View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Wed., March 28

Rate this Entry
ART, 30 mon:

Chiro worked on my shoulders and upper back.

Drylands, 75 min:

rehab exercises (20 min)
explosive leg press, 250 x 4 x 12
seated narrow grip row, 80 x 3 x 12
good mornings, 65 x 1 x 8, 75 x 1 x 8, 80 x 1 x 8, 85 x 1 x 8
resisted side lunges on cable machine, 55 x 1 x 15 each side
resisted track start jumps left foot forward, 40 x 1 x 10
calf raises, 180 x 3 x 8
extreme angle goblet squats w/DBs with feet on raised steps, 40 x 4 x 10
knee tuck jumps, 8
altitude drops from highest box + squat jump, 2 x 6
med ball slams, 10
twisting med ball slams, 10

Stretching, 20-25 min

-- lower back/legs/hips

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Slept better last. Mr. Fort and I were discussing last night that we require more sleep than we used to, even just a few years ago. I used to get by on so much less.

I am still on the fence about Omaha. I feel like my body needs some rest from HIT training. But I suppose all may be well if I do a couple weeks of IG after Nats. I believe my summer vacation falls on what may be the weekend of Zones. So if I don't go to Omaha, I'll probably miss long course season. I wouldn't mind re-doing my 50 back and 50 fly from last summer when I wasn't feeling great. Fixing the thyroid issues that occurred last summer & fall (again) could be part of the reason I'm swimming faster now.

Submit "Wed., March 28" to Digg Submit "Wed., March 28" to del.icio.us Submit "Wed., March 28" to StumbleUpon Submit "Wed., March 28" to Google

Updated March 28th, 2012 at 10:43 PM by The Fortress

Categories
Strength Training and Dryland Workouts , ART

Comments

I hope you do go to Omaha. It would be good to see you again. I'm definitely going since I'm not going to Greensboro. And Jared is also going with me so it should be a lot of fun.
    I am still on the fence about Omaha.
    Go Fort Go! It's going to be awesome. I sent scoutcat to Omaha early and here is his exclusive report:

Quote Originally Posted by poolraat
    I hope you do go to Omaha. It would be good to see you again. I'm definitely going since I'm not going to Greensboro. And Jared is also going with me so it should be a lot of fun.
    The only thing giving me pause is the current shoulder/scapular issue. But I suspect I'll probably go for Sat and Sun. and fly in late Friday afternoon.
    Quote Originally Posted by That Guy
    Go Fort Go! It's going to be awesome. I sent scoutcat to Omaha early and here is his exclusive report:
    lol

But will there be PBJ sandwiches in the GMS?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    The only thing giving me pause is the current shoulder/scapular issue. But I suspect I'll probably go for Sat and Sun. and fly in late Friday afternoon.
    We are flying in late Thursday afternoon and leaving Monday morning. We're each swimming 6 events. It's worked out that we each will have 2 races each day. It will be interesting to see how Jared does since it will be at the beginning of his taper for Sectionals.
    I doubt your body will need a summer off from HIT, but mentally you might.

No opinion on Omaha. I would like to go just to have swam in that pool, but I have also spent my travel dollars for the year... already.

I think there are a lot of factors that worked in your favor this year. Thyroid meds were fixed, Teen Fort became self mobile and your workout time/frequency became more consistent.

I have witnessed the effects of thyroids meds first hand. Jimby is yet again tackling a subject he knows nothing about with an unfounded opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    I doubt your body will need a summer off from HIT, but mentally you might.

No opinion on Omaha. I would like to go just to have swam in that pool, but I have also spent my travel dollars for the year... already.

I think there are a lot of factors that worked in your favor this year. Thyroid meds were fixed, Teen Fort became self mobile and your workout time/frequency became more consistent.

I have witnessed the effects of thyroids meds first hand. Jimby is yet again tackling a subject he knows nothing about with an unfounded opinion.
    I can get through July without a mental break as long as I have the rest of July and August to be an exercise and swimming free spirit. More worried about the body -- I've had ankle, elbow, and shoulder/scapular issues since November. I realize at my age I'm never going to escape nagging problems with my training completely, but I'd like a respite.

It seems like I have vastly more time with Teen Fort being mobile. It almost makes up for her being such a huge pain this year.

I'm not sure why Jim refused to believe I had a thyroid problem. He just kept asserting that I couldn't have competed at my level if I had one. So not true. I will now recognize the symptoms of it better swimming wise if it recurs -- can't do lactate sets, can't recover, want to scratch events, etc. (I think I spent years complaining about recovery.) I honestly feel the best I have in years right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by poolraat
    We are flying in late Thursday afternoon and leaving Monday morning. We're each swimming 6 events. It's worked out that we each will have 2 races each day. It will be interesting to see how Jared does since it will be at the beginning of his taper for Sectionals.
    You will have a blast with Jared.

I looked at the schedule and realized it made little sense to go for three days. I don't like long course very much! lol But I would like to swim in the Trials pool.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    lol

But will there be PBJ sandwiches in the GMS?
    dunno, didn't sign up for that. I think it was $175.
    Did you have a thyroid test, resulting in a diagnosis of hypothyroidism? I would think that should settle the dispute with Jimby.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazz Hands
    Did you have a thyroid test, resulting in a diagnosis of hypothyroidism? I would think that should settle the dispute with Jimby.
    Definitely! Though it took me forever to figure out what the problem was. I've since had blood tests every 3 months for 2 years or so trying to get the thyroid replacement hormone dose right. My T3 and T4 readings have almost always been below normal. After gradually increasing meds for awhile, they were normal the first half of 2011 (swam well) and then plummeted again in the summer/fall (swam worse). Some thyroids can be hard to regulate.

Doctors also diagnose hypothyroidism based on symptoms though since the range for "normal" is so wide. You could theoretically be on the low end of the normal range but be very hypo because you own "normal" is much higher.