View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Friday, Feb. 3

Rate this Entry
by , February 3rd, 2012 at 05:37 PM (1553 Views)
Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up/Transition:

600 various
6 x 25 shooters w/fins @ :30
5 x 50 free w/paddles @ :50
5 x 50 torque drill w/paddles @ 1:15
50 EZ
4 x 25 kick w/board
odds = build
evens = easy

Speed Sets:

10 x 25 burst dolphin kick to 15 m + cruise @ 1:00
-- 5 back, 5 belly
100 EZ

10 x 25 burst speed play to 15 m + cruise @ 1:00
-- 5 fast hands breast, 5 fast doggy paddle
100 EZ

3 x (broken 100s IMs AFAP w/fins + 200 EZ)
-- broken at 50 & 75 for :15
-- out in 23 on all of them, 23 high on 3rd one
-- 48/48 high/49

Total: 3000


ART, 30 minutes

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

So glad I had an ART appt today as my left shoulder/lats/scapular area is hurting. He worked it over good. My left side is naturally weaker and the tendons are very loose. Lifting keeps the muscles activated and strong, and helps hold the tendons in place. Without that, they cause me pain. More scapular/thoracic stabilizing for me. Groan. He told me to check out Gary Cook's exercises.

It occurred to me that substituting kicking does not necessarily mean less shoulder related pain for me. I spend an enormous amount of time in a streamline position in the water. That seems to really stress the lats/rhomboid areas.

I was looking at the PV meet schedule today. They've added a meet on March 3 in Warrenton. As much as I'd like to see Geek and the Greensboro pool, I'll skip the travel and swim at this meet. I think I may do all four 50s. Two weeks later is the Albatross meet where I'm tentatively planning to swim the 50 back/100 IM/50 free.

Normally, I would be due for a recovery week next week. But without the upper body lifting, I'm not sure I need one. That tends to be the most fatiguing aspect of my training.

Submit "Friday, Feb. 3" to Digg Submit "Friday, Feb. 3" to del.icio.us Submit "Friday, Feb. 3" to StumbleUpon Submit "Friday, Feb. 3" to Google

Categories
Swim Workouts , ART

Comments

  1. SwimStud's Avatar
    Hey Crazy Fortress Chick have you tried using 1 arm in front and one on the side when kicking (At leas w/board)? I sometimes just hold the board with 1 arm and rest my other forearm across when shoulder is grumpy.
    You could try kicking in skate position UW too...until healing occurs.
  2. pwb's Avatar
    I like free and back kicking on my side with arms at my side, focus on rotating from side to side to simulate stroke rotation. Do breast kick on your back, with hands at your sides, too.
  3. SwimStud's Avatar
    Good Idea Patrick! Sure it's not the "feel" of kicking off walls and from the dive but it you're after leg power it's going to help more /c of the increased resistance... I may even add that in to my swimming...
  4. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SwimStud
    Hey Crazy Fortress Chick have you tried using 1 arm in front and one on the side when kicking (At leas w/board)? I sometimes just hold the board with 1 arm and rest my other forearm across when shoulder is grumpy.
    You could try kicking in skate position UW too...until healing occurs.
    I've been training pure speed for awhile that I sometimes forget that I am "crazy" to most masters swimmers.

    I do sometimes kick that way. But I can't go fast that way. Streamlines are ideal for fly/back training.

    I'm not sure it needs to heal per se; I just think my tendons are grumpy from weakened muscles.
  5. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    I like free and back kicking on my side with arms at my side, focus on rotating from side to side to simulate stroke rotation. Do breast kick on your back, with hands at your sides, too.
    I could probably do more of that.

    No breast kick on back -- last time I did that I strained a groin muscle. So now I never whip kick. All breast dolphin.
  6. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SwimStud
    Good Idea Patrick! Sure it's not the "feel" of kicking off walls and from the dive but it you're after leg power it's going to help more /c of the increased resistance... I may even add that in to my swimming...
    Hadn't thought of it that way. That's an interesting twist. I guess it's a rare instance where drag might have some benefit.