View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Friday the 13th

Rate this Entry
Blech, bad day. Woke up feeling sore from deep tissue massage and then my chiro beat me up some more. No fast kicking and no lower body work (run, elliptical, weights, etc) is now advised, though not mandated, for a bit. That leaves so much else ... lol My back is now adorned with bright blue kinesio tape. Guess I'll be more rested for my meet next weekend than I thought ... I had only contemplated a 3 day mini-taper ... Still, better now than at another time, I guess. Hoping to feel better tomorrow after all the body work.

Was going to get a quick swim in, but decided to bag it until tomorrow in a rare fit of lack of motivation and bad mood-itis. This fit was initially brought on (aside from the soreness) by my kid. What 14 year old misses her heat of the 400 IM at Senior Champs? Yeesh! And I got up early for that ... Rest of the day was likewise frustrating, and I was stuck at the house for much of it. On the upside, I did purchase 3 new nose clips and hope that I can keep them more than 3 days.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Other News:

EC Matrix:

I'm told this is a hot new supplement in sports medicine. It's a mechanism-specific formula designed to help maintain/reduce inflammation in the ligaments. It's apparently not like ibuprofen, which can impair secondary healing. Supposed to be superior to protrypsin or glucosamine.

http://www.metagenics.com/products/detail.asp?pid=637

PRP:

A couple weeks ago I posted an article from the NYT lauding plasma regeneration therapy as a new breakthrough in sports medicine. (That's the procedure I used for my labral tearing.) My chiro told me today that, since the article was published, my PRP/pain doc has been swamped and can't keep up with all the new clients. The orthos are apparently up in arms about it, as they feel their business is threatened. This is a bit hard to see as aging baby boomers continue taking up endurance sports though ...

B70 Ban?:

Mentioned this on a forum thread, but when I was in the local swim shop today, the owner told me unequivocally that the B70 would be banned "in May" and "flunked" the buoyancy test. This is news to me. I thought nothing would happen until 2010. Hoping I at least get some further use out of my new suit. I suspect there may be modifications forthcoming in future generations of B70s.

I saw many LZRs and some B70s at Senior Champs today. My kid isn't swimming at finals tonight (scratched) as she's resting for a meet next week, but I'm now getting frequent text updates on how many of her friends have LZRs. The arms race is in full swing!

Split Request

Got confirmation today that my split request for the 100 back from Auburn was sent to the top ten recorder for southeastern masters.

Submit "Friday the 13th" to Digg Submit "Friday the 13th" to del.icio.us Submit "Friday the 13th" to StumbleUpon Submit "Friday the 13th" to Google

Updated March 13th, 2009 at 07:58 PM by The Fortress

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Fort,
    Sounds like you are due congradualtions! What was your time and splits and place?
    Kudos
    Paige
    Thanks Paige. The 100 back was a 1:02.8. Won't know the final ranking until the SCY season is finished in May. I was just relieved to get written confirmation that it was sent in!
    Because of my shoulder I have been holding off and have no clue if the backstroke is one of my better strokes. In my youth it was. Right now I think you would beat me by a whole lap while I was doing Free! You amaze me. I know how hard you work for it by the blogs.
    Have a nice Saturday it is cold and rainy here Charlotte.
    Paige
    Thanks Paige, I feel like I work pretty hard. But, believe me, many of competitors train much higher yardage than I do!

Cold and rainy here too.
    Definitely good to see it submitted in print - right?
    Congrats Fort!
    Still wish you were coming out to Clovis!
    P.S. I am also not commenting on all the rest because I always feel as though you should/get/deserve more rest.
    Thanks, Ahelee. Yes, it was a relief to see it in writing and not have to send an email.

I actually thought of you when I took it easy for a couple days. I figured it was all for the best and that I would feel better for it in a few days.
    Hi Fort,
    I hope you are back in the swing of things. I had a practice today and it was a "pull" practice. I did 900 pull and now I am thinking " what was I thinking?" I will be okay. It is so hard to not push. I am just sore. I am getting mentally tougher. Now that I spoke with the physician and there are no tears I am more willing to bare some discomfort. Our link has been down all day...couldn't blog.