View RSS Feed

Swim like an Orca, but faster !

Just thought I'd drop in

Rate this Entry
Insanity is defined, as the cliche goes, doing something the same way every-time, and expecting different results. If I put my workout routine up against this argument, then I'm insane.
I was born to be tall and skinny, I lack the muscling required to be a great swimmer, yet I dive in, hoping the clock will reflect progress and some magic will happen in my power.
Although I didn't compete in 2011 I did manage to get certified in scuba and restored a 1965 Venture 21 sailboat.
So, my coach and I talked about my stroke, which is about as good as I can get it, but like I've blogged before, I lack the muscle mass and strength. So we plotted out a plan that includes morning planks, bur-pees and pull-ups, among other things. Right now I struggle with even 2 or 3 pull-ups.

I attended the Strawberry Canyon Aquatic Masters meet at Cal Berkeley and my times were nothing to brag about.
200IM DQ (the lady judge said I touched one hand on the BR/FR transition...really?) But that was good, cause my time was 10 seconds over.
100 FR - 1:02
100 Bk -1:20 (I swam 1:17 a year ago)
100 IM - 1:15 (no change in 2 years)

I've been training 200IM, 100 FR, 100BK and 100 IM. This year has been the first for completing a 400IM without stopping and doing more than 2 100 Fly's in training, so I'm making progress somewhere. albeit slow.
And slow it is, as I settle with 50, I continue to swim, eat organic, (for the most part) exercise and try to engage with more aquatic activities to have more fun with growing older.

Submit "Just thought I'd drop in" to Digg Submit "Just thought I'd drop in" to del.icio.us Submit "Just thought I'd drop in" to StumbleUpon Submit "Just thought I'd drop in" to Google

Comments