View RSS Feed

Vlog the Inhaler, or The Occasional Video Blog Musings of Jim Thornton

Swimboy Pictorial

Rate this Entry
Leaving tomorrow to interview Mr. Lochte; hoping, upon return, for advice and commentary on this and that regarding hodge podge below:

Picture 1.

Note: this first picture is the only entirely swimming related-part of today's vlog, so readers who can respond with advice to the questions raised therein will be excused from continuing onwards into what, even I concede, is ultimately a dark place indeed beginning around Picture 5.

Picture 2.

Artists abound within our swimming ranks. At our recent Y championships at Clarion University, an incredibly affable swimmer named Mike Genz drew the following for my coach's 6-year-old daughter, Ciara. Mike was an animator for Disney till carpal tunnel forced him to take a break. He got a tenured position at Edinboro University teaching animation, and that's how he wound up in our hickish neck of the woods. While employed by Disney, he worked on numerous films. He did, for example, all of Ariel's sisters in The Little Mermaid, plus all the eels!

Picture 3.

Another great swimmer-illustrator is our very own D.B. "Doug" Dowd, who posts under the name Red60.

Picture 4.

Red it is! Anybody with an interest in graphic design and a wonderful way of bringing travel to life should contact Red for a copy of Spartan Holiday!
You can send him a private message here: http://forums.usms.org/private.php?do=newpm&u=4764

Picture 5.

Hypothesis: you don't need to be talented to be a good artist. Example: I happened upon the following picture of myself and noticed that the bottom half of my upside down face had a certain science fiction quality that was more attractive, or at least more commanding, than the top half.

Picture 6.

Using Microsoft Paint, I surgically excised the unwanted parts of my face, added a new forehead, sketched in a little mouth, and added some arms. It occurred to me that upside down, and with half my head removed, I looked exactly like one of my pugs!

Picture 7.

Hypothesis: Disproven. You do need to be talented to be a good artist. I sent my concept to my twin brother, John "Rusty Scupperton" Thornton, who brought the Pug Jim chimera disturbingly to life!

The picture reminded me greatly of a poem most of us read in college, which sounds a powerful cautionary note against the bestial impulse that, quite frankly, is universal in human males:

The Pug Child

WITH APOLOGIES TO JAMES L. DICKEY
Pug owners wild to couple
With anything with soft-curly tails
With mounds of earth mounds
Of pinestraw will keep themselves off
Animals by legends of their own:
In the dog nest dark
And dung of yards, they will
Say I have heard tell

That in a museum in Ambridge, PA

Way back in a corner somewhere
Thereís this thing thatís only half
Pug like a worried baby
Pickled in alcohol because
Those things canít live. his eyes
Are open but you canít stand to look
I heard from somebody who ...

But this is now almost all

Gone. The boys have taken
Their own true wives in the city,
The pugs are safe in the west hill
Kennel but we who were born there
Still are not sure. Are we,
Because we remember, remembered
In the terrible dust of museums?

Merely with his eyes, the pug-child may

Be saying saying

I am here, in my fatherís Dog-gloo.

I who am half of your world, came deeply
To my mother before her bowl
Of Science Diet, where she stood like moonlight
Listening for pussies. It was something like love
From another world that seized her
From behind, and she gave, not lifting her head
Out of the kibble, without ever looking, her best
Self to that great need. Turned loose, she dipped her face
Farther into the Kennel Ration, and in a sound
Of sobbing of something stumbling
Away, began, as she must do,
To carry me. I woke, dying,

In the summer sun of the hillside, with my eyes

Far more than human. I saw for a blazing moment
The great dog run world from both sides,
Man and wolves in the round of their need,
And the hill wind stirred in my coat,
My paw and my hand clasped each other,
I ate my one meal
Of Purina Chow, and died
Staring. From dark meat I came straight

To my fatherís house, whose dust

Whirls up in the halls for no reason
When no one comes piling deep in a hellish mild corner,
And, through my immortal waters,
I meet the sunís flesh eye
To eye, and they fail at my closet of glass.
Dead, I am most surely living
In the minds of pug owning boys: I am he who drives
Them like wolves from the sow and hen
And from the chaste bitch in the wind.
They go into woods into bean fields they go
Deep into their known right hands. Dreaming of me,
They groan they wait they suffer
Themselves, they marry, they raise their kind.

Picture 8.

Chances are that anyone who has continued reading up to this point will enjoy the bejesus out of my wonderful brother's latest movie, itself a tremendous gem of activist art! How I love the good nature and earnest bonhomie/sensibility of this American Baby!

To complete your Easter journey, simply click on here to find out that there are worse monsters afoot in these United States than the odd, short-lived Pug Children who live for a day among us before expiring!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrpQ...V6qahcFfHS-cI=

Submit "Swimboy Pictorial" to Digg Submit "Swimboy Pictorial" to del.icio.us Submit "Swimboy Pictorial" to StumbleUpon Submit "Swimboy Pictorial" to Google

Updated April 8th, 2012 at 04:09 PM by jim thornton

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    i think you've lost it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Dickson
    You just realized that now?
    Jim, I have a site for you. I bet they would accept you immediately once they find your love for plastic horses.http://bronies.memebase.com/
    Right! Like Cletus had two human parents!

Have you ever noticed that those who most want laws to prevent bestiality (Rick Santorum) are those who most need such laws?
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    You just realized that now?
    Patrick, what is the orientation of your feet as you push off the wall from a flip turn? Toes up? Toes down? Or toes at some kind of angle?
    Quote Originally Posted by swimshark
    Jim, I have a site for you. I bet they would accept you immediately once they find your love for plastic horses.http://bronies.memebase.com/
    And some say I have lost it! These Brony people are out of control!

P.S. What is a Brony? I get that the "ony" is the back half of "pony" but what is the Br part?
    once again, i follow maybe 50% of your vlog. I can answer one question though. feet at 45 degree angle.
    There's a lot of underwater video of elite flip turns on YouTube. Usually about 45 degrees between horizontal and backstroke-vertical. I have never even thought about my foot angle on a flip turn, though. I just try to get over the top fast and push off with a lot of power.
    for a guy with one of the top 5 times in our age group in the 1000 yd freestyle (39 flips) , your turns are not affecting your times! Why worry?
    Quote Originally Posted by Water Rat
    once again, i follow maybe 50% of your vlog. I can answer one question though. feet at 45 degree angle.
    Mark, let me know which part you had trouble with and I will try my best to supply a remedial tutorial!

Hey, are you back from Mexico?

I am going to Nationals and will do my best to help you develop the kind of mentality that will unleash your inner potential!

You simply need to put yourself into my capable but unconventional hands, like Brian Wilson did with that California shrink-charlatan or that Russian davatchka did with Rasputin.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazz Hands
    There's a lot of underwater video of elite flip turns on YouTube. Usually about 45 degrees between horizontal and backstroke-vertical. I have never even thought about my foot angle on a flip turn, though. I just try to get over the top fast and push off with a lot of power.
    Thanks, but perhaps the foot angle is less important than the big picture.

What I was told was that my legs were swinging over at roughly a 45 degree angle, setting me up for a push off that was less than straight back towards the opposite wall.

I obviously didn't see these turns myself, but the gist of the advice was that I was using a circle swimming flip turn--good to avoid crashing into the swimmer following me during practice, but not so good when I am swimming races in the non-Euclidian fashion. One fellow went so far as to estimate that my 500 free was probably closer to a 510 free given the oval-like pattern I traced between the lap lines.

I think the idea was that if my feet went directly over my head, and I landed with them upside down on the wall, I could push off straight and save myself some distance by eliminating the circle swimming.

I will check out some YouTube flip turn videos!
    Quote Originally Posted by kuztoo
    for a guy with one of the top 5 times in our age group in the 1000 yd freestyle (39 flips) , your turns are not affecting your times! Why worry?
    John, please check previous answer. I do tend to circle swim during both practices and meets, and problem no doubt exacerbated by my tendency to swim with my eyes closed. I was hoping a small change in the flip turn orientation might eliminate some of this, cutting down by a few yards how much I actually traverse for each 100 I travel!
    Quote Originally Posted by jim thornton
    Thanks, but perhaps the foot angle is less important than the big picture.

What I was told was that my legs were swinging over at roughly a 45 degree angle, setting me up for a push off that was less than straight back towards the opposite wall.

I obviously didn't see these turns myself, but the gist of the advice was that I was using a circle swimming flip turn--good to avoid crashing into the swimmer following me during practice, but not so good when I am swimming races in the non-Euclidian fashion. One fellow went so far as to estimate that my 500 free was probably closer to a 510 free given the oval-like pattern I traced between the lap lines.

I think the idea was that if my feet went directly over my head, and I landed with them upside down on the wall, I could push off straight and save myself some distance by eliminating the circle swimming.

I will check out some YouTube flip turn videos!
    Well, when you put it that way, I agree. Fix it. Don't circle swim. You need to practice some 500 pace swims with the lane all to yourself. Follow the black line and come over the top on your turns.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazz Hands
    Well, when you put it that way, I agree. Fix it. Don't circle swim. You need to practice some 500 pace swims with the lane all to yourself. Follow the black line and come over the top on your turns.
    Jazz, I just took your suggestion and checked out some flip turns on YouTube.

The first one didn't have sound, but your could see that he was planting his feet pretty much in backstroke position, i.e., toes up.

The second one, made by LiveStrong, is clearly this way. A snapshot from the LiveStrong movie:

What it looks like to my eye is this:

1. Sommersault straight over
    2. Plant feet (actually, balls of feet) in backstroke position
    3. Push off on your back
    4. While gliding but before the first SDK, twist over to normal freestyle body position

Only then, when you are pretty much back to freestyle (as opposed to backstroke) body posture, do you take a few SDKs and prepare for the breakout.

Here's the Livestrong video:

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EL3v1saCQw&feature=fvwp&NR=1"]How to Do a Flip Turn - YouTube[/nomedia]

Here's the other video that doesn't have sound (but where the guy's feet might be just a smidgen off the 12 o'clock high backstroke pushoff position, but certainly nowhere near 45 degrees:

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtP8xgzm6do"]Freestyle Flip Turn Technique by www.swimaffect.com - YouTube[/nomedia]
    One more: Natalie C.

She also does the 12 o'clock high push off, but she begins her SDK on her side, swiveling to freestyle position in the process.

Pretty impressive, I must say.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyw4ftnyZ18"]Natalie Coughlin Swim Tip #5: Flip Turn - YouTube[/nomedia]
    That's a video for people who don't know how to do a flip turn at all. The guy isn't trying to go fast, so he has a really lazy technique.

Watch some world and Olympic finals in the 100m free. They usually show the turn underwater. What is the body orientation of these guys when they hit the wall?

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmteBFhsvYw"]Men's FINAL 100m Freestyle Shanghai 2011 MAGNUSSEN James 100m Nage Libre Hommes - YouTube[/nomedia]
    Here's another one, with Thorpe and VDH: [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaN-_jeeaXs"]100 Freestyle Athens 2004 - YouTube[/nomedia]
    Sorry that I'm getting to this late, but I 100% agree with Kurt's first comment, even before reading any of the other 16 or so comments below #1.
    A few more points...the angle of your feet has nothing to do with why you are swimming circles...just stop pushing off that way.

Your baby is on crack and helium...the government has mandated all be seen by ERs but has not funded this law in the like 25 plus years since it was enacted which I think would include a few democratic majorities and administrations. No other "right" we have obligates another, say me for instance, to perform a service and not get payed for it and have the opportunity to get sued for it as well. The affordable act mandates all have insurance or pay a fine. Good luck enforcing that.

Since you love Santorum so much...here is a good one...[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=js3BYcHmBhE"]"Rick Santorum" ‚ÄĒ A BLR Soundbite - YouTube[/nomedia]
    Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1
    Sorry that I'm getting to this late, but I 100% agree with Kurt's first comment, even before reading any of the other 16 or so comments below #1.
    Kurt was being comical and, parenthetically, had just completed doing morning stock inventory of the Fentanyl lollipops. Don't pay no never mind to him!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast