View RSS Feed

Swimming, Life, and Other Stuff!

Same old, same old

Rate this Entry
I didn't post last week due to a combination of being too busy/worn out from work and the fact that all my workouts just seemed like the same thing over and over (boring!) I will keep reading your workouts and get some good ideas to emulate .
Last weeks swimming totalled 15,800 yds/ 2 runs of approximately 45:00 at about 8 min. pace. No strength work (i need to work on that), and some rc shoulder stretching and tube strengthning work. I did a fair amount of jumprope and wall climbing at school with my classes during their warm-ups. (I have 10-13 classes per day).
I guess we (Nasti's) are tapering this week for our state meet. (Sat. and Sunday at Fishers Aquatic Center*a beautiful facility*!) Today I swam about 2,500 of sets with lots of rest, then did some starts off the blocks. I have a couple questions about some silly things......here we go:

1) I have been given a free Blue Seventy speed skin suit. The suit is the knee length type and sleeveless. (I forget its proper name) Someone told me to get a Nero but the rep gave me the one I described above. He said it's the best one for open water. Should I go ahead and wear this one or hold out for the Nero? My favorite events in this meet are the 1650, 1,000, 500, and 200 Free's. The rest of my events are just for the heck of it.
2) How many total yards should I swim this week to get a decent taper/rest. I have been averaging around 15,000 since the first of the year. I probably will not jog this week.
3) What type of warm-up do you do before the 1,650(Sat), and the 1,000(Sun.)? In previous years I have passed on warm-up before the long races to conserve strength for the rest of the meet. I did do easy cool-downs on my back after the swims. I am doing 4 ind. swims and 2 relays per day. Like I mentioned I am focusing on the 2 long swims, everything else I just give whatever I have left.

Any of your advice would be appreciated!
My favorite cool-down after a 2 day meet is with my fellow NASTI'S!!

Submit "Same old, same old" to Digg Submit "Same old, same old" to del.icio.us Submit "Same old, same old" to StumbleUpon Submit "Same old, same old" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

For warmups for the 1650 and 1000, try to get about an easy 1800 in or so. If you get 1500 in at warmup, that will do too.
    Bob, I am not absolutely sure about this, but I am pretty sure that the Nero is the only one still legal for USMS swimming. The one you have now may be a wetsuit. Check for sure. Maybe someone who knows more about this can answer, but as far as I know, the Nero is the only one used in pool competitions.
    With regards to warm up, I would definitely do something--do NOT just jump in and swim. You need to open up the capillaries and arterioles that supply blood to the muscles you use, otherwise your heart will just be slamming blood into closed (or narrowed) pipes.

I don't know if this will work for you, but I usually do a really slow, open turn 600 just to loosen up and get the kinks out of my back and shoulders, etc. I then do 4-8 x 40s where I accelerate to reasonably fast by the end of the 1st 25 and come back easy. Then a little more easy swimming.

Good luck! Do make sure that suit is legal, though. Go to the Blue Seventy web site at: http://www.blueseventy.com/products/detail/nero_comp

The nero is the only one listed for pool swimming. The rest, for OW, have too much neoprene to be legal, I am pretty sure, and are sold more to triathletes for use when the water is cold enough for such suits to be legal.
    "I have been given a free Blue Seventy speed skin suit. The suit is the knee length type and sleeveless. (I forget its proper name) Someone told me to get a Nero but the rep gave me the one I described above. He said it's the best one for open water."

I can't be sure without seeing it, but this sounds like the Nero 10K suit. If so, it is prefectly legal. If it is legal for 10K competitions, it is legal for pool swims.

I have the 10K kneesin suit as well (it was cheaper and available). It is the same as the Nero Comp except the zipper.