View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Warrenton Meet, Surprise NR & PRs, March 4

Rate this Entry
I swam out of my mind today. I'm so excited that I doubt I'll sleep a wink tonight!

Woke up at the crack of dawn for me, 6:15 am, to make sure I was awake and caffeinated for the 50 minute drive out to the Warrenton meet. I was extremely relaxed since it was a local meet and I was just swimming 3 x 50. I had a solid warm up. I then headed to the locker room and ripped a tech suit all down the side. lol. I donned an old LZR Elite with small holes and very little leg compression left. However, I'm still thinking it's my lucky suit.

50 Breast, 33.3

Wow. I had been thinking, based on the 38.2 in SCM I swam tapered at NE Champs, that I might go a 34 high today. So this was much faster than expected. And I didn't have the best start. As happens sometimes, I was too deep on the start and was not at the surface after the pullout. I had to float to the top a little. My left heel also kicked air a couple times. (Probably a result of no whip kick in practice.) Still, I was very pleased with the time. Technically, it's a PR, beating a previous B70 best of 33.8. (I previously swam a 32.9 with a Jaked at Nats in 2010, but was DQ'd.) I may rest on this time for the SCY season. I'm not swimming 50 breast at Nationals b/c of the order of events. But this time would have been #2 last season.

50 fly, PR, 26.79

I felt like my race execution was right on. I had an exceedingly good start, very fast off the blocks and a great push. I had clean breakouts and hit my walls just right. I only took 1 breath after the breakout on the second 25 (pretty sure all other races I've taken 2). The only obvious flaw I could detect was that I grazed my right hand on the lane line twice on the second 25; the lanes in this pool are very narrow. My previous PR was a 27.0 from Feb. 2009 in a B70, so I was just shocked by the time! The NR in this event is 26.77, so I narrowly missed it by .02. But since I never expected to go under 27, ever, I was just thrilled.

50 Back, PR & NR, 27.4

All I can say is that I was absolutely dumbfounded when I looked at the clock, and had to stare at it several times. I basically killed the NR I set last October at the Sprint Classic of 28.23. I had a feeling I might be slightly faster today after my first two events. But I never expected to be this fast. Race execution was also near perfect -- so very rare. I had a quick start and was underwater (16 kicks) to the 14.75 mark. I was a little long going into the turn maybe, but Jeff Roddin said I flipped quickly. My arms were moving so fast and throwing up water that I had a tiny bit of trouble seeing the flags. I hit the finish well too with no glide. 8 strokes down & 11 back. My prior PR was a 27.9 from 2009 (then an NR) in a full body LZR so this was blazing for me. This may replace last year's 50 SCM back as the best swim of my masters career.

Went out to lunch with friends after, which is always one of the nicest parts of meets!

Unofficial meet results are here:
http://www.warrentonmasters.org/
(Attached are a couple pics from the meet director, one of me looking quite stunned.)

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Thoughts:

On the drive home, I was thinking about how I popped off those times right now. I decided:

1. Jan & Feb may have been two of my best months -- ever -- of training. 5 swims most weeks with a ton of hard speed workouts. No question I've been training at a much higher level than last summer & fall. Part of this is due to being healthy with thyroid issues in the past.

2. I was pretty rested for this meet. Looking back at my blog, I basically rested 9 days. I backed off a few days earlier than planned when I started feeling overly fatigued from training. Plus, I rested more than I normally would have this week when I felt a cold coming on.

3. I was very relaxed because this is a low key local in season meet (though the pool is quite fast). Being relaxed with no expectations certainly makes a meet more enjoyable. But sometimes I also think it helps you swim/sprint faster. I also seem to do well/better at meets that don't require travel.

4. Less is more wrt events. I had signed up for the 50 free. But with only 20 minutes or less after that until 50 fly, I decided to scratch. Jazz Hands was a bit tired on his 50 fly. So I definitely did the right thing.

5. The Speedo concoction of strong heavily sugared coffee seems to work for me.
heehee

6. Good execution. So very rare indeed when things go just right. Since I never practice starts, I was psyched to nail my fly start.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	421118_402626713096123_115488881809909_5393776_1617413541_n.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	107.6 KB 
ID:	6802   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	417336_402626673096127_115488881809909_5393775_2088559942_n.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	83.1 KB 
ID:	6803  

Submit "Warrenton Meet, Surprise NR & PRs, March 4" to Digg Submit "Warrenton Meet, Surprise NR & PRs, March 4" to del.icio.us Submit "Warrenton Meet, Surprise NR & PRs, March 4" to StumbleUpon Submit "Warrenton Meet, Surprise NR & PRs, March 4" to Google

Updated March 7th, 2012 at 10:25 AM by The Fortress

Categories
Masters Swim Meets / Events

Comments

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Wow, great job!
    I'm so excited for you. Please tell me someone video'd these fantastic swims.
    Start patching that suit up now
    Quote Originally Posted by That Guy
    Wow, great job!
    Thank, TG!
    Quote Originally Posted by kwhenderson
    I'm so excited for you. Please tell me someone video'd these fantastic swims.
    Thanks Kristen!

Honestly, I didn't expect to swim that fast so didn't think about video. Seems like most of the video-ing I see is at bigger meets. I guess sometimes small non-travel meets can be just as exciting.
    Quote Originally Posted by rxleakem
    Start patching that suit up now
    That suit is history. I will never touch another FS3.
    Just fantastic! Congratulations!
    I'm looking at the schedule for Spring Nationals. Fifty back and fly are pretty close to each other on Sunday, which is unfortunate, but you can manage it with good conditioning.

But also, the 50 free is all by itself on Saturday, adjacent to none of the races you usually swim. You must do it! Very fast butterflyers are often very fast freestylers, and I think you could get that NR at 24.9.
    Quote Originally Posted by ourswimmer
    Just fantastic! Congratulations!
    Thank you! Monofin power.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazz Hands
    I'm looking at the schedule for Spring Nationals. Fifty back and fly are pretty close to each other on Sunday, which is unfortunate, but you can manage it with good conditioning.

But also, the 50 free is all by itself on Saturday, adjacent to none of the races you usually swim. You must do it! Very fast butterflyers are often very fast freestylers, and I think you could get that NR at 24.9.
    Yes, I had been planning on the 50 free at Nats! I may do that event at Zones as well. But I'm not sure dolphin kicking works as well in that event. And there is an actual flip turn as well.

Those 2 events are fairly close and, more importantly, on day 3 of the meet when I will be tired. I was happy to get two very fast swims in at this meet. There will now be little time pressure on those events at Nats. I'll do the 50 fly again at Zones most likely.
    Nice Leslie. I hope I can tear it up in a similar fashion in a couple of weeks after all the HIT.
    Way to go!
    Great swims!! Congratulations.
    Great job Leslie!! Excellent swims. What do you think about how your lack of heavy weight lifting (because of your elbows) affected your swims?
    Quote Originally Posted by SwimStud
    Nice Leslie. I hope I can tear it up in a similar fashion in a couple of weeks after all the HIT.
    Way to go!
    No one wants to see you shred your brief like that
    Wow! Incredible swims.
    Hey this meet is already in the database http://www.usms.org/comp/meets/meets...0120304SPRINGY
    Totally aweome Leslie! It was great to see you today and to see you swim so fast! See you in a few weeks at Albatross
    Nice swimming Leslie!!
    Quote Originally Posted by SwimStud
    Way to go!
    You will tear it up! Just remember, though, that HIT requires some rest for super fast swimming.
    Quote Originally Posted by swimfree
    Great job Leslie!! Excellent swims. What do you think about how your lack of heavy weight lifting (because of your elbows) affected your swims?
    Thanks!

Well, I did wonder if maybe I was more tapered than I thought without all the upper body lifting ... On the other hand, I've always thought (consistent with conventional wisdom) that it took longer to rest the legs. It also crossed my mind that, now that I have a base from years of drylands, 2x a week was better than 3x a week (which I had done more frequently in the past) for faster swimming. So hard to tell and make sense of all the various factors. The only thing that really sticks out is that my pool work has been much better since the end of December.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast