View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

GMU Implodes

Rate this Entry
Yikes! Was hoping to go to a "normal" masters workout on Sunday. But the plumbing went haywire at GMU last night. They had to cancel Senior Champs and our masters practice. The plumbing backed up and, er, flooded everywhere. I imagine suit disintegration will be in full force when they're done shocking the pool ...

So, had to do another sprinty type practice. Perfectly fine, as I have a meet in 6 days. My shoulder was a little iffy from weights and tossing and turning last night, so I wore fins.

SCY, solo:

Warm up:

800 variety warm up

Aerobic Set:

20 x 50 @ 1:00

odds, easy speed backstroke working SDks w/nose clip, 1st 25 = 12 dolphin kicks, 2nd 25 = 10 or so.

evens, tempo dolphin kick w/board

Thought: SDKs are way easier w/the nose clip. There was little perceived effort in these 50s, yet I was coming in on 29.5-30. The only effort was holding my breath. If I really want to make progress in this area, I need to get more serious about CO2 tolerance at practice. I've been shirking it in backstroke for many months.

50 EZ

Speed sets:

6 x 100 free @ 2:00

#1 25 fast, 75 cruise
#2 50 cruise, 25 fast, 25 cruise
#3 25 cruise, 25 fast, 50 cruise
#4 75 cruise, 25 fast
#5 fast (:55ish)
#6 easy

This is harder than you might think. It's rather exhausting to switch gears mid swim than just doing a fast 25.

100 EZ

3 x (50 AFAP backstroke from push w/nose clip + 200 EZ)

#1 went 25-25.5ish
#2 went 26ish, trying to use hands/arms a bit
#3 went 25.5ish trying to snap knees more on the SDK

Moral of the story: Don't think, just swim. Or, possibly, the first one in an AFAP set may be the fastest.

Total: 3300

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Random Thoughts:

1. Was thinking about sports injuries a bit today. In general (many exceptions), it seems like women tend to get injuries from the waist up and men tend to get them from the waist down. Maybe cuz women are typically bigger on bottom and men are typically bigger on top?

2. Was thinking that women should commence wearing briefs or jammers under their B70s like men. This would protect against embarassing suit malfunctions. It would also give women the benefit of something men who do this have had for a long time: increased compression through the butt/hip/thigh area. However, this thought is now wasted as FINA just rule that only one suit will be allowed, effective immediately. I wonder if masters who aren't aware of FINA ruling will nonetheless carry on with this? What happens if someone is wearing illegal suits at a masters meet?

3. Who benefits the most from weights, a skinny swimmer or a mesomorphic swimmer?

4. Had some oatmeal today, at Jazz's suggestion. I realize She Puff does this on a daily basis. It wasn't too bad. Seemed to have more staying power than my usual breakfast.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ugh. Fort Son has the flu ... If Mini-Fort catches it before her meet this weekend, I'll have to move out it will be so ugly in the house ...

Submit "GMU Implodes" to Digg Submit "GMU Implodes" to del.icio.us Submit "GMU Implodes" to StumbleUpon Submit "GMU Implodes" to Google

Updated March 15th, 2009 at 11:35 PM by The Fortress

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Chris Stevenson's Avatar
    Wow, Sr Champs cancelled.

    Nice practice. On my first read I missed the part where you wore fins and I was shocked by your fast times! Of course, they are good with fins too.

    Be cautious with your CO2 tolerance sets, learn your body's signals and increase slowly.
  2. The Fortress's Avatar
    They finally started the meet at another pool around 5:00 or so. Nasty incident.

    I'll take the CO2 sets slowly. Probably just do 10 x 50 back or 1- x 75 back pretty routinely for awhile. Probably should do more backstroke shooters too.

    Never thought I would like a nose clip! Thinking of trying it for the Albatross 100 back.
    Updated March 15th, 2009 at 07:56 PM by The Fortress
  3. Jazz Hands's Avatar
    3. Interesting question. I think it might be about equal, and more dependent on how well they respond to the training. Some people are mesomorphs in hiding, they just need the weights to bring it out.

    4. Was that oatmeal cooked in water? I'm surprised you tolerated that. I can't stand it without milk.
  4. KEWebb18's Avatar
    I think that I might steal your workout and give it a shot, modified for sprint free work. Based on my meet times today I really need to work on my speed on the 100's. I tend to die after a 50.
  5. Iwannafly's Avatar
    I cook my oatmeal in soy milk and it is much better than oatmeal cooked in water! I can imagine it's even better cooked in real milk.
  6. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazz Hands
    3. Interesting question. I think it might be about equal, and more dependent on how well they respond to the training. Some people are mesomorphs in hiding, they just need the weights to bring it out.

    4. Was that oatmeal cooked in water? I'm surprised you tolerated that. I can't stand it without milk.
    3. Most mesomorphs I've known, even if skinny, still looked "toned" though.

    4. Yep, cooked it water. Added bit of milk, banana, cinammon and nutmeg with a touch of brown sugar. I'm sure a touch can't kill me.
  7. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KEWebb18
    I think that I might steal your workout and give it a shot, modified for sprint free work. Based on my meet times today I really need to work on my speed on the 100's. I tend to die after a 50.
    I've had the problem of dying on the last leg of a 100 before, especially fly. You need a mix of cardio, 100s on good rest, 100s lactate style with loads of rest, broken 100s, maybe some 125s, some fast 50s and fast 25s. A lot of things go into a quality 100.
  8. elise526's Avatar
    3. Interesting question indeed! It might be hard to establish a direct relationship because of all the other factors mixed in. As a former coach, I've made a few observations over the years though. I've also tried to get some pointers from other coaches.

    GENERALLY, ectomorphs tend to be slow-twitch types, although not always. These types generally have a good bit of muscular endurance but lack power. As a result, they can benefit the most from high weights and low reps IMO. Even more so than mesomorphs. GENERALLY, mesomorphs tend to be fast-twitch and lacking in muscular endurance, so they benefit more than ectomorphs do from a weight-lifting program focusing on low weights and high reps.

    Those doing 50s and 100s don't need to worry about muscular endurance though. The types that excel in 50s and 100s usually are mesomorphs and so, they probably are going to be on a high weight/low rep program.

    Where it gets interesting is on 200s. You get some overlap here between ectomorphs and mesopmorphs. So, if I wanted a mesomorph to improve on their 200, I would have them on a low weight /high reps weight program. If I wanted an ectomorph to improve on the 200, I probably would have them on a high weight/low rep program.
    Updated March 15th, 2009 at 08:36 PM by elise526
  9. qbrain's Avatar
    1. I am pretty sure it works...

    3. I am changing you question. A skinny swimmer is probably skinny because they are burning more calories than they are consuming. This is quite easy as a kid, with 2 practices a day, you might only have one adequate meal a day. Ever notice that a high school swimmer is stick then, then muscles up at college?

    So I think any swimmer with the extra energy capacity to strength train will benefit. How much depends on the athlete, not really if they started out skinny or not.

    Good luck dodging the flu.
  10. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Iwannafly
    I cook my oatmeal in soy milk and it is much better than oatmeal cooked in water! I can imagine it's even better cooked in real milk.
    I saw a recipe where you can add sweetened condensed milk. I"m sure that would violate Jazz's no sugar/crap edict though.
  11. Jazz Hands's Avatar
    I don't think I can take full credit for the "no crap" dietary guideline. And actually it's "up to 10% crap", or whatever.
  12. qbrain's Avatar
    Jeez, forget Jazz's rules and just eat oatmeal cookies for breakfast.
  13. qbrain's Avatar
    Or better yet, just have chocolate cake for breakfast.

    http://www.videosift.com/video/Bill-...efor-Breakfast
  14. The Fortress's Avatar
    I don't have a sweet tooth that much, guys!
  15. Chris Stevenson's Avatar
    I love oatmeal with milk. I'll usually add a chopped apple and, if I must sweeten it, I'll use raisins/craisins.

    QB, I have always loved that Cosby routine. With all the talk about choc milk being the "perfect" recovery drink, I think perfectly good substitutes like brownies, chocolate ice cream and cake have been overlooked. More research is needed! (Unlike Fort, my sweet tooth is well developed.)
  16. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazz Hands
    I don't think I can take full credit for the "no crap" dietary guideline. And actually it's "up to 10% crap", or whatever.
    That's right! I love that rule: "healthy + 10% crap."
  17. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by elise526
    3. Interesting question indeed! It might be hard to establish a direct relationship because of all the other factors mixed in. As a former coach, I've made a few observations over the years though. I've also tried to get some pointers from other coaches.

    GENERALLY, ectomorphs tend to be slow-twitch types, although not always. These types generally have a good bit of muscular endurance but lack power. As a result, they can benefit the most from high weights and low reps IMO. Even more so than mesomorphs. GENERALLY, mesomorphs tend to be fast-twitch and lacking in muscular endurance, so they benefit more than ectomorphs do from a weight-lifting program focusing on low weights and high reps.

    Those doing 50s and 100s don't need to worry about muscular endurance though. The types that excel in 50s and 100s usually are mesomorphs and so, they probably are going to be on a high weight/low rep program.

    Where it gets interesting is on 200s. You get some overlap here between ectomorphs and mesopmorphs. So, if I wanted a mesomorph to improve on their 200, I would have them on a low weight /high reps weight program. If I wanted an ectomorph to improve on the 200, I probably would have them on a high weight/low rep program.
    See a lot of tall skinny sprinters though ... I think Karen Duggan just pointed out something to that effect.

    Of course, I did see a WR erased by someone who does fit that description whatsoever recently.
  18. qbrain's Avatar
    Yeah Fort, I believe you.

    Lets see, Chris likes beer relays, brownies, chocolate ice cream and cake. Our stomachs might be related.
  19. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Stevenson
    I love oatmeal with milk. I'll usually add a chopped apple and, if I must sweeten it, I'll use raisins/craisins.

    QB, I have always loved that Cosby routine. With all the talk about choc milk being the "perfect" recovery drink, I think perfectly good substitutes like brownies, chocolate ice cream and cake have been overlooked. More research is needed! (Unlike Fort, my sweet tooth is well developed.)
    Maybe I'll try apples next. Not a lover of raisins. Don't mind currants. Going to have to google some recipes.
  20. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    Yeah Fort, I believe you.

    Lets see, Chris likes beer relays, brownies, chocolate ice cream and cake. Our stomachs might be related.
    I've previously confessed my potato chip addiction. I prefer salty to sweet things.

    Beer's always good.

    I told Jazz the other day that people I know in their 30s-40s tend to lose weight most easily when they give up their moderate drinking. Works more quickly, apparently (no experience myself), than the "healthy + 10% crap" rule.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast