View RSS Feed

Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!

Saturday, March 31, 2012 NW Zone Day 1 Results

Rate this Entry
Approximately a 4 hour drive turned into a hair over 3 1/2, so the day started off well! ...and no speeding ticket either (which my little ol' truck couldn't hardly make it past 70 anyway even downhill with the wind!)

80 people signed up for the meet, which is the 2nd highest attendance we've had at an Inland NW meet, so that was cool to see.

We had to wait through 2 heats of 1650s prior to the 400 IM (1 was 44 minutes, the other 31 minutes), then a 12 minute first heat of the 400 IM as well. I was out of warmups for almost 2 hours prior to my swim. As far as re-warming up in the separate tank...NO WAY! That pool is damn near 88-89 degrees! Seriously! They say it is for therapy for the seniors that use the facility. But why not turn off the heater for this weekend??

400 IM - 4:34.5 - about 1 second slower than my best from last month.
This was my 2nd fastest 400 IM as a master though, so that is a plus!
My fly was ok, but I couldn't get rolling like normal. Backstroke felt great! Probably from the shave. Breaststroke, I started feeling the burn in my arms, and I just had nothing left for the freestyle.
I'm not sure of any of my splits, but I'm pretty sure I was on track to come close to the 4:29 record...till the freestyle. I tightened up so badly and just gave it my best effort. I didn't look at the clock throughout the race, and after painfully finishing and seeing that I missed the record I was trying for, it hurt even more.

I've got a re-do opportunity for this at PNA Champs in 2 weeks.

200 Fly - 2:06.30 - dropped 0.07 seconds!! Good enough for a new LMSC record!
This felt ok, but I know I can go faster. I think someone said I was out in a 58-high, then 1:33 at the 150. I'm gonna guess on splits: 27mid, 31, 34.5, 33. That's about how it felt too. The middle 100 definitely felt like BLAH, and I gave it everything I had on the final 50. At least I had a time drop. And I have one more shot at this event in the USAS meet 3 weeks from now in Spokane!

400 Free Relay, 3:37.11 was the anchor leg, split a 52-low or so. Decent enough for me. We combined different guys together from 3 ouf our workout groups (that are all in the same USMS club) to destroy the old NW Zone 18+ 400 Free relay record. Wait...just checked the PNA website for the NW Zone records...apparently a faster relay was done in late February that wasn't in my list. OOPS. Oh well, so at least we annihilated our Inland NW record, but missed the current Zone record.

===============================

Tomorrow:

500 Free, 100 Fly, 200 Free, 200 IM.
The 100 Fly and 200 Free events will have some stiff competition. The 500 Free and 200 IM I will be doing time trial type swims. I have an outside shot at the LMSC record in the 500, so I just need to get my butt moving. 5:06.75! YIKES!

Also going to combine with other workout groups for the 200 Mixed Medley and 400 Mixed Medley Relays, to attack the NW Zone records. These are possible!

Submit "Saturday, March 31, 2012 NW Zone Day 1 Results" to Digg Submit "Saturday, March 31, 2012 NW Zone Day 1 Results" to del.icio.us Submit "Saturday, March 31, 2012 NW Zone Day 1 Results" to StumbleUpon Submit "Saturday, March 31, 2012 NW Zone Day 1 Results" to Google

Comments

I get mixed emotions about starting a meet with a 400 IM; very often, I find it works out great, but, sometimes, it ends up being a bit too painful on the back half. You'll get that record at Federal Way.
    I thought that you would go faster. Well, it is pretty good since you had a hectic schedule and you do actual physical labor. You should be able to go faster in the Federal Way pool. Nice going on the relay. It might be good enough for top ten. Hopefully, you got those guys in a 4 x 200 relay.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    I get mixed emotions about starting a meet with a 400 IM; very often, I find it works out great, but, sometimes, it ends up being a bit too painful on the back half. You'll get that record at Federal Way.
    The past few years, at this particular meet, the 400 IM was also first prior to the 1650 swims. Much much better that way, but those things are out of my control.
    I do enjoy getting my longest or hardest event done at the beginning of a session. I just can't seem to perform the same if it was the last event of the day.

Oh yeah, and found out that we're competing at almost 2600ft of elevation here too! I wondered about that. It will be much nicer in Federal Way.
    Quote Originally Posted by tjrpatt
    I thought that you would go faster. Well, it is pretty good since you had a hectic schedule and you do actual physical labor. You should be able to go faster in the Federal Way pool. Nice going on the relay. It might be good enough for top ten. Hopefully, you got those guys in a 4 x 200 relay.
    Me too. Oh well! It is tough to control what I have to do at work sometimes. That can really get in the way of my training goals at times, but what can a guy do? If only I had won the Mega Millions, right?

The guys didn't want to do a combined effort in the 800 Free Relay. They wanted to use just the guys from the one workout group so they could put "their" name on it. That's fine. The order of relays was 200 Free, 400 Free, then 800 Free. Back to back to back.

We'll go get the mixed medley relay records today, or at least make attempts for the NW Zone records. We've got two hot shot females, another hot shot male, and this hot shot male with lofty goals for the team!
    1:49.10 for the 200 Medley
    4:31.94 for the 400 Medley
    They are back to back relays as well, but shouldn't be an issue. We have to go all out to get the 200 record, which will be tough, but the 400 should be
    Good jerb!
    Quote Originally Posted by That Guy
    Good jerb!
    Thanks!! Day 1 was definitely better than Day 2, at least I thought so.