Meet 3/3/12: Simon's Rock Countdown to Champs Mini Meet
by, March 3rd, 2012 at 08:09 PM (1097 Views)
Back from the Mini Meet in Great Barrington, MA, this afternoon. Three more Bennington area swimmers joined me along with close to 50 other swimmers for a great afternoon of racing. Bill Meier and the team down in the Berkshires put on a great meet yet again this year.
200 Fly: 2:23.35
29.75, 35.03 = 1:04.46
39.13, 39.44 = 1:18.57
- My first ever 2fly! Only the 200 free was offered at the meet, so I let everyone around know that I was doing fly. Well, since it is a smaller meet and introducitons were given for all lanes, Bill announced I would be doing it fly - no turning back!
- I tried to follow advice from TG in [ame="http://www.usms.org/forums/showpost.php?p=255214&postcount=342"]the Butterfly Lane[/ame] and loafed the first 100 (should have loafed more), and then that piano was waiting for me on the second half! I kept wondering if anyone would notice if I just sneaked in some one arm fly. I will keep experimenting with the DPS fly that Swimasaur employs ...
- I am really pleased with this time, and happy to check it off my bucket list. Probably won't do it again for a while (I'm thinking once an age group).
500 Free: 5:27.37
29.72, 32.98 = 1:02.70
30.82, 34.91 = 1:05.73
34.24, 33.44 = 1:07.68
33.97, 34.30 = 1:08.27
31.98, 30.98 = 1:02.96
- I was gunning to get under 5:30 and did it - very pumped. I roughly followed advice from [ame="http://forums.usms.org/showpost.php?p=174607&postcount=2"]pwolf66 in a forum thread[/ame] with a strong first 100 then adding more kick. I really went hard for the last 100 and was excited to see the final time - I will aim to keep more even in the front half and pick it up sooner at the end next time (the second half was 2 seconds slower than the first). This was the first time I have done a 500 free since high school.
100 Breast 1:19.06
- Worked the pullouts to the max, and felt better with the pull end of the stroke to get under 1:20. Jim suggested I keep working to not sweep so wide with my kick, so I'll keep plugging with this, my least favorite stroke with hopes to improve my IM times.
w/u was 1300, 200 after fly, 100 after 500 = 2400 yards total for the day as I swam to three masters PB's with my new Yingfa suit.
It was fun to have fellow teammate and forumite GregJS car pool with my family en route to breaking 1 minute in the 100 FR in his first masters meet. Kim and Joelle also made the trip down from the Bennington area - we all ended up doing the 500 FR and counted for each other. It was strange - guys swam before girls as the heats were not mixed. Worked out for the 500 as the girls counted for us then we reciprocated the favor back to them.
I was also able to meet up with Dan, Craig, and Kyle from the Pittsfield team, as well as the folks from Simon's Rock (including our old teammate Jon, who swam in his first ever masters meet in the 500 free). I also met some of the FISH swimmers from Poughkeepsie, NY, (perhaps swimmerb212 shook my hand?) before stopping at a Mexican restaurant on the way home for supper. Great day! Now to update those rascally times on my sidebar - filling the hole in today!