View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Zones, April 14

Rate this Entry
200 mixed medley relay, 26.5:

We won the 18+ age group even with two geezers on the back half. I split a 26.5 on the fly leg. I was surprised by the split b/c I felt crummy in warm up (legs tired) and had horrible breakouts. (Jazz, Jimby and Pete all said it looked kinda crappy.) Not sure why the fatigue. I suppose it's partly due to the horrible sleep the last 10 days. It may also be allergies. My throat is sore and it's descending into my chest. Spring is tough for me, and I am hoping there's no downward spiral.

50 fly, PR/NR, 26.63

I had a couple hours before this event. Plenty of time to wake up some more and get mentally focused for the race. I wanted to execute better than on the relay, and I think I did. I felt like I had a quick start and my breakouts were clean. I probably could have stayed under longer on the second length. It was a fast heat with six women under 27.3. SwimShark filmed the race, and I will post the video later. I was extremely happy with the time, and so happy to get the NR now!!! 50 fly is the last day of Nationals, and I could be tired by then.

Women's 200 free relay, 25.31 lead off:

I only had about 20 minutes before the race, so I was still tired from fly. My diva sprinter body needs an hour+. I led off with a 25.31. Jazz said the race looked "tired." I felt a bit sloppy and inhaled a huge amount of water on my first breath. Still, that's a pretty solid time for me. I did put in a split request, and may rest on this time for the season. Maybe one season I'll work on this event. I can't remember the last time I swam it fresh.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Today, I'm just swimming the 100 breast and 2 relays. I don't have a 100 IM in me. I'm not mentally into this meet with Nationals looming. My shoulder felt better Friday, but is sore this am from the free/fly sprinting.

It was great hanging out with my visiting buddies and getting to meet Chowmi. She swam well in every event yesterday!

Submit "Zones, April 14" to Digg Submit "Zones, April 14" to del.icio.us Submit "Zones, April 14" to StumbleUpon Submit "Zones, April 14" to Google

Updated April 15th, 2012 at 06:46 PM by The Fortress

Categories
Masters Swim Meets / Events

Comments

Great job Fort!
    Nice job ... have an evil-great day today.
    Jazz, Jimby and Pete all said it looked kinda crappy
    They're just jealous of all your success!!

Nice job on another great day!
    Thanks That Guy!

I'm scratching my individual events today, Patrick. Not feeling it and tired. I'm not fond of meets 10 days before Nationals. And I want to avert mental burnout from too much racing. We weeny sprinters can't bring it all the time.

Thanks James! The fact is I'm human and don't swim great all the time. I just completely botched s freestyle turn this am. . But I don't care cuz I'm happy with my one great race.
    Updated April 15th, 2012 at 12:57 PM by The Fortress
    Sure hope you're not referring to yourself as an old geezer! I believe we in sports are redefining the definition of aging!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    I just completely botched a freestyle turn this am. .
    Don't worry...us D folks care about turns too! I botched my 2nd freestyle flip on my 400IM yesterday which could've cost me the record.
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestial
    Sure hope you're not referring to yourself as an old geezer! I believe we in sports are redefining the definition of aging!
    Thanks Celeste! I hope we are. I certainly feel sorry when I see people our age who haven't exercised and are in terrible shape.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1
    Don't worry...us D folks care about turns too! I botched my 2nd freestyle flip on my 400IM yesterday which could've cost me the record.
    Execution is so important in swimming. That's one reason I've learned to really appreciate the races that go perfectly. You'll get that record. It sounded like you were on fire at you meet!
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestial

Me too. And, some meet Fort - way to go.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sojerz
    Me too. And, some meet Fort - way to go.
    Thanks! Considering I felt unrested, I am really happy with the times. And so happy the 50 fly was well executed.
    way to go
    new PR & NR on the 50 FL,
    all your strength, speed & SDK training works
    plus you won the [ame="http://www.usms.org/forums/showpost.php?p=265010&postcount=29"]lawyer gridge[/ame]
    Solid 50 fr, bet you can get under 25
    decent FL split on the relay
    Quote Originally Posted by ande
    way to go
    new PR & NR on the 50 FL,
    all your strength, speed & SDK training works
    plus you won the lawyer gridge
    Solid 50 fr, bet you can get under 25
    decent FL split on the relay
    Yeah, Jazz thinks I can go sub 25 as well. I wouldn't rule it out. But I would need to do more fast 50 frees in practice and really work on my flip turns. I do almost zilch free in practice right now.