View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Thursday, March 12

Rate this Entry
No real workouts today. Had a deep tissue massage booked. Um, boy, did I need it! I was sore and tight everywhere. Massage therapist, like the chiro, didn't think my hip was really "injured" (no pulling, tearing, etc). Just thought I had over stretched/over contracted it and it was spasming some. Unfortunately, absent the complete rest Jimby was talking about, it could take awhile to resolve. I'll just stay away from lunges and maybe limit the fast kicking for a bit. On a funny note, she also asked how I can even run with my loose floppy ankles. lol (One other tidbit: If you're rehabbing an injured area, best to use a massage-chiro sequence rather than the other way around.)

Afterward, swam an easy 1500 and sat in the hot tub.

Tomorrow, I'll lift and do the workout Geek posted this am. Looked like a very nice and enjoyable speed workout.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here's something to chew on:

http://library.crossfit.com/free/pdf...ad_Lifting.pdf

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Questions:

1. When you're writing down your weight workout, does the amount of the weight come first?

2. Is anyone doing plyometrics? If so, which exercises?

3. Anyone have any other recommendations for good core exercises for variety? Anyone doing a wood chopper on the med ball? (That will make Jazz grind his teeth, I'm sure.)

4. If you do pushups with a weight on your back, is this putting more of a load on your shoulders or your torso/back?

5. Is anyone using resistance bands like Ande? Anyone have an opinion on them?

6. How often are we supposed to use the foam roller? Every other day?

Submit "Thursday, March 12" to Digg Submit "Thursday, March 12" to del.icio.us Submit "Thursday, March 12" to StumbleUpon Submit "Thursday, March 12" to Google

Updated March 12th, 2009 at 04:27 PM by The Fortress

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    1. Yes. Ande will disagree, but just look at funkyfish and Paul's workouts. If a former bodybuilder and a former powerlifter do it that way (was funkyfish a powerlifter, too?), maybe it's the standard.
    1. Who cares... oh, lots of people other than me
    2. No, but maybe in the future.
    3. Jeez, like you don't already know more core exercises than me. How about kettleball get ups?
    4. All?
    5. I use them for RC strengthening. After Zones I might look into them more.
    6. When you feel the need.
    Updated March 12th, 2009 at 06:49 PM by qbrain
    1) What ever system works for you. The Weight Log Police will not come and beat you up.
    2) No
    3) Leg lifts, Planks, Crunches, Roman Chair sit ups, etc.
    4) Push Ups=bad for shoulders and the same benefit can be gained thru working the shoulder area from different angles.
    5) RC exercises only
    6) As needed.
    Thanks guys!
    Quote Originally Posted by pwolf66
    4) Push Ups=bad for shoulders and the same benefit can be gained thru working the shoulder area from different angles.
    Yes, this seems to be conventional wisdom ... Examples of alternatives?
    Anyone have any other recommendations for good core exercises for variety?
    Superman Banana Jacks.
    Quote Originally Posted by rtodd
    Superman Banana Jacks.
    Are you making that up, Rob? If not, can you explain what it is?
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    How about kettleball get ups?
    Not tried these yet! It looks like they may use these some in Cross Fit. I know Smith went through a kettleball phase as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Not tried these yet! It looks like they may use these some in Cross Fit. I know Smith went through a kettleball phase as well.
    Seems like this Smith character has done everything.

2.) jump rope, lateral line hops, and streamline jumps.

3.) Bird Dog and my personal favorite as of late: medicine ball V-ups.

5.) They're great for doing quick, controlled movement-type exercises. They're also good for injury prevention exercises like external rotation, hip flexion, etc. They're also easy to use at home or on trips.

There are only prime numbers.
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    Seems like this Smith character has done everything.

You'd think he had sprinter ADD ...
    Quote Originally Posted by mctrusty
    2.) jump rope, lateral line hops, and streamline jumps.

3.) Bird Dog and my personal favorite as of late: medicine ball V-ups.

5.) They're great for doing quick, controlled movement-type exercises. They're also good for injury prevention exercises like external rotation, hip flexion, etc. They're also easy to use at home or on trips.

There are only prime numbers.
    Thanks, Mike!

Is bird dog the same as the pointer exercise?

The med ball V ups look very fun.

http://www.throwfarther.com/index.ph...ectlink&id=256

I have used those resistance bands for external rotation. Seems like Ande thinks they're good for building strength though.
    Updated March 12th, 2009 at 08:12 PM by The Fortress
    3. Do push-ups using the bosu ball. Ball part of the bosu ball should be face down and you grip the sides of the flat part. The balancing you do in works your core without your realizing it.
    Answer 6. I use a tennis ball every other day.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swims With Twins
    Answer 6. I use a tennis ball every other day.
    Donna H. really swears by these as well! Especially for knots in the back.
    Superman Banana Jacks:

Lay on your stomach in the superman position. Keep your feet off the floor and your hands and arms off the floor. Roll over to your back, now you are a "banana", roll over again to the "superman" (in your case superwoman) without letting your arms or legs touch the ground. Keep it going....need alot of room, or you have to reverse the direction.
    Quote Originally Posted by elise526
    3. Do push-ups using the bosu ball. Ball part of the bosu ball should be face down and you grip the sides of the flat part. The balancing you do in works your core without your realizing it.
    Are they less hard on your shoulders this way? Or more hard because you have to balance too?
    Quote Originally Posted by rtodd
    Superman Banana Jacks:

Lay on your stomach in the superman position. Keep your feet off the floor and your hands and arms off the floor. Roll over to your back, now you are a "banana", roll over again to the "superman" (in your case superwoman) without letting your arms or legs touch the ground. Keep it going....need alot of room, or you have to reverse the direction.
    This is a fabulous exercise, Rob! Never knew what they were called. My coach mentioned this exercise to me a while ago, and I forgot all about it. Thanks for the reminder.
    Are they less hard on your shoulders this way? Or more hard because you have to balance too?
    I find them to be easier on the shoulders, but then again, my body can be odd. Try a few and see how it feels.
    Donna H. really swears by these as well! Especially for knots in the back.
    Swears at them probably. The tennis ball is VERY effective at finding those tender spots.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast