View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Friday, March 9

Rate this Entry
Gym:

30 minutes rehab exercises for the various twingey body parts

30 minutes foam roller/stretch/yoga

Swim/SCY/Solo:

600 various

10 x 50 fly drills
odds = caterpillar @ 1:10
evens = single arm @ 1:00
-- lap swimmer interrupted to ask what stroke I was doing. lol

10 x 25 DPK back shooters @ :40
50 EZ

10 x 25 long breast pullouts @ :40
50 EZ

8 x 25 DPK belly shooters @ :40
50 EZ

8 x 25 no breath DPS free @ :40
-- working on better head position
50 EZ

Total: 2200

hottub, 20 min


++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I was supposed to meet up with Speedo today, but he was crammed at work. May have been for the best anyway. I was tired from 2 speed workouts (1 the meet) and a lactate workout since Sunday. Definitely due for a slow recovery workout. And my jabbed shoulders and back were still slightly sore.

After a couple weeks of waffling, I entered the Albatross Meet on March 17. I entered 100 fly (likely 50 split), 100 back, and 50 free. My thinking is that, after Warrenton, I want to crank out a fast rested (first event) 50 fly. I definitely want to swim one 100, and chose backstroke. It will be good practice in working on turnover for my 100 at Nats, which is a focus event there. 50 free is right at the end and I'll get to swim in the fast all girl heat. I will most likely do a lot of back SDKs off the turn unless I chicken out. But it seems like this would be a good time to experiment with that.

I'll probably do essentially the same workouts I did the 5 days before the Warrenton meet for this meet. Then, it's cram cram cram before taper time. I am pretty sure I do not need my usual 3 week taper with my revised training regimen. I'm not sure how I'll work around Zones with it only 2 weeks before Nats. I will likely resolve not to care about those times and swim off events and fun relays.

I have a scratchy throat, which I hope it not a prelude to some spring ailment. I'm hoping it's just the high pollen count. And I feel very bad for Fort Son. He's not getting any better, even feels worse, after taking a training break. He went in for a lyme test today, just to be safe. The freshman boat could be really hurting with him and another recruit down and out.

Submit "Friday, March 9" to Digg Submit "Friday, March 9" to del.icio.us Submit "Friday, March 9" to StumbleUpon Submit "Friday, March 9" to Google

Updated March 9th, 2012 at 06:46 PM by The Fortress

Categories
Swim Workouts , Yoga

Comments

  1. qbrain's Avatar
    I have a scratchy throat, which I hope it not a prelude to some spring ailment.
    I think it is allergies. Stay hydrated and let your body do its thing and you will be fine.

    Poor FortSon. It is always the over achievers who get smited by mono, the slackers never get it. The worst is how variable the recovery is. Two weeks? Six months? Something like that.
  2. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    I think it is allergies. Stay hydrated and let your body do its thing and you will be fine.

    Poor FortSon. It is always the over achievers who get smited by mono, the slackers never get it. The worst is how variable the recovery is. Two weeks? Six months? Something like that.
    Yeah, he sounds really depressed about the situation. And he's an exercise addict like his parents.

    I worry his bout may last longer having tried to train through some of it. Mono is super variable. Tried to tell him that last night.
  3. chowmi's Avatar
    Fort, how much total elapsed time are your typical days? At the least the 30/30/20 hot tub, plus swim - 2 hours? Add in your travel time, too. I think when I am an empty nester, I will work out more, and most likely add longer stretching type exercises, not more yardarge in any significant amount. I am always rushing at the 1 hour mark, always feel very on-the-clock, and I do sneak-stretching during my kids' activities.
  4. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chowmi
    Fort, how much total elapsed time are your typical days? At the least the 30/30/20 hot tub, plus swim - 2 hours? Add in your travel time, too. I think when I am an empty nester, I will work out more, and most likely add longer stretching type exercises, not more yardarge in any significant amount. I am always rushing at the 1 hour mark, always feel very on-the-clock, and I do sneak-stretching during my kids' activities.
    I was lucky to get in an hour of any exercise when my kids were younger and I worked. I have much more time now, especially with Teen Fort driving so I don't have to pick her up for practices everyday at school.

    If I'm doing a 3000 yard hard speed workout, it will often take 90 minutes. I rarely leave in less than 75-80. (The recovery workout was only 50 min or so.) There is 30-35 minutes of travel back and forth. If I sit in the hot tub for 15, that's almost 2:30.

    The sprint workouts take a long time with the long rest intervals and recovery swimming. But I feel the longer time period is essential for me. I am doing more AFAP yards this season, and I think I'm onto something with that. But my overall workout time is probably down. I'm not really doing many doubles, somewhat less gym time, less bikram, probably more recovery time on weekends. I do spend a goodly amount of time stretching and doing stabilizing exercises. I have no idea how some people can get away with not doing this. My shoulders would be screaming at me if I weren't stretching my back. I am already looking forward to my massage next week!

    Of course, after all this focus on fast swimming in practice, I'll be dying to go back to more well rounded training in July.
  5. chowmi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    I was lucky to get in an hour of any exercise when my kids were younger and I worked. I have much more time now, especially with Teen Fort driving so I don't have to pick her up for practices everyday at school.

    If I'm doing a 3000 yard hard speed workout, it will often take 90 minutes. I rarely leave in less than 75-80. (The recovery workout was only 50 min or so.) There is 30-35 minutes of travel back and forth. If I sit in the hot tub for 15, that's almost 2:30.

    The sprint workouts take a long time with the long rest intervals and recovery swimming. But I feel the longer time period is essential for me. I am doing more AFAP yards this season, and I think I'm onto something with that. But my overall workout time is probably down. I'm not really doing many doubles, somewhat less gym time, less bikram, probably more recovery time on weekends. I do spend a goodly amount of time stretching and doing stabilizing exercises. I have no idea how some people can get away with not doing this. My shoulders would be screaming at me if I weren't stretching my back. I am already looking forward to my massage next week!

    Of course, after all this focus on fast swimming in practice, I'll be dying to go back to more well rounded training in July.
    I can completely understand why my mom "worked out" 4 hours a day when she retired! She was at the club for HOURS!!!
  6. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chowmi
    I can completely understand why my mom "worked out" 4 hours a day when she retired! She was at the club for HOURS!!!
    My Mom has done that too.

    And when you're my age, you'll have more time too. If your girls are like most teen girls, they won't want to spend much time with you. And you will need to work out more for stress release.