View RSS Feed

Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine

2012 Harvard New England scy Champs 3/16-18

Rate this Entry
Just pulled into station from our trip to Boston for the weekend. Another excellent meet with fast swimming and plenty of time for socialization with the other 887 swimmers from New England and abroad. I spent most of my days hanging out with my adopted team, Cape Cod Masters, but was able to check in with fellow bloggers [ame="http://forums.usms.org/member.php?u=4899"]U.S. Masters Swimming Discussion Forums[/ame] and [ame="http://forums.usms.org/member.php?u=5129"]U.S. Masters Swimming Discussion Forums[/ame]. I also met some new folks, including the Kosiorek brothers, who I went to UMass (Amherst) swim camp with way back in the day, and Justin B, who is battling the GTD with me (at least we always seem to be neck and neck). I was able to better all of my Masters best times, so it was a very successful meet for me.

Friday, March 16

#10 Men 50 Freestyle Time: :24.37
WENT: 24.22 r:+0.92
This swim felt good. I was a tad slow off the blocks and didn't start attacking it quickly enough - need to work on breathing less and just powering it.

#12 Men 200 Backstroke Time: 02:11.88
WENT: 2:09.15
31.27 1:04.28 (33.01)
1:37.15 (32.87) 2:09.15 (32.00)
I split this really well and was happy to swim it during the first day of competition this year. Two second time drop, still need keep at those SDK's off the walls - went 7,5,5,4,3,2,1 and streamlining, which fell apart in the last 75. Still, first place finish for my age group.

#14 Men 100 Individual Medley Entry Time: 01:03.18
WENT: 1:02.88 r:+0.83
28.24 1:02.88 (34.64)
Dropping time, which is the goal. Felt really good, not too much to comment on here.

** Early night - at the hotel by 4:30ish. Took a nap, had supper, and then went to the planetarium (Boston Museum of Science) with my daughter to watch a flick about the universe - amazing stuff.

Saturday, March 17

#24 Men 50 Butterfly Entry Time: :26.84
WENT: 26.48 r:+0.75
Played with more SKD's - helped a little. Good swim.

#26 Men 200 Breaststroke Entry Time: 02:55.14
WENT: 2:52.84 r:+0.84
38.89 1:24.37 (45.48)
2:08.62 (44.25) 2:52.84 (44.22)
Wow, I actually gave a some fruit to the 200 breast? Yuppers - my goal for a FIRST EVER EVER 200 breast was to break 3 minutes. I focused on LONG underwaters (just about made the 15m mark the first four), swim an easy 125 then rock it home. Was a good swim (I've been working pull and kick from my Cape buddy Jim), and Rich suggested tossing the kick at the end of my pull after he swam. You'll recall my slow pace put him into a trance and the announcer had to call "SwimStud, wake up and get on the block." It was as if St. Nick was dashing down the stairs at Harvard, as I saw him spring onto the lane 3 platform then rocket off to a PB. Dude is awesome.

#32 Men 200 Freestyle Entry Time: 01:57.19
WENT: 1:56.62 r:+0.77
27.55 57.50 (29.95)
1:27.68 (30.18) 1:56.62 (28.94)
Felt really strong, and I used a forceful two beat kick for the first 50, then gradually added legs after each turn. I waited until the 75 flip to really pick it up, and I will start a little sooner next time and attack the 3rd 50 more.

#34 Men 100 Backstroke Entry Time: :59.45
WENT: 58.78
29.18 58.78 (29.60)
Finally under the 59 mark, and based on the swim I need to take this out faster - I think I can hold on the back end. Dan from Pittsfield noted that I was not driving my shoulders enough, so I will work on that.

** This was not only my long day, but the meet's, as we got out around 6:30pm. That was a lot of swimming - I just ate supper and went to bed.

Sunday, March 18

#42 Men 200 Individual Medley Entry Time: 02:22.47
WENT: 2:14.31 r:+0.80
28.14 1:00.99 (32.85)
1:44.72 (43.73) 2:14.31 (29.59)
Wow! I went 2:22 in January, so this was a SIX second drop for me - still hard to fathom it. I stayed strong on the fly, worked the shoulder rotation (with less kick) on the back, then busted a long while shifting my kick for the breast before bring the free home. Jim noted that I did not lose time on the Breast, which I have always done before. It felt awesome, so it is getting the Chiquita®.

#44 Men 50 Backstroke Entry Time: :27.76
WENT: 27.60
Happy with this swim. The only thing I will note, without a hint of whining, is that in lane one the flags do not fully extend over the lane - they are clipped to a plastic line. I was really far from the finish when I pulled out the "Leake Lunge," and could have short stroked it for a quicker time. Still, I was happy to get a little faster.

#52 Men 100 Freestyle Entry Time: :52.60
WENT: 52.14 r:+0.79
25.23 52.14 (26.91)
This was a good swim, and I was right next to Dave F. from the Cape on this one. I swam it 25 strong, 50 sprint, 25 last swim of the meet ... probably could have gone out with more intensity on the first 25 and gotten under 52. That will have to wait until next year.

*** Beautiful day in Boston, 70 degrees, St. Patty's Day parade (which the family took in). I feel really blessed to be able to swim in this neck of the world, and to have this great facility and meet to dive into. For the 3 hour ride home I always take Rt 2 back to Vermont, driving through Concord like Paul Revere, past Leominster (birthplace of Johnny Appleseed) and Gardner, the furniture capital of New England before you get to the the toilet paper factory in Irving. Lot's of history here. A great meet, and our prayers for save travel and competition were answered. Now, I am going to complete my warmdown for the day with a dip in the hot tub, then .

Submit "2012 Harvard New England scy Champs 3/16-18" to Digg Submit "2012 Harvard New England scy Champs 3/16-18" to del.icio.us Submit "2012 Harvard New England scy Champs 3/16-18" to StumbleUpon Submit "2012 Harvard New England scy Champs 3/16-18" to Google

Updated March 18th, 2012 at 10:01 PM by rxleakem

Categories
Masters Swim Meets / Events

Comments

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Nice job rxleakem! Congrats! Nice 200 breast time!, I'll be shooting for a similar goal if I ever get my form back.
    Nice going!! I only wish I could attend a meet that I could swim that many events too!! (at least in masters) USAS I can do it all the time.
    Yeah, great job... sounds like a really fun weekend! It's always fun to exceed one's own expectations.
    I'd say that was an AWESOME weekend. You swam a lot and swam fast over 3 days. Nice going.

This meet is definitely on my bucket list of meets to go to. Some year I'll get there.
    I was able to better all of my Masters best times, so it was a very successful meet for me.
    That is the understatement of the week .

Congratulations on a terrific meet!
    Great job at the meet! Even 1 PB is fantastic, getting so many more is really super!!!

And glad your family was able to enjoy Boston too!

Sounds like this meet was even better than the BU SCM meet.
    These are some terrific swims. Nice job!!
    those are some nice times.
    PBs in everything - awesome. Congratulations!
    Quote Originally Posted by eric.carlson
    That is the understatement of the week .

Indeed! I had a feeling you'd pop off all PBs. You must be completely psyched! Bravo!
    Wow--you just keep cranking out those PRs, and by impressive margins. Congrats!
    Quote Originally Posted by jswim
    Nice job rxleakem! Congrats! Nice 200 breast time!, I'll be shooting for a similar goal if I ever get my form back.
    Thanks, J! I was surprised to give that event a banana since I have always dreaded it, but it felt ok. Not sure when I'll try it again, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1
    Nice going!! I only wish I could attend a meet that I could swim that many events too!! (at least in masters) USAS I can do it all the time.
    Thanks James. I kept that gridge in the 50 free wide open for you and qbrain.
    Quote Originally Posted by mcnair
    Yeah, great job... sounds like a really fun weekend! It's always fun to exceed one's own expectations.
    It was a great weekend, never been to the planetarium and was happy to sneak in that visit. The family checked out the parade and all came back sun-burnt! haha Now to get some milage underway for that 10 miler in July.
    Quote Originally Posted by eric.carlson
    Muchas gracias, Eric. I was excited that you did so well at your first meet, too!
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    Sounds like this meet was even better than the BU SCM meet.
    I have always loved the Harvard pool, and the large crowd adds to the excitement and the fun. I think I mentioned that it is a little further from the T (about a 10 minute walk from Harvard Square on the Red line), but totally doable for a weekend meet.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    I'd say that was an AWESOME weekend. You swam a lot and swam fast over 3 days. Nice going.

This meet is definitely on my bucket list of meets to go to. Some year I'll get there.
    Thanks, Patrick. I think that more focus on mid-d work really helped my times to keep improving. I sure was tired by the time the 100 free rolled around on Sunday! haha

You would have a blast - keep it in mind. The only down side for you would be that the D day is the weekend before, so you would only have the 500 free and 400 IM to conquer.
    Quote Originally Posted by knelson
    These are some terrific swims. Nice job!!
    Thanks, Kirk. Sorry to rub in the nice weather we are having out our way. I am sure that snow will turn to rain soon for the PNW.
    Quote Originally Posted by tjrpatt
    those are some nice times.
    Thanks, Tom. I am still nursing that bum foot from the flippers in Philly - I had to drench the worst one with liquid bandage stuff before hitting the pool.
    I do think that the team practice with you guys really did the trick for preparing me for this meet.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Indeed! I had a feeling you'd pop off all PBs. You must be completely psyched! Bravo!
    Thanks! I am really happy with the swims, and also have some more things to work on. I am getting more comfortable with the breaststroke, so I hope to keep seeing improvement with the IM events.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast