View RSS Feed

Year Three: The Road Back

Almost More Swimming than Kicking....

Rate this Entry
And so the progress continues.

In the last few days, I've been able to flatten out my left arm for fly a bit (doing one-arm drill) and even do a 25m of full fly (wearing fins). On the freestyle front, I swam a continuous 600 meters two days ago (which is 300 meters longer than my previous continuous swim) and actually was able to descend 6x75 Free today. I'm still not "fast", but am feeling more comfortable in the water and am starting to slowly play with my stroke speed and not have too much fear that my shoulder will blow out again. So.... it's coming, but I'm still trying to be patient and continue with the baby steps (although "bigger" baby steps).

I am also trying to both play around with longer fins (so I can remember what speed feels like) and going without fins (so I build back my endurance and strength). Kind of a tricky balancing act, but I think it's working so far. Again, it's a work in progress.

Odd thing though is that for the first time, I can really feel the underwater catch of my fly. YAY! I guess I didn't know what I was missing, but I'm really looking forward to putting the entire stroke back together and seeing how fast I can go. I'm also getting much better at feeling a strong catch with my freestyle. I guess when you are forced to go slow and pay attention to the little details of how you place your hand, rotate your shoulder, etc., the little things you never took time to figure out before become really evident.

Can you tell that my confidence is going through the roof? I'm not back yet by any means, but I'm no longer wondering "if" I'll get back, but "when" I'll get back. Maybe the end of open water season this year? If not, then definitely for 2013 USMS SCY Nationals - which are being hosted by my team in my backyard! What better motivation could there be?

Anyhoo, here's what we did today:

400 Warm-Up
8 x 50 Drill / Swim w/ fins (rotated through fly, back, breast) on 1:05
12 x 25 Kick Hard on :30
4 x 50 Kick on 1:30 ALL OUT FAST!
1 x 50 Free on 1:00 Easy
Main Set
- 6 x 100 Fly w/ fins on 2:00 1>3,4>6 (fastest was 1:22!)
- 1 x 50 Fly w/o fins on 1:00 Easy
- 6 x 75 Free w/o fins on 1:40, 1>3, 4>6
- 1 x 50 Free w/o fins on 1:00 Easy
- 6 x 50 Kick on 1:00 1>3,4>6
50 Cool-Down
Total Meters - 2850

Enjoy your swims today!

Submit "Almost More Swimming than Kicking...." to Digg Submit "Almost More Swimming than Kicking...." to del.icio.us Submit "Almost More Swimming than Kicking...." to StumbleUpon Submit "Almost More Swimming than Kicking...." to Google

Updated May 3rd, 2012 at 12:53 PM by kgernert

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments