Go two times through:
2 x 100 Kick on 2:00
1 x 200 FR pull with buoy on 3:00
2 x 50 FR build on :45

12 x 75 on 1:05
- 8 FR, 2 BK, 2 IM drill

Go two times through:
Noah's Ark on 7:00
- 1st = Paddles (6:12), 2nd = pull Buoy (6:26)
4 x 50 on :45
- odd length = FR DPS
- even length = RIMO FAST

150 loosen and out
(Solo/Rec/3650 yds/65 min)
--------------------------

Felt nice to be back in the water. You might recall I was planning to skip my Friday swim before work last week, and I did. I attempted to work for an hour before calling my boss and telling him I needed to go home sick. In 6 years with the company, this is my second time using a sick day (mostly because it causes a headache to cover, and I can usually make it through the day when I'm ill). A Mountain Dew kept me motivated until he could come in at noon and finish out the day. From there? Stomach issues, no solid foods until Tuesday night, and just feeling crummy. Needless to say no swimming or lifting up until today's dip. What can you do? I watched all of the Harry Potter movies. :wizard:

Good effort today, and I tried to just mix up some longer stuff with some fast efforts sprinkled in. I did not push the first half of the swim too much, but went for the Ark's as best I could. I'll get in a 30 minute swim next week, and build on that weekly as I look towards OW swims.

In 8 weeks is the Kingdom Swim. My expectations for the swim are changing a bit due to my inability to be consistent with training for the past month, and some gaps forthcoming. I am sure that evmo and knicholas will lap me, and I just hope to stay somewhere behind Swimsuit Addict and try to eat any leftovers that she tosses overboard. Is a sub-5 hour swim doable given current circumstances? Perhaps, if I can nail down the feeding aspect. If not, I will be content to finish the challenge and check out a part of my home state that I have never seen before. I rented a log cabin about 20 minutes from the beach, so at least we'll be able to have a relaxing weekend with our buddies (and my Yaker) from Maine.

I might try to sneak back to the Rec tonight (either lift of swim, maybe a little of both). Tomorrow I will be attending the USMS coaches training in Great Barrington, MA, and will be able to swim again on Monday. Looks like a great weekend weatherwise in my neck of the woods, and I'll be able to make the trip tomorrow on my motorcycle.

Submit "Workout 05/11/12:" to Digg Submit "Workout 05/11/12:" to del.icio.us Submit "Workout 05/11/12:" to StumbleUpon Submit "Workout 05/11/12:" to Google

Updated May 11th, 2012 at 04:38 PM by rxleakem

Categories
Swim Workouts , Planning

Comments

Are we 8 weeks out from Kingdom already? Goodness. I'm really looking forward to it--it's an event I've never done before, and a part of Vermont I've never seen as well. And I'll be happy to supply you with a figgy pop for the swim! All I ask is that you hang around once you're done to cheer for me when I finally make it ashore!
    Good to read of your persevering swim training. The Kingdom Swim website is impressive and the event certainly has potential as a possible family vacation destination in the next several years. Best wishes with your USMS coaches training in Great Barrington and please, ride your motorcycle with care and safety.
    Quote Originally Posted by swimsuit addict
    Are we 8 weeks out from Kingdom already? Goodness.
    That's what I'm thinking!

All I ask is that you hang around once you're done to cheer for me when I finally make it ashore!
    That won't be a problem. After the 10k last year, it took about an hour to feel human again! I plan on getting my pom-poms out for everyone!
    Quote Originally Posted by fdtotten
    Good to read of your persevering swim training. The Kingdom Swim website is impressive and the event certainly has potential as a possible family vacation destination in the next several years.
    Thanks! There is a lot in northern Vermont to check out vacation-wise (Ben and Jerry's, Cabot cheese, Rock of Ages, then VT Teddy Bear and everything else in Burlington). According to the website, next year's swim will be the 9+ mile National Championships. We found the rental not too far away that actually sleeps 15, and is able to accommodate us for Friday and Saturday nights (less than half of the price to rent two motel rooms).

ride your motorcycle with care and safety.
    I plan to - I enjoy the ride and don't worry about how long it takes. And, referencing my photo from last week, I plan to actually put some clothes on for the trip.
    Swim goggles do offer excellent crash protection, Mike, so I'm glad to see you put them on whenever you ride - but the jammers are overkill. A brief provides all the protection a man needs against road rash.

But hey - glad you're feeling well again. Have a good trip back to Gt. Barrington. I'll be looking forward to hearing what you pick up at the training.
    Thanks, Greg. Should be a good class, for me personally and more importantly for our community. There are lots of details that I hope to learn and then share with everyone.