View RSS Feed

Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine

Meet 3/3/12: Simon's Rock Countdown to Champs Mini Meet

Rate this Entry
Back from the Mini Meet in Great Barrington, MA, this afternoon. Three more Bennington area swimmers joined me along with close to 50 other swimmers for a great afternoon of racing. Bill Meier and the team down in the Berkshires put on a great meet yet again this year.

My times:
200 Fly: 2:23.35
29.75, 35.03 = 1:04.46
39.13, 39.44 = 1:18.57
- My first ever 2fly! Only the 200 free was offered at the meet, so I let everyone around know that I was doing fly. Well, since it is a smaller meet and introducitons were given for all lanes, Bill announced I would be doing it fly - no turning back!
- I tried to follow advice from TG in [ame="http://www.usms.org/forums/showpost.php?p=255214&postcount=342"]the Butterfly Lane[/ame] and loafed the first 100 (should have loafed more), and then that piano was waiting for me on the second half! I kept wondering if anyone would notice if I just sneaked in some one arm fly. I will keep experimenting with the DPS fly that Swimasaur employs ...
- I am really pleased with this time, and happy to check it off my bucket list. Probably won't do it again for a while (I'm thinking once an age group).

500 Free: 5:27.37
29.72, 32.98 = 1:02.70
30.82, 34.91 = 1:05.73
34.24, 33.44 = 1:07.68
33.97, 34.30 = 1:08.27
31.98, 30.98 = 1:02.96
- I was gunning to get under 5:30 and did it - very pumped. I roughly followed advice from [ame="http://forums.usms.org/showpost.php?p=174607&postcount=2"]pwolf66 in a forum thread[/ame] with a strong first 100 then adding more kick. I really went hard for the last 100 and was excited to see the final time - I will aim to keep more even in the front half and pick it up sooner at the end next time (the second half was 2 seconds slower than the first). This was the first time I have done a 500 free since high school.

100 Breast 1:19.06
37.45, 41.61
- Worked the pullouts to the max, and felt better with the pull end of the stroke to get under 1:20. Jim suggested I keep working to not sweep so wide with my kick, so I'll keep plugging with this, my least favorite stroke with hopes to improve my IM times.

w/u was 1300, 200 after fly, 100 after 500 = 2400 yards total for the day as I swam to three masters PB's with my new Yingfa suit.
-------------------

It was fun to have fellow teammate and forumite GregJS car pool with my family en route to breaking 1 minute in the 100 FR in his first masters meet. Kim and Joelle also made the trip down from the Bennington area - we all ended up doing the 500 FR and counted for each other. It was strange - guys swam before girls as the heats were not mixed. Worked out for the 500 as the girls counted for us then we reciprocated the favor back to them.

I was also able to meet up with Dan, Craig, and Kyle from the Pittsfield team, as well as the folks from Simon's Rock (including our old teammate Jon, who swam in his first ever masters meet in the 500 free). I also met some of the FISH swimmers from Poughkeepsie, NY, (perhaps swimmerb212 shook my hand?) before stopping at a Mexican restaurant on the way home for supper. Great day! Now to update those rascally times on my sidebar - filling the hole in today!

Submit "Meet 3/3/12: Simon's Rock Countdown to Champs Mini Meet" to Digg Submit "Meet 3/3/12: Simon's Rock Countdown to Champs Mini Meet" to del.icio.us Submit "Meet 3/3/12: Simon's Rock Countdown to Champs Mini Meet" to StumbleUpon Submit "Meet 3/3/12: Simon's Rock Countdown to Champs Mini Meet" to Google

Updated March 3rd, 2012 at 09:31 PM by rxleakem

Categories
Masters Swim Meets / Events

Comments

Awesome job! That's a great 200 fly, especially for the first time ever. You sure you don't want to do it again?
    Thanks! I figure once an age group, so I will be set for a while! Thanks for the inspiration to motivate me to do it
    Nice 500 Mike. I like the diversity in your meet entries by the way. The 200 fly never crosses most people's minds.

Just my opinion...I think you've got a better 500 time up your sleeve in the future. That final 100 split indicates that there might have been a bit more gas in the tank before you went into the home stretch.
    Thanks for the note, Quick! This check off challenge idea is a great idea - also good motivation to try new swims. I will be doing the 500 again, I agree that there is more work to be done with that event.
    Great job!
    Nice job on the 200 Fly!! You even beat my time today!! (scm for me)

I tried to follow advice from TG in
    the Butterfly Lane
    the Butterfly Lane
    and loafed the first 100 (should have loafed more), and then that piano was waiting for me on the second half!
    Forget his advice and just go for it on the first 100 (but controlled going for it). Either way, the piano is there...I had a small one today also!

Looks like the 500 had a little extra left at the end, huh? Still, nice job!

And long live the Yingfa suit!! I opted to go without mine today...just briefed it.
    It was a great afternoon - and real nice meeting some of your family and Kim and Joelle.

Didn't realize those were all PB's toady. Congrats!

(And now that I think of it, since this was my first official meet, these were all PB's for me too. Yahoo!)
    Quote Originally Posted by That Guy
    Great job!
    Thanks TG. Looks like you had a good day too
    Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1
    Nice job on the 200 Fly!! You even beat my time today!! (scm for me)
    That small print is hard to see!
    I was happy to get through it legally, and that there is a lot of good advice to be found in the forums.

Thanks for the encouragement, bro.
    Quote Originally Posted by GregJS
    (And now that I think of it, since this was my first official meet, these were all PB's for me too. Yahoo!)
    Thanks Greg. It was good to get to know you better, and have that shortcut through your old stomping grounds.

Great swimming today. The nice part of first meets is that all times are best times in this new chapter of our swimming life.
    Quote Originally Posted by rxleakem
    Thanks TG. Looks like you had a good day too
    . Thanks! Coming soon to a blarrrgh post near you...
    Awesome job today!! Impressive swims! Just swimming a 200 fly and finishing is impressive to me, but your time was great!
    What a wonderful day of racing--congrats! I love the idea of doing all the events occasionally--but I also have a couple where I think once an age group is enough--or maybe even once a decade!
    Great swims! Looks like you had a great meet. And I agree with Susan. If that's your first 200 fly, you should do it again!
    Thanks guys! I have to admit that the 2fly was not the worst thing in the world and will swim it again. I'll need to work more fly technique into my practices before that happens, though.
    Updated March 4th, 2012 at 11:34 PM by rxleakem