View RSS Feed

Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!

Sunday, April 1, 2012 NW Zone Day 2 results

Rate this Entry
This morning was a rough morning. I slept well, in fact, very well. I've always had a rough 2nd day at this particular meet, and now I know why. The elevation difference and the body somewhat trying to acclimate to it.
I learned this last year when I went to Salt Lake City for a 2 day meet. Well...short story version: I was talking with the college coaches for the cross country teams at the airport about competition at altitude, and they said through their research that individuals from lower altitudes that go to higher altitudes have a much better chance of doing well, IF they can make the commute and compete on the same day. The longer your body stays there, the harder it gets...for a while. They said it takes almost 2 weeks for your body to become 90% or more accustomed to the thinner air. So...if possible, try to schedule your trips to compete the same day as travel, or just forget the 2nd day!
Make sense?

=========================

Last night at the Inland NW annual meeting, the Wenatchee Valley Masters cleaned house on the awards that were given out. We had:
  • High Point Female (season total) - Carolyn Magee
  • High Point Male (was a race between myself and another older teammate). The other guy ended up getting the award. - Jack Bevier
  • Most Dedicated Award - James Adams - for taking on the Top Ten and Records and improving on it. My "work" in the forums of promoting swimming and talking about us "little guys" in the Inland NW, in addition to my extensive travel looking for other places to compete outside of the LMSC. I've also newly taken on the webmaster position for the LMSC, which is going to be a pain in the butt for a while, till I learn the system.
  • Most Inspirational Award - Peony Munger - many of you remember her story of the miles of butterfly over the past year, in addition to her battle of Pancreatic Cancer (she has outlived the doctor's estimate by over 6 months already). Through all her chemo treatments and everything she's been going to, she hasn't missed a practice that she was available to get to. She really loves her team, teammates, and the sport of swimming. It was a very happy occasion.
  • Overall Season Team Points Championship - Wenatchee Valley Masters
Can't really do any better than that as a team in the LMSC! Now we just have to try to improve on that over the next year!

================================

500 Free - did this as 500 Fly 5:58.40 - best time as far as my 4 500 Flys that I've done.
28.0 / 32.9
35.3 / 36.4
37.1 / 37.8
38.2 / 38.4
38.6 / 35.5

I was happy that I broke 6:00 with this, which was my goal. After all the talk last night at the meeting with the Inspirational Award, I wanted to do a 500 Fly for Peony to actually witness in person. She wasn't able to see my 1000 Fly swim last fall, so this was a perfect opportunity.
Originally, I was going to go for the LMSC record in the 500 Free (5:06), but I just wasn't feeling it today anyway, so that made it easier to do fly as well.

100 Fly - 56.68 Masters Best Time by 0.2 seconds
Not bad for coming after the 500 Fly either. I had to chase Ian Mosher from PNA who ended up going a 51.98!! WOW!!
26.5 / 30.1

200 Free - 2:00.29 - shouldn't have swum this. I could barely even haul myself to the blocks for the race...but I don't like to skip events. At least I held my splits. I think I'm going to stay away from freestyle events for a while. Just not feeling it either.
28.3 / 30.1 / 30.9 / 30.9

200 IM - 2:12.14 - good considering how I felt, this was decent.
27.0 / 35.3 / 39.0 / 30.7

============================

Also, got my splits from Day 1's events:
400 IM - 4:34.65
27.2 / 31.6
36.8 / 36.6 ouch
39.9 / 40.5 ouch
31.5 / 30.6 ouch

200 Fly - 2:06.30
27.7 / 31.0
34.1 / 33.5

Submit "Sunday, April 1, 2012 NW Zone Day 2 results" to Digg Submit "Sunday, April 1, 2012 NW Zone Day 2 results" to del.icio.us Submit "Sunday, April 1, 2012 NW Zone Day 2 results" to StumbleUpon Submit "Sunday, April 1, 2012 NW Zone Day 2 results" to Google

Comments

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    500 fly at altitude... Impressive! What is your race strategy for this unpopular event?

Re: competing at elevation, I am going to drive to Bend the morning of the meet so the altitude doesn't mess with me as much.
    BTW new webmaster dude, this file went missing: http://www.inlandnwmasters.org/meets...WAT-Plunge.pdf
    Quote Originally Posted by That Guy
    500 fly at altitude... Impressive! What is your race strategy for this unpopular event?

Re: competing at elevation, I am going to drive to Bend the morning of the meet so the altitude doesn't mess with me as much.
    Race Strategy: Spur of the moment actually works the best. I decided during Heat #3 that I would do it (I was in Heat #5). I didn't tell anyone except Peony, so lots of people were surprised. I had my whole team at the end of the lane within the first 100 cheering me on though, which was nice! Breathing was tough though for sure!! I wanted to hold a 2up-1down cycle, but that turned into a 3, then 4, then almost every stroke breathing pattern.

As far as the trip to Bend...it is doable, but a long drive. The nice thing is they start their meets around lunchtime. I did that exact thing last December for the SCM Penatathalon meet, driving 6 hours, then swimming lifetime bests!!
    BTW new webmaster dude, this file went missing: http://www.inlandnwmasters.org/meets...WAT-Plunge.pdf
    I'm sorry for your loss. Deal with it for now.
    signed

web-dude in self-training

P.S. I haven't changed anything yet, so that was lost before I got control of the frickin' thing!
    I know my wife has been told by her running aficionados that, when she heads north in Arizona for races at altitude, to drive in that morning of the race for the very reasons you mention.

You gotta be impressed with first finishing a 500 fly and then knocking off a best 100 fly time. Great effort.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    I know my wife has been told by her running aficionados that, when she heads north in Arizona for races at altitude, to drive in that morning of the race for the very reasons you mention.
    Yeah, I figured the college coaches that trained in the elevated areas of the country knew what they were talking about.

You gotta be impressed with first finishing a 500 fly and then knocking off a best 100 fly time. Great effort.
    It was one of those moments like the picture of Leslie a few weeks ago when she did her WR. I was shocked!
    I was looking for a swimming converter that adjusted for altitude and found this: http://www.csi.org/coursealti.aspx

Looks like you don't get credit unless you're above 3,000 feet.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1
    As far as the trip to Bend...it is doable, but a long drive. The nice thing is they start their meets around lunchtime. I did that exact thing last December for the SCM Penatathalon meet, driving 6 hours, then swimming lifetime bests!!
    Yep, that is my plan exactly :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by knelson
    I was looking for a swimming converter that adjusted for altitude and found this: http://www.csi.org/coursealti.aspx

That makes sense. At Coeur d'Alene (2200 feet) I barely noticed the altitude. And I raced the 1500 that day!

But credit is only for qualifying times, etc. Not for records.
    That's my April Fool's leftovers...
    You'll be in charge of the bus again tomorrow!
    But credit is only for qualifying times, etc. Not for records.
    Right, but at least you can get an idea of how much faster the swim would have been at sea level. I'm sure at 2,700 feet your body "feels" that altitude somewhat, but I don't know how much.
    Happy 500 fly! Very nice to break 6:00. And a PR afterward? Bravo. Mental note: do not swim at altitude.
    Right, but at least you can get an idea of how much faster the swim would have been at sea level. I'm sure at 2,700 feet your body "feels" that altitude somewhat, but I don't know how much.
    That's why I'm going to 100% enjoy my 400 IM at the PNA Champs in a few weeks.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Happy 500 fly! Very nice to break 6:00. And a PR afterward? Bravo. Mental note: do not swim at altitude.
    Yes, the 500 Fly was my "community service" for the weekend. Definitely for a good cause. I was wiped out afterward...completely gassed, sitting in my chair about to pass out. Managed to get myself to the blocks for the 100 Fly about 1/2 hour later and just gave it all I could. I was surprised to say the least. After that swim though...my day was really shot!

Sometimes it weird how things happen when you're not expecting it, or when you put no pressure on the event.
    That's why I'm going to 100% enjoy my 400 IM at the PNA Champs in a few weeks.
    Me too! And it's not a "few" weeks, it's now less than two.
    Me too! And it's not a "few" weeks, it's now less than two.
    Oh my gosh!! Fun for me, since I'm not swimming much this week. Work before play! At least I'm getting OT for my efforts!!
    Excellent swims, and wowie on the 500 fly!
    Great 500 fly! That's faster than I'd do a 500 free (if I ever swam one).

Yea 2200 feet is probably barely noticeable, unless maybe if you live at sea level. The Phoenix area is around 1000 to 1500 feet, Tucson 2000 to 2500, and I never notice the difference. I sure do in Flagstaff though, at 7000+.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast