View RSS Feed

Pete's swim blog

02.06.12 - Pre-meet mightmare and some video (underwater)

Rate this Entry
by , February 6th, 2012 at 11:12 AM (1150 Views)
Swam with Roger, Dave, Dave and Dave this morning. Kent swam on his own in another lane. Kent did an untapered 17:05 or something like that in his 1650 last weekend! Pool temp up to about 84. Definitely warmer than it has been. Wore my Nike jammer w/o a drag suit.

Had my first premeet nightmare. Dreamed I went out too fast in the 1650, paniced and started drowning. I always seem to have nigtmares about races I haven't raced in before. Last year it was the 200 fly.

On a better note, it was my daughter's birthday last weekend. She wanted an underwater video camera for her birthday. Who am I to deny her something I could occasionally use to video my stroke underwater? Just to show how good of a dad I am, I volunteered to try it out this morning at practice. Video to follow later. I might have "accidentally" dropped the camera in the water before telling my teammates it was waterproof.

SCY

400 Warm up

4 x 50 - 1:00 Down accelerate, back easy (Fly, Br, Br, Fr)
4 x 50 Kick - 1:10 Down accelerate, back easy (Br, Fly, Fr, Fr)
Rest

4 x 50 Pull - 1:00 Down hard no breath, back easy
Rest

4 x 50 - 1:00 Get up to speed for test event (28s & 29s)
75 Easy + Rest

Timed 500 From Dive broken at 50s: (5:13 total time in water)
http://youtu.be/3R0p1AtJGZc
Went out on :27 - probably a bit fast. Rest were 31s and 32s. Supposedly, I should be able to do a 5:13 at the meet. I'll believe that when I see it. Definitely think I can make 5:25 if things go well. Comments on my stroke are very welcome and appreciated. Not sure I'll change anything before the meet but it would be good to know what I can improve on.

175 cool down

(1950 Total)

Submit "02.06.12 - Pre-meet mightmare and some video (underwater)" to Digg Submit "02.06.12 - Pre-meet mightmare and some video (underwater)" to del.icio.us Submit "02.06.12 - Pre-meet mightmare and some video (underwater)" to StumbleUpon Submit "02.06.12 - Pre-meet mightmare and some video (underwater)" to Google

Tags: 500, broken, free, timed
Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

You have the same problem that I have had with my right arm, pulling too far outside the body. The arm needs to be somewhere between the midline and the outside of the shoulder.

Your right arm is way out to the side. Do you ever experience shoulder issues?
    That's one of the first things I saw when I watched the video. I was not expecting to see my arms sweep out so wide. It used to be a lot worse and I did have some shoulder problems before adjusting my stroke. Looks like I could use some more adjustment... probably not before the meet though. I also thought I bent my elbows a little more.
    Are you going to Auburn? I wouldn't change anything this close to the meet.

I would recommended doing some fist drilling/swimming. This will help you get more of a catch out front because you are relying on your forearms to anchor and not your hands.

Will you go to the Murfreesboro meet in March?
    Yes, tapering for Auburn right now. Thinking about Murfreesboro. Will you be at either?
    I won't be at Auburn. Don't like the order of events. I don't know about M'boro. If it is the same weekend as one in Maryland, I may go to the one in Maryland.
    That camera does a pretty nice job. What model is it?
    It's a [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Kodak-PlaySport-Waterproof-Pocket-Camera/dp/B004FLL5AY/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1328555908&sr=8-5"]Kodak Play Sport ZX5[/ame]. Youtube does something to the video that reduces it's quality a little. The raw video is even better. I've got one of [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Joby-Gorillapod-SLR-Zoom-Flexible-Tripod/dp/B002FGTWOC/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1328556296&sr =1-3"]these[/ame] hanging around the house somewhere. Once I find it, I should be able to hang the camera on a lane rope, the side of the pool or just stand in on the bottom and film at will.
    Quote Originally Posted by thewookiee
    I won't be at Auburn.
    And I thought it was because of your aversion to the state of Alabama . A couple HSA swimmers are looking at Murfreesboro since it is a one day meet and a little closer. I might tag along but mid-March is when the spring soccer season gets started up and I'll probably be coaching that weekend.
    I just saw a review for a new Kodak video camera:
    http://www.steves-digicams.com/camer...e2-review.html
    Not sure what the difference is between that one and the one my daughter got. I was surprised when my wife suggested that is what she wanted... despite her suspicion that I planted the idea in her head. It is very easy to use. I didn't really adjust any settings for the video I took. Just turned it on and pressed the record button.

I can see where this will be very helpful in the future. I'm already seeing lots of things I didn't know I was doing.