View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Rough to Great, Nats Day 2 & 3, April 29

Rate this Entry
Day 2: Rest

This was a super fun day! I had a blast watching the racing and filming friends' events. It was definitely the right call to scratch the early 100 IM. I had a decent night's sleep Friday night after several consecutive nights of insomnia had left me feeling fatigued and zombie like, and was able to rest and reboot for my focus events on Sunday. In fact, as I mull it over, planning a sleep in on the middle day of Nats might be an ideal future strategy for me for 3 day meets!

Scratching is underrated for the likes of us diva HIT sprinters. I did catch a bit of flack for this, which seems odd to me. So make no mistake about one thing: I am not a trained show pony. I will always do what I personally consider is the right course given my body, health and the circumstances.

I do see some future SCY 100s with my name on them. Though my times on Friday were solid, I know I underperformed and can go faster. I'll choose one of them to focus on for the Sprint Classic next October, which is always my first SCY meet.

Day 3: Boom!

50 fly, NR/PR, 26.31

Yowsa, that's fast! I couldn't believe it. This was my third sub 27 when I never thought I'd break 27 again. I executed fairly well. Most importantly, I hit my walls. I may have had a slightly slow reaction time, which is unusual, but I had a fantastic underwater and breakout on the first length -- maybe my best ever. I stayed under longer than I did at Zones. The second breakout was a bit choppier. And my last couple strokes were a bit slow as I lifted my head slightly to peak at the wall trying to time the finish right. Still so unbelievable psyched about the race. It was also the second fastest 50 fly of the meet.

There is a side angle video of the race (no youtube link) on my Facebook wall that Stud took. I think Speedo and Water Rat also filmed the race from above. So hopefully they'll upload it to youtube. Thanks for filming guys! Stud also contributed a huge save. I couldn't locate my Aqua V dome cap shortly before the race (probably left it in the warm up pool in another dumb blonde moment) and he ran off to purchase one for me. It is slightly different and fits better. So now I'll be a white head in all my videos.

Here's Water Rat's vid:
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLyWQkEwjVs"]Fort's NR 50 Fly at USMS Nats 2012 - YouTube[/nomedia]

I also got to meet Mike Sheaves, one of my HIT trainees immediately after the race. He gave me a big congratulatory hug and then swam his own PR. Very cool.

50 back: NR/PR, 27.24

Over the moon about this time too! Again, I had very very good execution. SDKs felt powerful, turnover fast, I came up just before the 15 m mark on the first 25 and hit the finish perfectly. The only slight flaws that I could detect were that I was somewhat flat on the start and could perhaps (not sure) have done one more kick before the second breakout. As with my 50 fly, this was the second fastest overall time of the meet. Honestly, though, of the two swims, I have to think this time is superior. I used to swim fly on our medley relays as a age grouper and my one year of college swimming, so I'm not sure that I've ever done a faster dead start 50 back. Training for fast SDKs is clearly the smartest thing I've done as a masters swimmer.

I haven't watched this race on video. But I think that Elaine and either Speedo or Water Rat filmed it.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

So things started off a bit rough at nationals, but ended with a bang. 2 NRs and swam under the NR in the 100 back. Overall, I could not be happier with my SCY/SCM season to date. And I had a fantastic time at Nationals. Swim folk are simply the best. It was great fun watching the racing and seeing my friends and HIT trainees swim PRs, and then hitting the restaurants for beers and food. (I did eat red meat. )

I am still undecided on Omaha. If I go, I think it will just be for two days for the four 50s on Sat & Sun. I won't be able to do much long course training with an early July date.

As for this week, it's all recovery. I'm wiped. Kicking off the week with acupuncture this afternoon.

Records broken at Nats:
http://www.swimmingworldmagazine.com...ts%20on%20Show

Submit "Rough to Great, Nats Day 2 & 3, April 29" to Digg Submit "Rough to Great, Nats Day 2 & 3, April 29" to del.icio.us Submit "Rough to Great, Nats Day 2 & 3, April 29" to StumbleUpon Submit "Rough to Great, Nats Day 2 & 3, April 29" to Google

Updated May 1st, 2012 at 07:16 PM by The Fortress

Categories
Masters Swim Meets / Events

Comments

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Great to see you, hang out and congrats on the Double NR Sunday. Who cares what the haters say about scratching -- did they break two NRs in the same day? Any?
    congratulations on your 2 outstanding swims
    you gotta be so psyched
    That is some great advertising for the HIT squad!
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    Great to see you, hang out and congrats on the Double NR Sunday. Who cares what the haters say about scratching -- did they break two NRs in the same day? Any?
    Thanks Patrick! Glad you joined us on Sat night! I was thrilled, and nice to re-set the NRs at the big show.

I think it's odd. Event choice and scratching is personal. I would never question anyone's decision or even want to know the basis for it. But everyone's different. It in now= way diminishes my joy -- I was just making myself perfectly clear. I march to my own drummer.
    Quote Originally Posted by ande
    congratulations on your 2 outstanding swims
    you gotta be so psyched
    Thanks Ande. Can't wipe the smile off my face!
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    That is some great advertising for the HIT squad!
    Yep. Also an endorsement of ultra short distance training for 50s. I did a sh*t ton of bursts this season.
    Fort, it was great hanging out with you this weekend. You're not only a fantastic swimmer but a terrific supporter/coach too!
    Quote Originally Posted by Water Rat
    Fort, it was great hanging out with you this weekend. You're not only a fantastic swimmer but a terrific supporter/coach too!
    Ditto Mark! It was just a fantastic weekend. You swam great as well. I think you're tee'd up perfectly for Italy.
    Congratulations! You certainly kicked ass in the 50 back and fly.

I do see some future 100s with my name on them. Though my times on Friday were solid, I know I underperformed and can go faster
    Do you foresee doing anything differently in training to prepare for racing 100s?
    Quote Originally Posted by knelson;
    Congratulations! You certainly kicked ass in the 50 back and fly.

Do you foresee doing anything differently in training to prepare for racing 100s?
    Thanks!

Nothing too drastic. I believe I did a lot more broken 100s and lactate work this season than I have previously and was physically prepared. (And that showed in the 1:08 NR in SCM that I swam in the 100 back at the Albatross meet in March.) Hence, I think I underperformed in Friday's events due to less than ideal circumstances rather than training deficiencies. However, I think I will add in more straight 100s for time, i.e., more race simulation. But not any aerobic work. I still think training like a track and field athletes is better for sprinters.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    I still think training like a track and field athletes is better for sprinters.
    It would be pretty hard to argue that it's not working!
    Congrats, both on your swims AND on having the self-knowledge and gumption to provide yourself with whatever you need to swim well! That's a lesson all athletes, sprinter or no, can take to heart!
    Here's your 50 fly!
    [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLyWQkEwjVs"]Fort's NR 50 Fly at USMS Nats 2012 - YouTube[/nomedia]
    Nice going!
    Awesome job Fort!!!! Make sure to give your "Next up" thoughts and goals! Then tell us where you think the improvement will be to get there!
    How can you be so tired from a bunch of 50s and 100s?!?!? Just kidding, I think! Way to go, great swims. It was fun watching you swim so fast! Hope to see you soon...and in Omaha!
    I won't be able to do much long course training with an early July date
    GMU pool changes to long course a week from today.
    I also have video. Not sure how many angles you need
    OK, I hate to throw stones at an awesome swim, but I did notice your legs didn't enter cleanly on the dive. It was sort of a "lawn chair" dive. Something to work on to gain you another couple tenths of a second!
    Quote Originally Posted by swimsuit addict
    Congrats, both on your swims AND on having the self-knowledge and gumption to provide yourself with whatever you need to swim well! That's a lesson all athletes, sprinter or no, can take to heart!
    Thank Janet. I have gumption, that's for sure. I'm sure women, especially my age, may understand better than others. I wish I wasn't plagued with insomnia, but there could be many worse things.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast