View RSS Feed

swimsuit addict

Diving looks fun

Rate this Entry
I got in a short but good swim at the Y today. I had been out of the water for several days with a sinus infection. With the help of some antibiotics, it’s gotten better enough that wearing goggles no longer seems like torture, so I decided that today would be a good time to work on figuring out why I bounce a bit when breathing on freestyle, and to what extent I can eliminate it. I did:

600 scy warmup (400s, 200k)
1200, done as 25s and 50s of various drills and breathing patterns
200 easy warmdown

I paid attention to the angle of my hands when breathing and not breathing, compared how much of my goggle was out of the water when breathing to each side, and experimented with the timing of the breath. Maybe the most useful thing I found to do was swimming while breathing every stroke, staying as smooth as possible, then trying to not change that technique when switching to 2- or 3- stroke breathing.

Afterwards I went upstairs for weights. Lifting with a friend makes it a lot more fun—I remember aztimm mentioning a while back that he met up with a buddy to lift weights, and I’m glad that I have someone now too. Here’s what I did:

2 sets of 10 reps military press w/ 10-lb dumbbells
2 x 10 flies w/10
2 x 10 curls w/10
2 x 10 one-armed row: 1 w/10, 1w /12.5
2 x 10 deltoid raises in 3 directions w/5
2 x 10 lat pulldowns on machine (don’t remember weight)
1 x 20 shoulder-blade pinches on lat machine
2 x 10 benchpress w/45
1 x 20 little upwards movements w/ benchpress bar

This marks the end of my second week of doing weights, so I’m still doing pretty light stuff—none of this was to failure. Today we added in leg work too—all on machines: extensions, hamstring curls, adductors, abductors, leg press, 2 x 12 reps of all. (I’m not very good at remembering the alleged poundage on the machines.) Then we even did some ab work, which I definitely need to do more of.

Over the weekend—before I came down sick—I attended the Aquapalooza meet put on by my team. It was my first sprint workout of the year, and my results weren’t very pretty, but I wasn’t expecting them to be. Mostly it was a chance to get together with teammates and have fun, and that I definitely did. We had 90 people from the team attending—there were lots of relays to swim, cheers to learn, tattoos to wear, and teammates to visit with. People are really getting excited about the upcoming meet in Iceland, and I think we’ll have some good numbers there. It’s fun to be part of a big team that is really intent about showing up and performing well at a focus meet, especially one in a semi-exotic locale.

But the very coolest thing about Aquapalooza was the diving competition that followed the swimming. TNYA added a diving team about a year ago, and some of my swimming lanemates who first took up the sport then have learned enough to be able to compete. (That requires being able to do 6 different dives credibly). There are also some folks who dove in college who are just amazing to watch. I sat there mesmerized through the whole thing, and all I could think was “I have to do that!!!” I’ve never done any diving, but watching some of the relative newbies up on the boards inspired me. So I’m toying with the idea of doing the diving bootcamp that the team puts on in the fall and learning a little more about what that sport is all about.

Submit "Diving looks fun" to Digg Submit "Diving looks fun" to del.icio.us Submit "Diving looks fun" to StumbleUpon Submit "Diving looks fun" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Yes it is definitely more fun to lift with someone. When I'm alone I probably don't rest enough between sets. But I do get in much more. I'll push myself more with heavy weights if I have a friend to spot.

Just be careful with diving. When I was still in the army, I remember how tempting the diving boards looked after swimming one day, and thought I'd do some dives from the 3m. I managed to do a flip, but must have hit the water wrong...when I came up the lifeguard was in panic mode since my nose was bleeding. It didn't last, but that was the last time I've tried a flip on a board (that was in 1992).
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    Just be careful with diving. When I was still in the army, I remember how tempting the diving boards looked after swimming one day, and thought I'd do some dives from the 3m. I managed to do a flip, but must have hit the water wrong...when I came up the lifeguard was in panic mode since my nose was bleeding. It didn't last, but that was the last time I've tried a flip on a board (that was in 1992).
    There were a few impressive belly- and back-flops off the 3m board that drew collective "oooooww"s from the spectators, but happily no blood. The idea of having a coach to help you figure out how to do things correctly is one of the attractions of the diving team. And I think it might take me a while to want to go off the 3m, much less flip off it. But then, I guess you decided once every few decades was enough of that!