View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Sunday, Feb. 5

Rate this Entry
by , February 5th, 2012 at 08:53 PM (1168 Views)
Drylands:

I took yesterday off as usual. But I did do 40 minutes of RC, elbow and scapular exercises, with an emphasis on the scapular area. Fun ... NOT!

Today I hit the gym and did:

Another 30 minutes of RC, elbow, scapular exercises
Total ab machine, 130 x 4 x 15
Explosive leg press, 270 x 4 x 10
Leg extensions, 120 x 4 x 6
Resisted lunges, 60 x 2 x 15 left/right, 15 front
Leg abductors, 130 x 3 x 8
Captains chair, 2 x 25
Altitude drops, 10
Knee tuck jumps, 10
Lateral bunny hops over bench, 20

Bike, 15 minutes
Stretching, 15-20 minutes

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Didn't swim this weekend, which is fine. The pools were mostly closed anyway for a USAS meet and HS Regionals. The latter was fun to watch with almost every event won in an AAA time at finals. Sophomore star Janet Hu went a 53.7 100 back and 49.5 100 free. Sick fast.

The only disappointing part of the meet was that the free anchor of Teen Fort's medley relay loafed to save herself for the next event. I was shocked and really pissed off; I've not seen anything that flagrant at a champs meet where team points matter. Two other girls were also in the next event, one in an earlier heat, and they swam fast. Her mother apparently told her to loaf. Wtf. I was also ticked because Teen Fort took some time off rowing and gave up going to the Mid Atlantic Erg Sprints to be with her team and swim at this meet. Her good deed was rewarded in part with an outright selfish and ethically dubious act. At least the coaches were displeased and are going to take some action. Personally, I think they should pull the brat out of the event she loafed the relay for. But I doubt that will happen.

Go Patriots!

Submit "Sunday, Feb. 5" to Digg Submit "Sunday, Feb. 5" to del.icio.us Submit "Sunday, Feb. 5" to StumbleUpon Submit "Sunday, Feb. 5" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Well, her mother should have kept her mouth shut. She is not the coach. That is wrong when you are vital to the relay.
    Quote Originally Posted by tjrpatt
    Well, her mother should have kept her mouth shut. She is not the coach. That is wrong when you are vital to the relay.
    If I was the coach, I'd have a chat with the mother. It's also sad that the kid listened to her mother at the expense of her teammates. Most kids wouldn't choose to be hated by their peers. I guess self centered must run/be valued in that family.
    We had a guy do this this summer at Sectionals and it was just pitiful and selfish. The sad thing is that he's a college age swimmer. It totally set the wrong example for the younger guys.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    We had a guy do this this summer at Sectionals and it was just pitiful and selfish. The sad thing is that he's a college age swimmer. It totally set the wrong example for the younger guys.
    Plus, is it really even necessary? These kids recover quickly. That's one reason they swim so much yardage, right?
    I want to state for the record that the relay that I cruised yesterday was a just-for-laughs type of thing. We were four guys from multiple teams who organized into a relay at the last minute. And behind the blocks we were debating whether to swim the relay as all fly or not. Mike wanted to do fly, but then he changed his mind, I'm not sure why.

If team scoring is in effect then I go all-out and that's that. Even though I think worrying about scoring in Masters meets is like worrying about applying enough suntan lotion during a snowstorm
    Age has it's perks. Masters prerogative means we get to conduct our swimming lives the way we want!
    There's no hope for some people it would seem. People like That Guy, that is.
    Quote Originally Posted by knelson
    There's no hope for some people it would seem. People like That Guy, that is.
    He is a bit crazy, in contrast to his generic stick figure avatar.