View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Thursday, March 15

Rate this Entry
ART, 30 min:

Doc says the shoulder area is not as inflamed. I guess some rest and body work agreed with it.

Swim/SCY/Solo:

600 various

5 x 50 caterpillar fly @ :15 RI

8 x 25 shooter w/fins @ :40
50 EZ

6 x 25 free no breath @ :40
50 EZ

4 x burst + cruise @ 1:00
-- dolphin kick
50 EZ

4 x burst + cruise @ 1:00
-- speed drills
50 EZ

3 x (25 build free + back turn + free breakout + east + 50 EZ)
-- finally had a decent breakout on #3, but I generally seem to suck at these. it seems to work better if I wait until I'm virtually at the surface before flipping on my belly
-- not sure if I'm ready to do attempt this in prime time ...

100 EZ

Total: 2200

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I took yesterday off from the pool. But diligently did my rehab exercises and stretched. Does anyone know whether there is an ideal # x per week you're supposed to rehab stuff?

Felt pretty good in the water today after my second "drop taper" in 3 weeks. I'll just do an easy 1000 and a few bursts tomorrow, and be ready to go! 50 fly split request/100 back/50 free/200 mixed medley relay (fly leg). I wish that I had more than 3+ weeks to cram for Nats, but c'est la vie. I'm sure I'll be fine. I plan to start tapering on April 10, 3 days before Zones and 2+ weeks before Nats. Zones will be my last hard sprint "workout." I will keep my yardage about the same the following week, but reduce the HIT yards and increase the IG yards.

The kids in my swim team carpool reprogramed Siri to call me "master." I am enjoying this.

All the fast PV are folks are at the SCM meet this weekend, except Speedo and Jazzy. Here's the psych sheet and swim phone links:
http://www.pvmasters.org/albatross/psych12.htm
http://www.swimphone.com/mobile/meet....cfm?smid=3617

Submit "Thursday, March 15" to Digg Submit "Thursday, March 15" to del.icio.us Submit "Thursday, March 15" to StumbleUpon Submit "Thursday, March 15" to Google

Updated March 15th, 2012 at 04:49 PM by The Fortress

Categories
Swim Workouts , ART

Comments

It's got to feel strange with the back SDKs to free breakout. If you're having to wait until the last minute to flip over, maybe you can incorporate that rotation into a first monster pull somehow.
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedo
    It's got to feel strange with the back SDKs to free breakout. If you're having to wait until the last minute to flip over, maybe you can incorporate that rotation into a first monster pull somehow.
    Yep, it does, and, yep, I've been trying that. It's not fast staying deeper and kicking around on my side pre breakout. I can foresee a really major F up in a meet without a LOT more practice. If I have a fast 50 fly and 100 back, I may just swim the 50 free as per usual. Though my usual free breakouts never seem very stellar either.
    I notice that Frederick Hviid is entered in the meet. He swam at AU a few years before I arrived. Fred was a hell of a swimmer. He would out train everyone around him.

In 1997, he was the European long course champion in the 400 IM with a 4:16. Beautiful fly and breastroke.
    Quote Originally Posted by thewookiee
    I notice that Frederick Hviid is entered in the meet. He swam at AU a few years before I arrived. Fred was a hell of a swimmer. He would out train everyone around him.

In 1997, he was the European long course champion in the 400 IM with a 4:16. Beautiful fly and breastroke.
    Thanks for posting that. I'll look out for him at the meet.
    25 build free + back turn + free breakout
    Oo, that might be a really good idea if it can be done smoothly. Why do underwater kicks seem fastest when you're facing the ceiling?
    Quote Originally Posted by sickfish
    Oo, that might be a really good idea if it can be done smoothly. Why do underwater kicks seem fastest when you're facing the ceiling?
    Mike Ross used this technique to set records in the 50 and 100 free a few years ago. He's an amazing underwater dolphin kicker.

Most masters, including me, are faster SDK-ing on back than belly. For me, I think it's because the lower back & glutes are recruited more.