View RSS Feed

Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine

NSR - somewhat

Rate this Entry
Not to much to report in the way of water. I did play some basketball last night with my son at his school in a men's league that meets for pickup games. Ended up playing for 3 hours with just over 30 minutes subbed out - my legs are fried! I haven't played hoops in almost a year, but figure I'll add this in as crosstraining since I can make just about every Sunday evening. Much props to Alex for hooping it up with the kids at his school, as I am having trouble making it up and down stairs today!

Oh, and the Kingdom Swim folks have designated this week "Be kind to your Yaker" week, so I thought I would post this picture here of me and my yaker Bob:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1317082934005.jpg 
Views:	299 
Size:	38.8 KB 
ID:	6814

Bob lives in Portland, Maine, and has been my wingman for the 2.4 mile Peaks to Portland swim up that way for the past two years, and also drove to RI to paddle me through the 10k swim last September (where this picture was taken with race organizer Ray Gandy, in the middle, swam 27 hours and 42 minutes covering 45.6 miles in Narragansett Bay, Rhode Island, last year as a fundraiser for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society). A better yaker would be hard to find, as he is willingly going to join me on the 10 mile course in northeastern VT this July. Sometimes I feel bad for him roasting in his kayak, but then I go back to thinking about swimming.

Do something kind for your yaker this week, because of all that they do for you.

Otherwise, I have to float to a store in Burlington tomorrow (a three hour drive) to work . This type of thing always happens when I have a vacation coming up - kind of an unsaid obligation that we have in order to get time off for our own vacation. Oh well, I might actually get home in time to make the masters Tuesday evening practice tomorrow night - that would be a plus.

Submit "NSR - somewhat" to Digg Submit "NSR - somewhat" to del.icio.us Submit "NSR - somewhat" to StumbleUpon Submit "NSR - somewhat" to Google

Updated April 2nd, 2012 at 04:01 PM by rxleakem

Categories
NSR

Comments

Just wait until tomorrow... that's when the real pain sets in! Start taking ibuprofen now

So, how did you find a kayaker willing to spend that much time on the water? I'm thinking about enlisting one of my kids... just need to get a kayak first!
    I just got to the hotel, and almost did not get out of the car!

I have seen lots of family combos at swims. Bob was in my wife's class in high school, and since my first swim was in Portland and he had one, he volunteered. I think the big swim this summer will last around five hours, so we'll see how much more of this experiment he is willing to participate in.
    Peaks to Portland Registration just opened:

http://www.cumberlandcountyymca.org/p2p
    or, for a more direct link:

http://www.kintera.org/faf/home/defa...ievent=1021445
    Thanks, JBS! I'm planning to do that again this year. Are you going to take take the challenge this year, sans wetsuit?
    Quote Originally Posted by rxleakem
    Thanks, JBS! I'm planning to do that again this year. Are you going to take take the challenge this year, sans wetsuit?
    Hmmm, that's a little more complicated than it might seem.

The first question is whether I'm going to swim Peaks at all. Clearing that hurdle (which is unfortunately extremely likely) is linked pretty closely to whether I wear a wetsuit or not.

It's not the cold -- or at least not the Peaks temperatures. And I prefer to swim without a wetsuit. Most, if not all of my other races will be without a wetsuit.

However, for my workout group, Peaks is THE race of the season. Some people do not do any other races. It ends up being the focal point of trash talk, etc. Right now, the only reason I can come up with to do Peaks would be to race my group -- and they will all wear wetsuits. Every year, I've gotten closer and closer to my group. Last year, I finally beat a couple and was only 10 seconds behind another. But if I go without the suit ... as much as I don't like it, there is a speed advantage, so I almost think I'd be giving up the race to them.

At least that's today's thinking.