View RSS Feed

Elise's Fitness Fun

Confronting the Elements

Rate this Entry
by , March 14th, 2009 at 06:59 PM (965 Views)
Long story, but I was not able to get to the Y today while it was open. This left me with the choice of bagging my run or doing it in the rain. Earlier in the day, I had decided to bag it. Then, I read Jim Thornton's post on the weight reduction thread which discussed the correlation between body fat and speed in sprints among female swimmers. This was enough motivation for me to go for a 4 mile run in the rain. Had it been in the forties or below, I know I would not have done it.

Running in the rain in fifty degrees or above is actually quite enjoyable if you are dressed for it. It keeps you cool the entire time and washes away the sweat. So, I donned a long-sleeve shirt, my tights, laced up my shoes, and headed out the door. When I started out, there was just drizzle. Throughout the run, it alternated between drizzle and a steady downpour. I thought about the normal guy the other day that made the comment that it was too hot to run. I wonder what he would think is more OCD - running 4 miles in 80 degrees or running 4 miles in 55 degrees with pouring rain.

Anyway, here are the details of my run:

Terrain: Rolling hills (on the road)
Total time: 40:36
Average HR: 151

This run really felt pretty good and I was once again encouraged that I didn't have any knee problems or lower back issues. This has somewhat been a light week, but I will take it. My running seems to be feeling a little bit better.

I'm debating deck entering St. Pats in Atlanta and doing the 500 free and 100 free on Sunday. I don't have any expectations, but just want to stay in meet shape. I may do a time trial in practice next week to see where I am on my 500 free.

Back to the past week, here is a review of my week:

Total swimming yards: 7800 yards (3 workouts)
Running miles: 13 miles (4 workouts)
Bike: 20 miles (1 workout)
Weights: 1 workout

Submit "Confronting the Elements" to Digg Submit "Confronting the Elements" to del.icio.us Submit "Confronting the Elements" to StumbleUpon Submit "Confronting the Elements" to Google

Updated March 14th, 2009 at 11:10 PM by elise526

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Please join us at St. Pat's, you will have a wonderful time!
    Can't pass up a meet that close!
    Quote Originally Posted by Donna
    Please join us at St. Pat's, you will have a wonderful time!
    Thanks, Donna. I'm really thinking about it. Always such a well-run meet!

Fort - I probably should take advantage of it. There are only three maybe four meets this year within a 4 hour drive.
    I'd run in the rain over 80 degree heat any day.

Usually come home drenched...it might as well be from rain water.
    Quote Originally Posted by quicksilver
    I'd run in the rain over 80 degree heat any day.

Usually come home drenched...it might as well be from rain water.
    Right on!!