View RSS Feed

Year Three: The Road Back

Happy Kind-of A No-Fins Friday!

Rate this Entry
by , April 20th, 2012 at 12:23 PM (302 Views)
To be honest, while I've done kicking on top of kicking lately, it's been wearing fins. Now, I typically wear the short fins - not the really long ones I started out with. That being said, I was amazed at how much harder my legs were (read: how sore my legs felt) after doing yesterday's entire workout sans fins.

So... today I decided that I would try to do at least part of the workout sans fins. Not only does it help my blisters heal, but it really works my legs so much better than kicking with fins. Who knew?

Here's what I did today:

350 Warm-Up
1 x 300 Free / Fly / Free / Fly (w/ fins) on 6:00
2 Sets (w/ fins and board):
- 1 x 100 Dolphin Kick on 2:00
- 1 x 100 Flutter Kick on 2:00
10 x 25 One-Arm Fly (w/o fins) on :40
1 x 250 One-Arm Fly (w/ fins) on 5:00
1 x 250 Alternating Fly & Free by 50 (w/ fins) on 5:00
2 x 200 Alternating Dolphin & Flutter Kick by 50 (w/o fins) on 5:00
8 x 50 on 1:20 (odd: one arm fly; even: free - w/o fins)
100 Cool-Down
Total Meters: 2700

All in all, it was not a bad day in the pool. And - - I was able to string together 4 full fly strokes in a row (before going back to one-arm fly due to the "message" coming from my left shoulder). It felt great to do full fly, even if only for a little while. And, I was able to do more one-arm fly with my left arm today than before. The extra body rotation with one-arm fly really helps, but I know it's still a process and it's getting better - just not as fast as I would like. AND... I did (albeit wearing fins) a full 250 one-arm fly (right arm) today. Not quite sure why I thought that would be a good idea, but I made it.

Anyhoo, this weekend will be full of pool time as I'm coaching the age group swimmers tonight, and attending both the Fitter & Faster Tour on Saturday and the Advanced Freestyle Clinic on Sunday - both of which are taking place at the Fishers High School pool where I train with my Masters team and coach my Age Group swimmers. Too cool!

Whatever you do this weekend, enjoy!

Submit "Happy Kind-of A No-Fins Friday!" to Digg Submit "Happy Kind-of A No-Fins Friday!" to del.icio.us Submit "Happy Kind-of A No-Fins Friday!" to StumbleUpon Submit "Happy Kind-of A No-Fins Friday!" to Google

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments