- 400 (did IM)
- 4 x 100 FR on 1:30
- 300 FR pull with buoy
- 4 x 75 IM (no free) on 1:15
- 200 FR
- 4 x 50 FR on :45

4 x 75 IM (Indiana IM)

10 minutes Kick Wars
- Suggested by Carrie the other night: set up cones on deck 5 yards apart, and swimmers start in the middle of cones and play "tug of war" by kicking their opponents past the cone. I wanted to do this 10 yards apart, but the team protested. This is a fun thing and usually the ladies find that they are stronger at kicking than the guys. We had 5 people, so two rows and the "loser" on the far side became the ref as the winner from the near side moved to face the winner on the far side

-Finished off with a Noah's Ark Pull w/ buoy with Kevin after everyone else left. (6:11)
(BAM masters practice/Rec/3450yds/90 min)
--------------

I went to a pancake breakfast this morning after seeing on facebook that it was happening at the Capstone Baptist Church in North Bennington - proceeds to help with the juniors and seniors at my son's school mission trip to Guatemala next month. I used to eat like a horse for breakfast, but can't seem to anymore these days. Despite that, I wolfed down a stack of pancakes with real Vermont maple syrup before heading to the team practice this morning.

Ended up being 8 people there today, but I was the only one in swimming the higher yardage workout. Since the 400 was first, I decided to do it IM and hit the following splits: 1:06.62, 1:18.97, 1:42.50, 1:11.00. Total was 5:20.29, which is 7 seconds faster than a couple of weeks ago - you can check my progress here. I was really starved for air on the backstroke, so I need to keep working on breath control, as it lead to poor pullouts on the breast. Room to keep improving ...

The kick wars was fun, and would have been better if we had a farther distance to go. I just grabbed some cones from the garage before heading to practice and set it up - the team was pooped after practice and was not all to interested in really going for it. Oh well, fun idea that you should try with your club. Any other fun ideas that you can share from your team workouts?

Not too much to report for the rest of the day. I volunteered for laundry duty so I will be rocking the clean clothes until going to my daughter's Cabaret tonight with my wife. I heard the song that I referenced above shuffle through my swimp3's today during the Ark, The Love of God. We sang it in church a last summer from the hymnal, and I realized that MercyMe covered it. The story goes that the last verse was penciled on the wall of a narrow room in an insane asylum by a man said to have been demented, and they found the words when they laid him in his coffin, but that article actually points out something even more amazing You can check it out if you'd like.

Submit "Workout 02/18/12: Could we with ink the ocean fill" to Digg Submit "Workout 02/18/12: Could we with ink the ocean fill" to del.icio.us Submit "Workout 02/18/12: Could we with ink the ocean fill" to StumbleUpon Submit "Workout 02/18/12: Could we with ink the ocean fill" to Google

Updated February 18th, 2012 at 03:52 PM by rxleakem

Tags: 400 im, kick wars
Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

Congrats on your 400 IM gains!!! Your hard work is paying off.
    that tug of war kick game sounds like a great idea!
    Thanks J! Once I get a tad better at the breaststroke, I will feel better about the swim. I gave been trying to take more opportunities to swim it in practice so it is not so scarry.

Kick Wars was fun, just bummed it did not last longer. Trying more fun stuff out to keep team practice interesting.

BTW, I like your new blog title.
    Hi Mike - How've ya been? Looks like you're training well and laying down some good times. I finally made it to the pool after not being able to for several days. (Can I call this part of my "taper" leading up to March 3? Yeah, I think I'll do that.)

Hope to catch you at the pool one of these days...
    I think that a little rest is alright since we are two weeks out from the Simon's Rock meet. I am going to keep adding in more higher-intensity efforts leading up to the meet, then start my taper for the Harvard meet. I'll get back to a Monday night one of these weeks ...