Recapping the Last Few Months
by, April 6th, 2012 at 08:04 AM (1164 Views)
You may have noticed that I haven't posted anything since last December - and my last few entry topics surrounded the issues I was having with my shoulder. Unfortunately, rest didn't help a thing. My shoulder never got better and on January 19, I had surgery to repair a 75% torn rotator cuff. The doc took pictures of the remaining 25% and how it was shredding too. Now, with two screws holding my left shoulder together, I am cleared to get back in the water. Before you cringe... I'm mainly kicking - and slowly testing the "shoulder" waters.
I actually got back in the water a few weeks ago and have been trying to increase what I can do day by day (actually every other day - I'm trying really hard to limit myself to 3-4 days per week max in the pool).
My victory yesterday - I swam an entire 50 Free without fins to aid my shoulder. It wasn't fast - only a :45, but it was a full 50.
My struggle today - pain. Not good. I went back to a few unassisted 25 Frees with a 25 Kick to get back to the wall. I find myself doing a lot of one-arm fly and one-arm back. I can do about 4 left-arm fly strokes before my shoulder gets tired, but I still don't have the strength to get both of my shoulders out of the water - on the same timing schedule - to be able to swim full fly strokes yet. Those of you who read this last year know that fly is my favorite stroke. Ugh....
I had high hopes for this season - great SCY times culminating in our Indiana State Meet (missed the entire SCY season), my first Aquabike in May (not happening), the USMS LCM Nationals in Omaha (highly, highly unlikely), and a great Open Water season (for which I am still holding out a bit of hope to be back by the end of summer). So... needless to say, Year 3 is not what I expected. Stay tuned... we'll see where I go from here.