View RSS Feed

Random Nonsense

On the positive side

Rate this Entry
I think my posts have been pretty negative lately which is an accurate reflection of how I feel about swimming lately, but today the opposite was true.

Since I have accepted the fact that I fumbled the ball I am not going to blog all my workouts and go back to posting when I have something interesting to share. I really enjoyed a particular set today.

Warm up
- 250 swim, 200 kick 250 swim
Transition
- 4x150 free/back/free
Main Set #1
- 2x
-- 300 free
-- 4x150 on 2:00 descend 1-4
Main Set #2
- 8x50 kick w/fins on :45
Main Set #3
- 12x50 every 3rd fast on :45
Cool down
- 100 easy

Main Set #3 was great for me. Josh picked the interval and it worked out that going straight from fast into a recovery 50, followed by an ez 50, followed by another fast 50 kept the set moving forward at such a pace that there was no time to dread the next fast effort, but plenty of recovery to keep the effort high. I was happy with 30s on the fasts.

After practice Josh mentioned that he wasn't happy with his 200 at the meet and wants to do more 500s in practice, so next Wednesday I expect to see 8x500s on 6:00 as the main set.

I finally caught up on sleep, which helped my performance today. In the first two months of the year I have flown 48,594 miles and luckily will fly slightly less than that in the next 10 months.

Submit "On the positive side" to Digg Submit "On the positive side" to del.icio.us Submit "On the positive side" to StumbleUpon Submit "On the positive side" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

50K miles in 2 months is brutal. How much of that is work vs fun?
    Why does Josh think doing 500s will help his 200? It is amazing to me how deeply this over distance training notion is embedded in the swimmer psyche.

In masters there is always amble opportunity to fumble the ball and then recover it.

50K? Ugh. Do you sleep well when you travel?
    8 x 500s on 6:00 sounds like hell. Maybe do them 2 on 6:30, 2 on 6:20, 2 on 6:10, 2 on 6:00.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    50K miles in 2 months is brutal. How much of that is work vs fun?
    I don't travel for work, so...
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Why does Josh think doing 500s will help his 200? It is amazing to me how deeply this over distance training notion is embedded in the swimmer psyche.
    He was not happy with the back half of his 200. We do spend a lot of time on distances 150 and under and very little time really working longer distances, so he mildly has a point. What we really should be doing is changing 150s to 200s and doing them faster.

In masters there is always amble opportunity to fumble the ball and then recover it.
    Zones may not suck. I am home every weekend between the WCM training camp and Zones.

50K? Ugh. Do you sleep well when you travel?
    To and from Asia I get plenty of sleep. To Europe the flight isn't long enough to get much sleep and the same is true flying back from Hawaii. I only book overnight flights that I can upgrade to an international business class seat which is critical for getting good sleep. I slept in Asia much better this year than previous years. Europe is no problem at all, just go to bed late wake up late. 10am in Europe is similar to when I wake up at home for swimming.
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    Where do you work? I want your vacation plan!
    OK, then you have zero sympathy from this guy ... but a lot of envy.

On a serious note, I don't find pleasure travel anywhere near as taxing as work travel. When I travel for work, I'm cranking out work while traveling. When I travel for pleasure, I'm well, enjoying myself -- chilling with movies, books, sampling the spirits, etc. Yes, the jetlag's still there, but nowhere near as big an impact as with work travel.
    Quote Originally Posted by knelson
    Where do you work? I want your vacation plan!
    I am hourly. I don't work, I don't get paid. Provides a lot of flexibility with vacation time.
    He was not happy with the back half of his 200. We do spend a lot of time on distances 150 and under and very little time really working longer distances, so he mildly has a point. What we really should be doing is changing 150s to 200s and doing them faster.

Zones may not suck. I am home every weekend between the WCM training camp and Zones.

To and from Asia I get plenty of sleep. To Europe the flight isn't long enough to get much sleep and the same is true flying back from Hawaii. I only book overnight flights that I can upgrade to an international business class seat which is critical for getting good sleep. I slept in Asia much better this year than previous years. Europe is no problem at all, just go to bed late wake up late. 10am in Europe is similar to when I wake up at home for swimming.
    Or more hard lactate sets involving broken 200s a la Salo.

Good! Can you sneak a LCM meet in before Europe?

Yep, I can travel to Europe. Not such good luck going west for me.
    Provides a lot of flexibility with vacation time.
    I wish my wife had your attitude. She runs her own business, but never wants to go on vacation because she might have to give up work.
    OK, then you have zero sympathy from this guy ... but a lot of envy.
    Yes, I created my own problem. It isn't like real life got in the way, it is more like two play times are conflicting with each other.

On a serious note, I don't find pleasure travel anywhere near as taxing as work travel. When I travel for work, I'm cranking out work while traveling. When I travel for pleasure, I'm well, enjoying myself -- chilling with movies, books, sampling the spirits, etc. Yes, the jetlag's still there, but nowhere near as big an impact as with work travel.
    I was only home two weekends the first two months of the year making jetlag recovery difficult. Last year I averaged a trip a month, this year it has been a trip a week.
    Quote Originally Posted by tjrpatt
    8 x 500s on 6:00 sounds like hell. Maybe do them 2 on 6:30, 2 on 6:20, 2 on 6:10, 2 on 6:00.
    Haha Tom! No kidding. I doubt we will see 8x, but I expect them to be around 6:00 or maybe 6:30 with a goal of holding 5:50s.
    Or more hard lactate sets involving broken 200s a la Salo.

Good! Can you sneak a LCM meet in before Europe?
    We actually do a ton of broken 200s, but rarely do we do them correctly.

I don't even think there is a local LCM USAS meet before Europe. Europe is the middle of April.
    Europe is the middle of April.
    Truer words were never... wait a minute
    Quote Originally Posted by knelson
    I wish my wife had your attitude. She runs her own business, but never wants to go on vacation because she might have to give up work.
    We decided to make travel a priority a few years ago, which made it much easier to justify the loss of income from taking time off. But we do take many short trips to fit in with my wife schedule and keep my billable hours up.

I don't know what your wife does, but leaving Thursday night and return Sunday afternoon shouldn't affect business too much.
    I am contemplating the 8 X 500 @ 6:00 set in the near future. It isn't a lot of fun. I think 9 would be better, given my synesthesia.

200s help with every distance. 500s help with 500s. I don't know why this is.
    Quote Originally Posted by aquageek
    200s help with every distance. 500s help with 500s. I don't know why this is.
    The 200 free is the world's best practice swim and the world's worst race swim.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl_S
    The 200 free is the world's best practice swim and the world's worst race swim.
    A one sentence summation of competitive swimming. Accurate and true. Well done!