View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Zones, Day 2, April 15

Rate this Entry
I woke up this am still tired and with a sore shoulder. I made two immediate decisions:

1. I was scratching my individual events today. I had already decided not to swim the 100 IM, but added the 100 breast to the scrap heap as well. Nationals is 10 days away, I'm tired and there was no need to swim two 100s today. This is especially true since my shoulder/scapula aches after yesterday's sprints.

2. I won't swim the 50 free at Nationals. It's my 6th event anyway. I would rather stand on the 25.31 that I swam yesterday and was happy with. This is currently #1 in the event rankings and would have been AA last year. It will likely get knocked down a couple notches or so at Nationals with the very fast new 50 year olds. But that's fine. Freestyle is a very shoulder driven stroke; with my straight arm technique, there is even more torque on the shoulder. If I'm not swimming free at nationals, I can stop doing fast or AFAP 25 frees in practice and save the wear and tear. This seems like a no brainer. Happily, my 25.31 is faster than the 25.99 I swam leading off a relay at Zones last year.

So, I restricted my swims to two relays, going about 95% in each of them.

Mixed 200 free relay

Led off in 25.7 -- .4 worse than yesterday. I think it was mostly in the turn. I absolutely botched it. Pushed off way too deep and veered off to the side. My legs felt a bit like tassels as well. No matter, as I have the solid 25.31 time from yesterday. And our relay scored needed points. As I said yesterday, one year I would like to swim this race well rested. It always feels like a leftover after my other focus events or done on short rest.

Women's 200 medley relay

I swam the fly leg and split a 26.7. I was very pleased with this considering I was tired, went about 95% and took 3 breaths. (I only took 1 in the open race yesterday.)

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I was supremely happy all day with my decisions, and got to watch a lot of other good races I just need to be smart, not greedy in these circumstances. And I did get some excellent start and turn practice with my 5 x 50s at this meet.

I do think the acupuncture & cupping helped last week as my shoulder/scapula felt pretty good on Friday. Right now, I am dreaming of ice, which I can't use with the PRP. But I have more body work scheduled this week. More importantly, I am shifting into major resting. Nothing more than a fast 25 or burst from here on out. My body is tired from months of HIT training and I need to rest rest rest and REST. I don't think I can get enough rest! And hopefully I can log some sleep.

I am still on a high about my 50 fly yesterday. That totally made my weekend. I can't wait to see the video. I feel like I've had such a good season. I just hope I can rest up and get mentally prepared for Nationals now. I've been feeling beat up lately and need to harness some excitement for the big show. Nursing these long term injuries seems to zap my mental energy. Maybe a case of the taper b*tchies will help.

I'm very proud of my Lil Fort. She ran a very fast 5K in Boston today on a hilly course by herself. (Previously, she's had Mr. Fort to pace her.) As for Mr. Fort, there is a heat advisory for the Boston Marathon tomorrow with a high of 90 expected. They are advising only the "most fit" to run and granting QT deferrals to run next year. Mr. Fort's training partner is abandoning hopes of PR-ing because he always cramps in heat. Mr. Fort is going to start out on pace and just see how he feels. It really sucks to train all that time and have ungodly heat in April, almost like getting sick for a taper meet or something.

I didn't get to say goodbye to Chowmi as I had to hang around for the very last relay. It was fantastic to meet her! And she swam really well. Her 200 back was impressive and she had a lot left the last 50.

I did get Speedo's 50 and 100 free, Jazz's 50 free and Chowmi's 50 free and will upload those shortly.

Submit "Zones, Day 2, April 15" to Digg Submit "Zones, Day 2, April 15" to del.icio.us Submit "Zones, Day 2, April 15" to StumbleUpon Submit "Zones, Day 2, April 15" to Google

Updated April 15th, 2012 at 07:46 PM by The Fortress

Categories
Masters Swim Meets / Events

Comments

Congratulations on the NR! I think that would be enough for me too

What's up with the Boston Marathon? The weather there always seems to be unusually warm or cold lately, and not really decent. Very odd that it will be 90 there, when it snowed in Tucson yesterday
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    Congratulations on the NR! I think that would be enough for me too

What's up with the Boston Marathon? The weather there always seems to be unusually warm or cold lately, and not really decent. Very odd that it will be 90 there, when it snowed in Tucson yesterday
    Thanks, I was totally stoked by it. Plenty for me!!!

The marathon news is disappointing. The race directors were suggesting people run 2 minutes slower than their previously intended pace. That is huge. Kind of a bummer for people who sunk $$$ into going to Boston for the weekend. I doubt Mr. Fort will be able to get his BQ for next year under those conditions. Other folks he knows there are just going to run conservatively and finish. I think last year it was high 50s. But 90 is death for a marathon.
    It seems like you have a good shot at breaking the NR in the 50 free, though I suppose not worth the cost of messing your shoulders up for the rest of your events or anything long term.

Looking forward to seeing you swim at nationals!
    decent Day 2
    hope your sore shoulder gets better
    scratching events can be a relief, the 100 IM & breast are tiring, what were you doing in the Br anyway, it's evil

Nationals are 10 days away, rest rest rest, & do some race prep

botched turns and tassels legs can slow you down
    decent fl split

sleep will help, get some

i bet you're high about your 50 fly
    breaking records is fun
    Quote Originally Posted by SwimKat
    It seems like you have a good shot at breaking the NR in the 50 free, though I suppose not worth the cost of messing your shoulders up for the rest of your events or anything long term.

Looking forward to seeing you swim at nationals!
    Maybe. But there are some other fast freestylers entered in the event at Nationals. Plus, my flip turns are appalling and I need to really focus on them if I want to improve.

I definitely don't want to mess anything up for my 2 best events on day 3!
    Quote Originally Posted by ande
    decent Day 2
    hope your sore shoulder gets better
    scratching events can be a relief, the 100 IM & breast are tiring, what were you doing in the Br anyway, it's evil

Nationals are 10 days away, rest rest rest, & do some race prep

botched turns and tassels legs can slow you down
    decent fl split

sleep will help, get some

i bet you're high about your 50 fly
    breaking records is fun
    I was doing the 100 breast just on a whim and to maybe make TT.

I felt tired in every 50 I swam this weekend. Probably accumulated training fatigue, though I did rest a few days. I still had speed, it just didn't feel like easy speed. More like forcing myself to push through dead legs. The only race I was 100% mentally focused and ready for was the open 50 fly. Even in that, I died the last few strokes. Given that, I was incredibly happy to see that time. I hope rest will correct the blahs from the weekend.
    Great to meet you! And it's not really goodbye, but the start of periodic visits to your meets! Congrats again on your national record! You might try leeches. They will look good in the middle of each of the sucker cups.
    I heard you were breaking national records again, so I had to swing by to see what it was all about...jeez you are fast! Haha. Keep up the good work.
    Quote Originally Posted by chowmi
    Great to meet you! And it's not really goodbye, but the start of periodic visits to your meets! Congrats again on your national record! You might try leeches. They will look good in the middle of each of the sucker cups.
    Glad it's not goodbye! Maybe we can meet in the middle of the country sometime too!
    Quote Originally Posted by gdanner
    I heard you were breaking national records again, so I had to swing by to see what it was all about...jeez you are fast! Haha. Keep up the good work.
    Thanks Greg!