View RSS Feed

Random Nonsense

DAM SCY Meet

Rate this Entry
In event order:

100 Free: 55.11 (26.55)
50 Free: 24.91
200 Free: 2:04.29 (29.22, 31.55, 32.27, 31.05)

I am not positive that I have been faster in practice in the 100, but the 50 and 200 I definitely have. These are not the slowest meet times I have swam as a master, but they are getting pretty close to my first meet back times.

Not really surprised. My training is not where near the level it was at the beginning of January. Looking at my flog, there is a huge gap in Jan and again in Feb. The big impacts seem to be kicking and racing. They really go hand in hand for me. If I am not focusing on swimming fast, my kick doesn't get much work in practice. Sprinting is an acquired skill for me (like pacing is an acquired skill for others) and you can see from my splits, I went out too slow most obvious on the 200.

Nothing is really going to change for this season. I am tossing the idea of Zones as a target meet (3 trips between now and zones) and I am not going to Greensboro (11 days in Europe in April).

Some meet entertainment

Me to chowmi: Do you have any advice for the 50?
chowmi: You should try kicking.

Martina Moravcova set the women's 50 free pool record at 36, breaking her old pool record set in her 20s with a 22.93 (old record was 22.94 iirc).

No men beat Martina. Closest was a 22.98 by Steve Unruh.

My training partner Josh had the 3rd fastest time overall in the 50, 2nd fastest 200 and fastest 100 (frees). This is good for me, as I have a much better training partner than he does.

Usually I am the only person from my team to attend this meet, but a ton of people turned out this year. It was a quite enjoyable meet because of that.

Walnut Creek Intensive Training Camp

This starts Friday and I am a little concerned. The lactate clearance test is Friday, and I am pretty sure I am going to fail. It will be great to get feed back on all my strokes, velocity analysis of my freestyle and have my handed to me 3 days straight, but I am a little sad I am not in better shape for the camp.

And of course my flight gets home at midnight Sunday, so I will promptly miss the first practice back Monday morning. I really really need to force myself to go because several 10k days followed by a 3 hour flight and not enough sleep will result in my needing to be tossed in the pool to work the kinks out. If someone would like to gift me some willpower...

Zones

I was going to shave, tapper and only swimming the 50, 100 and 200 free, but instead I might swim the max events focusing on the 100s. Still thinking about it at this point.

Submit "DAM SCY Meet" to Digg Submit "DAM SCY Meet" to del.icio.us Submit "DAM SCY Meet" to StumbleUpon Submit "DAM SCY Meet" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Good luck in Walnut Creek. It should be fun and a big kick in the *** for your training.

Tell Martina to stay in Texas -- 22.9 is smoking. I was stoked with my 23.87 a couple of weeks ago, but now I'm not again.
    I would fail the lactate clearance test before you. This camp sounds wonderful, but perhaps not designed for sprinters with all the yardage.

Consistency in training may be even more important than the nature of one's training in masters ... You should pick a December meet as a target meet. Are you planning a big vacation next January?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    I would fail the lactate clearance test before you. This camp sounds wonderful, but perhaps not designed for sprinters with all the yardage.
    The yardage is spread out. There is a morning general workout that is around 4k (1:45 workout), a sprint workout in the afternoon that is probably another 3k+, plus the stroke schools and video analysis. 10k is my guess what the total at the end of the day will be.

I signed up for the sprint track to see if I can learn a little more about sprint training with someone standing over me telling me I am doing it wrong. I am sure I will regret it in the middle of some easy sounding set.

Consistency in training may be even more important than the nature of one's training in masters ... You should pick a December meet as a target meet. Are you planning a big vacation next January?
    My game plan is to not swim meets. Problem solved. If I am going great in training and their is a meet coming up, it might become a target meet, but other than that, I think I will be swimming a lot less meets in the future.

The plan right now is to take another trip to Asia in January. It is very tentative at this point.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    Good luck in Walnut Creek. It should be fun and a big kick in the *** for your training.
    I think the camp will be a lot of fun until half way through the first workout, at which point I will start to question my sanity.

I think everyone was a little surprised she went THAT fast. It certainly didn't look that fast.
    Hmm gift you some willpower...maybe throwing a guilt trip for you to show a visiting swimmer your team?
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    The yardage is spread out. There is a morning general workout that is around 4k (1:45 workout), a sprint workout in the afternoon that is probably another 3k+, plus the stroke schools and video analysis. 10k is my guess what the total at the end of the day will be.

I signed up for the sprint track to see if I can learn a little more about sprint training with someone standing over me telling me I am doing it wrong. I am sure I will regret it in the middle of some easy sounding set.

My game plan is to not swim meets. Problem solved. If I am going great in training and their is a meet coming up, it might become a target meet, but other than that, I think I will be swimming a lot less meets in the future.

The plan right now is to take another trip to Asia in January. It is very tentative at this point.
    10K a day would not work for me, quite sure. I'd rather just skip the 4K workout and do video/stroke analysis/sprint techniques. Be sure to report on the sprint bits, including any start analysis!

Why can't your plan be to do meets as sprint workouts and not have a target meet unless it suits your travel schedule? That way you can still have fun at meets without undue pressure about meeting X time goal.
    10K a day would not work for me, quite sure. I'd rather just skip the 4K workout and do video/stroke analysis/sprint techniques. Be sure to report on the sprint bits, including any start analysis!

Why can't your plan be to do meets as sprint workouts and not have a target meet unless it suits your travel schedule? That way you can still have fun at meets without undue pressure about meeting X time goal.
    10k a day will be interesting, but I think the low end was supposed to be 6k which should be quite easy spread between 2 workouts, stroke school and video taping. I am hoping I can get some good feedback on my starts and turns.

Meets are usually not all that fun for me. I will attend meets that my team is attending, but I doubt I will continue to go to meets alone.
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    Hmm gift you some willpower...maybe throwing a guilt trip for you to show a visiting swimmer your team?
    Do you have your schedule yet? I thought you were getting in Monday morning? I am also flying Wednesday night too.
    but I doubt I will continue to go to meets alone.

Agree, I don't see solo meets for me anymore either. Decidedly not fun, and too time consuming.
    Do you have your schedule yet? I thought you were getting in Monday morning? I am also flying Wednesday night too.
    I get into dfw mid-day Sunday. The only conflict I can see for a 5am workout Monday morning is sleep
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    The only conflict I can see for a 5am workout Monday morning is sleep
    Me too.