View RSS Feed

Pete's swim blog

03.26.12 - Monday workout

Rate this Entry
by , March 26th, 2012 at 09:54 AM (1065 Views)
Swam w/ Roger and Dave x 2. Pool temp down to 84! Someone must have turned the boiler off over the weekend. It is back on full blast and should be back to 86 in no time.

SCY

400 Warm up

400 IM Kick
100 Easy
400 IM - 6:00 (5:35)
100 Easy

6 x 50 - :45
8 Times through:
* 100 - 1:10 (held 1:05s)
* 50 Kick - 1:10
* 2 x 50 Pull - :50
100 Easy

400 IM Kick (7:10)
100 Easy
500 Free - 6:00 (5:50)
Roger and I started opposite ends and raced to the black line in the middle of the pool. I let him get way too far ahead. Made a small dent in his lead in the last 200 but it wasn't enough.

100 Cool down

(4800 total)

Submit "03.26.12 - Monday workout" to Digg Submit "03.26.12 - Monday workout" to del.icio.us Submit "03.26.12 - Monday workout" to StumbleUpon Submit "03.26.12 - Monday workout" to Google

Tags: 500, free, timed
Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

I let him get way too far ahead.
    I should note that Roger isn't the type of swimmer you "let" get away. He is going to swim an optimal race just about every time. If I hit my flip turns right and split my 100s correctly, I have half a chance. Today, I just didn't have it.
    From opposite ends of the pool is probably my favorite way to race people in practice. Side-by-side just seems too intense sometimes--plus I like the anticipating of seeing how I'm doing only once every 25.
    400 IM Kick (7:10)
    Very nice!
    Sounds fun. At first I thought I read "Made a small dent in his head" (LOL!) - have you ever seen swim meets where they do "chase starts"? Just as heat 1 is at the 25m mark, the kids at the opposite end of the pool are started (and of course, they are the faster heat) - the ones finishing have to really hurry not just to win their race, but to make sure the kids behind them don't catch them! It's sure nerve racking on the parents though it looks fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestial
    At first I thought I read "Made a small dent in his head" (LOL!)
    When Roger suggested this, I thought he was wanting to start from opposite ends so that the black line was my queue to pull my arms in and NOT hit him in the head . Turns out he just wanted to race a little different. It was a good experience and made me think a little different.

I haven't seen a pursuit race (in swimming) before but Friday, I might be part of an "old people vs. age group swim team" pursuit type race. Details on that to come later.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl_S
    Very nice!
    Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by swimsuit addict
    From opposite ends of the pool is probably my favorite way to race people in practice. Side-by-side just seems too intense sometimes--plus I like the anticipating of seeing how I'm doing only once every 25.
    I think the really big advantage is that you can race AND share a lane comfortably.
    That is a nice way to race -- we used to do it on one of my old teams but I had forgotten about it. And I can see why you lose so much weight during your swims if 84F is a "cool" day.