if you are not there, especially on Sun, when I hear that someone might get one of these:
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    I agree that's a very aggressive meet schedule! But it looks like you have a little rest time between events. And if it is like the BU SCM meet, even back-to-back events weren't as tough as our meets here.
    There will be lots of time, especially since I won't be swimming any relays.

Are you going to train for the 200 br, or just go for it? I'm working with one of my coaches on pacing and strategy, you can look in my blog for some ideas (I did last Friday's set nearly all breast). The 200 breast is my best shot at an NQT, but I'm trying to balance that with my longer distance free wants.
    I think you'll be at least 5-8 sec faster than that seed time.
    I am not really going to train for it, just wanted to try it out. Never done it before, and seeing you and Rich at BU I figured I'd give it a try. I'll check out your blog - thanks (any help I can get is a win!)

I'll have to look at my calendar...fares to BOS are still pretty cheap. Maybe I'll show up again.
    I'd suggest you look into it. I really like the pool at Harvard, and while the train stop is not as close as BU (it's a solid 10 minute walk to the pool) it is doable.
    I will only miss out on the 100 and 200 Fly to complete all events for the scy season
    Ummmmm....excuse me??? Somewhere I recall you saying there was a 200 Fly in the near future for you. Or is my memory foggy? Honestly, I can't remember exactly what was said.
    I am as bummed about this development as you are, James. I will get both in before the end of the year. I opted for the 400im over the 2 fly this spring, and since I am making excuses I will note that the only 200 available at mini meets I'm going to are free.
    There is a small chance I can squeeze it in during April, when the pianos are still available to fall on my back.
    Quote Originally Posted by rxleakem
    and since I am making excuses I will note that the only 200 available at mini meets I'm going to are free.
    There is a small chance I can squeeze it in during April, when the pianos are still available to fall on my back.
    Does this fall under the breaking the "no whining" pledge?

Also...since you have an opportunity at a mini meet to do a 200 Free, just swim it Fly. Enter your time with your projected fly time so you'd be seeded accordingly and go have fun with it!
    Do the 200 breast with me - we can gridge it. And, it won't be the same if you are not there, especially on Sun, when I hear that someone might get one of these:
    Me doing a 200 breast. That's the funniest thing I've heard all day.

Still undecided. Looks like my husband might be out-of-town on a business trip on Friday. That means I'd either have to find someone to pick our son up from school and babysit Friday night or pull him out of school and bring him with me. Neither choice sounds that great.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1
    Does this fall under the breaking the "no whining" pledge?
    No, it's not whining, since I am just stating fact - it is hard to find a 200 anything except for the big meets. Although I am sure jbs will correct me re: Casco Bay Toughen Up Challenge, but that falls on a day I have to work.

Also...since you have an opportunity at a mini meet to do a 200 Free, just swim it Fly. Enter your time with your projected fly time so you'd be seeded accordingly and go have fun with it!
    You've convinced me - I will do that. I forgot that you can swim anything during a free event - didn't TPat do this very thing recently? I am putting together a mini-meet in town for April, so I will do the 200 Fly then. I'll sub out a 100 free for fly coming up and then will have hit everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by slknight
    Me doing a 200 breast. That's the funniest thing I've heard all day.
    Still undecided.
    Glad I could offer some levity for the day to you. I never thought I would swim the blasted event, but what the heck.
    Sometimes life gets in the way of our swimming hobby, but I hope you can make it down at some point to the meet. MESC needs your points for the crown!
    Cape Elizabeth is having a meet on March 4th AND it has a 200 fly event:

http://www.mainemasters.org/Entry%20...eth%20Meet.pdf
    Drats! I knew you would be looking, John! haha

I am going to the Great Barrington meet that weekend. Maybe I'll just do it then ...
    Updated January 26th, 2012 at 11:04 PM by rxleakem
    No, it's not whining, since I am just stating fact - it is hard to find a 200 anything except for the big meets. Although I am sure jbs will correct me re: Casco Bay Toughen Up Challenge, but that falls on a day I have to work.

You've convinced me - I will do that. I forgot that you can swim anything during a free event - didn't TPat do this very thing recently? I am putting together a mini-meet in town for April, so I will do the 200 Fly then. I'll sub out a 100 free for fly coming up and then will have hit everything.
    You'll be fine. Just don't put too slow of an entry time...you don't want to "blow away" the 4:00+ 200 Freestylers in the heat and look like "showboating".

Here's a video of me doing it last year at the PNA Champs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hbd0y...6&feature=plcp

I wasn't able to be there the day of the 200 Fly, but the 200 Free event was on my day, so I did it like that. Also...That Guy is in the video as my at the dive end of the pool. You'll see his big head pop into the video at the 50, 100, & 150 turns.