View RSS Feed

Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine

Workout 05/02/12: afternoon

Rate this Entry
200 FR/200 BK/200 IM drill

8 x 150 on 2:00
- 1-4: FR pull with buoy
- 5-8: FR descend (DPS, 100 DPS/50 fast, 50 DPS/100 Fast, 150 Fast)

4 x 75 Indiana IM's on 1:15
4 x 50 Quarters Strong BK on :55
4 x 50 on :50
- 25 FLY burst 4/6/8/sprint
- 25 FR DPS

100 loosen and out
(Solo/Rec/2600yds/45 min)
--------------------------

Got a swim in before lunch today, and felt good in the water after my first go at weightlifting on Monday. I will not being going heavy at all as I start up this crosstraining because I want to avoid as much residual pain as possible.

I'm now shifting into OW training gear, as the 10 mile swim is in 10 weeks, so there is no time for me to keep dilly-dallying. I will be working on longer sets with timed swims, and getting back into the 3-3.5k yardage per workout. I have found that some 25-50's fast stuff is just as important, so I'll be sneaking those things in, too.

On an aside, I am starting to play with feeding for the long swims - I have a huge jug of maltodextrin that I will be experimenting with (190 calories/0.5 cup).

Today's felt good. I came in around 1:51 with the pulls, and was finally able to descend the swim set (1:47,:45,:44,:41). The other swims we good, although I was not very peppy, which is understandable during this time in the training cycle.

I will plan to lift later this evening, and maybe swim after that. My sunny day off has turned into a very grey blah, so I will be mowing the lawn after a motorcycle ride (first of the year). I'll try to get a pic up of that...

Submit "Workout 05/02/12: afternoon" to Digg Submit "Workout 05/02/12: afternoon" to del.icio.us Submit "Workout 05/02/12: afternoon" to StumbleUpon Submit "Workout 05/02/12: afternoon" to Google

Updated May 2nd, 2012 at 09:04 PM by rxleakem

Categories
Swim Workouts , Planning

Comments

I want to avoid as much residual pain as possible.
    I consider this a very bad warning sign.
    Nice swim set! Hope you were able to flush out some lactic acid from lifting.

If you haven't lifted for a while, there will be pain. Well maybe if you lift extremely light you can avoid it, but you'd also avoid most benefit to lifting. Whenever I take off extra days, or even if I add weight or do something unusual, I have pain. I usually lift at night, and the pain hits me the 2nd morning after.
    I know that I will have sore days, I'm just focusing on form at this early point in my lifting career. I'll be adding more weight once I know my technique is correct.