View RSS Feed

Elise's Fitness Fun

Countdown to 2013 SCY Nationals

Rate this Entry
by , April 16th, 2012 at 07:30 PM (1529 Views)
Nope. No typo in the title. I really mean 2013. Got in good shape for 2010 SCY Nationals and thought I would take a 6 month break from any kind of consistent training. Six months turned into nearly two years. I wasn't too bad of a couch potato during this time. I bowled, hiked, rode my bike at moderate paces, and jogged with my dog. During the last two years, I have done some extensive remodeling on the house and have been working on my masters degree in history. I will be graduating in December provided I pass my oral comprehensive exams.

In any case, when I saw that SCY Nats was going to be held in Indianapolis next year, I decided I'd better start getting back in shape. I really like the pool at Indy and miss seeing my friends. I'd like to go and make a decent showing which for me means maybe getting lucky and getting a tenth place finish.

I'm going to try something which some might consider to be somewhat unorthodox.
I am going to focus on weightlifting before I get back into heavy swimming. In fact, for the first few weeks back, I am going to just use my swimming as a cool-down from my weights. While I am building my strength this summer and early fall, I'll probably stick to drills, easy swimming, and maybe a few sprints at the end. Only after I have built up my strength, will I ease down on the weights and focus more on swimming. My strategy is to build strength and minimize the chance of injury. Also, I hate getting back in the pool and doing regular workouts before I have started doing weights. I always feel pathetically weak!

I'll probably do a little bit of cross-training, but will keep it to a minimum. I'm more interested in getting strong and swimming well.

Anyway, here is the workout I did today:

Warm-up: 5 minutes on the gauntlet

Bench press: bar x 10, 65 x 8, 85 x 6, 65 x 8, bar x 10

Lat hi row: 90 x 10, 100 x 8, 110 x 6, 100 x 8, 90 x 10

Hammer curls: 3 sets of 12 x 10

Leg Press: 130 x 10, 150 x 8, 170 x 6, 150 x 8, 130 x 10

Hip adduction: 110 x 10, 120 x 8, 130 x 6, 120 x 8, 110 x 10

Hip abduction: 110 x 10, 115 x 8, 120 x 6, 115 x 8, 110 x 10

Seated ankle-flexion machine: 3 sets of 45 x 10

Captains chair: 3 sets of 20

1.25 mile walk with 4 x 100 yard sprints

Submit "Countdown to 2013 SCY Nationals" to Digg Submit "Countdown to 2013 SCY Nationals" to del.icio.us Submit "Countdown to 2013 SCY Nationals" to StumbleUpon Submit "Countdown to 2013 SCY Nationals" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Interesting plan with sensible-sounding motivation. Have you selected your events yet? Did this influence your training plan?
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl_S
    Interesting plan with sensible-sounding motivation. Have you selected your events yet? Did this influence your training plan?
    Thanks for asking, Karl. I know I will be focusing on the sprints. Definitely will do 50 fly and 50 free. My backstroke is unpredictable, but may enter a 50 of that as well.

Knowing that I will probably do spints definitely has influenced my training plan. I don't have a lot of natural strenth, but really enjoy the training involved for sprints (intense, adrenalin-filled, shorter workouts) as opposed to distance. Got to do the weights to get the strength. Plus, I enjoy socializing in the weight room!
    I think it's great to plan ahead! I've been encouraging my team to do the same.