View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Albatross SCM Meet Report, March 18

Rate this Entry
Got a decent night's sleep and headed over to the pool around 1:00 pm. My houseguest, Jimby, showed no signs whatsoever of his previously reported malaise. And was fortified by my diva smoothie and eggs. Did about a 30 minute warm up and then hopped out early to don my new suit since I was in the first event.

50 fly SCM, PR/NR/WR, 29.54

Did this as a split request in the 100 fly so that I could swim it at the beginning rather than end of the meet. Very psyched and surprised by the time. My previous best was a 29.6 in a B70 back in 2009. Based on my 26.7 at Warrenton, I was secretly hoping that maybe, just maybe, I'd see a 29.99 if all went well. So I was thrilled to see this time. Particularly so, since (unlike Warrenton) my race execution was not great. I got off the blocks fast. But my breakouts were subpar: I lifted my head too much and decelerated slightly. I probably should have done one less kick. My walls were not ideal either. I glided a bit into the turn and had a major glide at the finish. I think this is just the difference between yards and meters. When I saw I was short of the wall, I did kick like crazy. Jimby videoed the race, so I'll upload it at some point. I was very fortunate, being in lane 1, that no one was swimming in the adjacent diving well. Only took one breath after the breakout on the second 25. This swim chopped .8 off my 30.35 WR set last December.

100 SCM back, 1:08.85, PR/NR

The starter held us a LONG time, the longest I've ever been held in a backstroke event. Everything went well in the race until the last 10 meters. I died the last bit (legs paralyzed) and had a HUGE glide into the finish. Definitely should have taken another stroke. This cost me a few tenths for sure. Splits were 32.5/36.2. So I got out after it. My underwaters were solid. I think I went 15/15/15/10 SDKs. I was right on the 15 meter mark at the start. A teammate in the stands said it was legal, but I was very close. This may mean that when I'm doing SDKs at 100 pace, I've got to stick with 14 at the start. Though I was slightly off the WR KPN set last week in France for her French team, I was still really pleased. I never thought I'd go a 1:08 and it is a new NR, beating my previous one from this meet last year. I remember the very first time I swam this event back in 2007 at this meet (next to Julie Roddin), I went a 1:15 with very few SDKs.

50 free, NS

Didn't get to swim this unfortunately. After my 100 back, which I swam around 5:30, I felt really sick for about 90 minutes. Nauseous and shaky and red faced. Couldn't warm down. First time that has ever happened to me at a meet. I think it was likely due to poor nutrition. I hadn't had anything to eat since noon except a few honey stinger chews after warm up. I probably needed more carbs in my system before ingesting coffee. Was likely too busy chatting and forgot. Need to keep better tabs on this in the future. I was sorry to bonk and miss this event since I was swimming well and had plenty of rest for it. But crap happens. It really did not in any way diminish my happiness with the other two swims.

200+ year 200 SCM mixed medley relay:

After another hour+ went by, I warmed down a bit and felt well enough to swim my team relay. Wolfy was watching and said I split a 29.5. I was surprised since I was tired (8:00 pm), paced the first 25 slightly, and took 3 breaths instead of one. I had better breakouts and walls though. I'll have to double check this split later when results are up. This is a good relay for our team. Last year in the 160-199 age group we were #2 in the nation. This year, with Speedo gone, our team captain anchored.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Really happy with the times!!! Last year, I swam like crazy at this meet, but had a full 3 week taper. I did the same drop taper for this meet that I did before Warrenton. But since I only lifted once during this 3 week period, my body was pretty rested.

And even though Nats is just around the corner, I glad I took this approach. I feel like I've knocked my 50 back and 50 fly in yards and meters way down, and they'll be untouchable for a little while at least!

Now for a recovery swim if I can ever get Jimby out of bed. He finally arose at 11:30 bragging that he out slept my teenager. I slept very little last night, so it may take me a few days to catch up on sleep.

Thanks to Patrick for writing this:
http://theswimmerscircle.com/2012/03...other-barrier/

Submit "Albatross SCM Meet Report, March 18" to Digg Submit "Albatross SCM Meet Report, March 18" to del.icio.us Submit "Albatross SCM Meet Report, March 18" to StumbleUpon Submit "Albatross SCM Meet Report, March 18" to Google

Updated March 19th, 2012 at 12:03 PM by The Fortress

Categories
Masters Swim Meets / Events

Comments

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Great job Fort! Re: nutrition, on meet days I eat a huge breakfast and then munch on PBJ and Clif bars between events. Bonking not allowed! I also have plenty of caffeine throughout the day.
    AWESOME! (I sprint vicariously through you... its easier that way)
    Yeah, it was probably the caffeine and not enough food.

Sweet 50 fly, sorry I missed it.
    Quote Originally Posted by That Guy
    Great job Fort! Re: nutrition, on meet days I eat a huge breakfast and then munch on PBJ and Clif bars between events. Bonking not allowed! I also have plenty of caffeine throughout the day.
    Thanks TG! Yeah, PBJ would have been just the ticket. It was pretty dumb in retrospect.
    What is that, 4 WR and one NR in a season? You almost have me convinced that this HIT method works

I think it was likely due to poor nutrition.
    I agree. Just coming of an adrenaline high on an empty stomach will make you feel quite sick. Adding coffee and a race sounds miserable.

Pretty awesome run. Less bus driving duties allowed for better pool workouts and elbow problems almost eliminated your gym time. Can you think of any other big factors this season? I don't think your approach or diet was significantly different, but it did seem like recently there were almost "had to cut X short because of Y" posts.

Congrats again. Does this make Nationals more fun?
    Very nice work! I bet it was too much caffeine that made you feel ill. I have made that mistake a few times, and it really does give me a terrible combination of nausea, anxiety, and high HR/BP.
    Quote Originally Posted by That Guy
    RE: My Nutrition on meet days.

Stop at McDonalds either when leaving town, or at a nearby town. 3-4 sausage/egg burritos with hot sauce, 2 hash browns, and water. I actually hydrate correctly on meet days. I usually don't eat much during the meets, but on occasion I'll eat something. I just hate swimming with food in my stomach. I will drink 3 to 4 of the 32 oz. Gatorades throughout the meet though. And afterwards, it's all soda!

Leslie, more big congratulations for you again on a stellar performance!! It's amazing how you can keep beating WRs and NRs meet after meet, even if its getting new best times to do it. Great job!
    Wow--what great swims! Those are scary fast times. Looking forward to seeing what nationals holds in store!
    Great swims, Leslie!
    Quote Originally Posted by chaos
    AWESOME! (I sprint vicariously through you... its easier that way)
    Thanks Dave! And I swim OW vicariously through you ... its is way way easier that way.
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    What is that, 4 WR and one NR in a season? You almost have me convinced that this HIT method works

I agree. Just coming of an adrenaline high on an empty stomach will make you feel quite sick. Adding coffee and a race sounds miserable.

Pretty awesome run. Less bus driving duties allowed for better pool workouts and elbow problems almost eliminated your gym time. Can you think of any other big factors this season? I don't think your approach or diet was significantly different, but it did seem like recently there were almost "had to cut X short because of Y" posts.

Congrats again. Does this make Nationals more fun?
    Yeah, I essentially skipped lunch. Since I had 2.5 hours between fly and back, I should have eaten something substantial right after my fly race. Don't know what I was thinking really ...

The last year has been pretty great.

Factors different:

1. Thyroid fixed (again) since issues last summer-fall.
    2. Longer sprint workouts, frequently 90 minutes. More AFAP yards overall, and more bursts.
    3. Going faster in practice because not as dead from the gym.
    4. I've still been going 2x a week. But perhaps heavy upper body lifting isn't that important for my races and being a leg dominant swimmer. Jazz will disagree with this, especially wrt freestyle. I'm not sure I'll ever go back to the gym more than this. I like my current Wed & Sun schedule.
    5. Haven't done bikram in about 6+ weeks.

Definite pressure off for Nationals. I'm not sure I can go any faster in 50 fly and 50 back, and glad to have those fast times in the bank before day 3 at Greensboro. The 100 back from yesterday gives me confidence for the 100 at Nats, and the fact that it is 10 meters less is divine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazz Hands
    Yeah, it was probably the caffeine and not enough food.

Sweet 50 fly, sorry I missed it.
    It was sweet! I was bummed to miss the 50 free since I was on a roll, but I can't complain.

Yeah, basically skipped lunch. Stoopid.
    Quote Originally Posted by ourswimmer
    Very nice work! I bet it was too much caffeine that made you feel ill. I have made that mistake a few times, and it really does give me a terrible combination of nausea, anxiety, and high HR/BP.
    Thanks. Yes, it was quite miserable. Really don't ever want a repeat of that.
    Quote Originally Posted by swimsuit addict
    Wow--what great swims! Those are scary fast times. Looking forward to seeing what nationals holds in store!
    Thanks!

Not sure what I got left for Nationals after resting quite a bit in March. But a fast pool never hurt anyone.

I do like our more low key local meets with no travel though.
    Quote Originally Posted by scyfreestyler
    Great swims, Leslie!
    Thanks Matt!
    Solid swims, especially that 1back!
    Great swims Leslie!!!

Other than an occasional smoothie or frilly drink from SBUX, I really don't drink coffee, so I can't really can't comment on how that would work. My recent meets have been more of the, "swim as many events in 3 hours," type, and I eat little if anything during it.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1
    RE: My Nutrition on meet days.

Stop at McDonalds either when leaving town, or at a nearby town. 3-4 sausage/egg burritos with hot sauce, 2 hash browns, and water. I actually hydrate correctly on meet days. I usually don't eat much during the meets, but on occasion I'll eat something. I just hate swimming with food in my stomach. I will drink 3 to 4 of the 32 oz. Gatorades throughout the meet though. And afterwards, it's all soda!

Leslie, more big congratulations for you again on a stellar performance!! It's amazing how you can keep beating WRs and NRs meet after meet, even if its getting new best times to do it. Great job!
    Thanks James. I did have 2 gatorades and a banana when I felt better. I'm wondering if fully loaded Gatorades might be better for me at meets than Smart Water.

Ew McDonalds. However, that particular meal doesn't sound terrible pre-meet.

I may be all done now. I'm not sure I can go any faster. Though I didn't execute perfectly on fly.
    Quote Originally Posted by rxleakem
    Solid swims, especially that 1back!
    Thanks Mike! I hope all went well at Harvard for you!
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    Great swims Leslie!!!

Other than an occasional smoothie or frilly drink from SBUX, I really don't drink coffee, so I can't really can't comment on how that would work. My recent meets have been more of the, "swim as many events in 3 hours," type, and I eat little if anything during it.
    I only drink coffee in the am. Very clear that I shouldn't drink it on an empty stomach at meets. Or maybe I should go back to Jolt Gum like Jimby.

I'm amazed that you mid-D types never get tired swimming so many events.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast