View RSS Feed

Chowmi's Blog

Signs of life..er speed in water!

Rate this Entry
Well, I must say, I am quite pleased with that indirect benefit from P90X'ing. The first several weeks I made myself do it (Bring it!) and when I went to sleep, it was more like passing out immediately upon pillow contact. Now I have the usual anxiety and several trips to the potty before finally sleeping, so my endurance must be up, since yes, I am writing it down and setting my goals and making the last 3 burn, etc etc....and I am happy to report that I can now do the entire plyoX without my minitramp!

Anyway, my swimming feels more zippy again.

Sat/Sun - off. One day I took the girls free swimming and just splashed around.

Mon - main set was 2 moving interval sets of 50 frees. The 1st was like this:

2 x 50 on :55 commentary: easy
2 x 50 on :45 keep it easy; don't panic here
2 x 50 on :50 easy
2 x 50 on :40 strong but easy as possible
2 x 50 on :45 this is harder than it seems after the :40's
2 x 50 on :35 blasto. yes, I made 'em!!

"Subtract 10, add 5"

the next set was:

1 x 50 on :55
2 x 50 on :45
3 x 50 on :50
4 x 50 on :40
5 x 50 on :45
break
6 x 50 challenge interval, 35 no one did this interval.
I suggest to my lanemate to do 4 x 50 on :37.5, so you are really keeping an eye for #2 at the 1:15 and to bring it home on #3 and #4 and be ahead of the 2:30. I made it at the :29 mark on #4, right under my total elapsed 2:30! I was glad to modify, 'cause I knew i'd give up at #3 had we tried for 6.

Tuesday: Stroke day
The main sprinty bits were
8 x 50 on 1:10
1st 25 blast stroke/2nd 25 easy
I went strong through the turn and 1st stroke. That was sort of fun.

Wednesday: Here is where I could really tell my conditioning improvement. I rarely have it in me to go 3 hard days in a row. Last set, 4 x 100's

100 straight 1:30
50/50 :50 base
4 x 25's :30 base
bonus 20 seconds
100 all out 1:07 very flat. that was very good and I felt pretty strong. I would like to be under 1:05 on a challenge like that, but I can see where I just didn't have the umph from the start. But much more umph than lately!!

Total bummer I lost my goggles. Either someone else picked them up, or I truly didn't see them the last practice and didn't put them in my bag. I couldn't help having that stupid look on my face, like, where are my goggles? I lost my goggles! Did someone pick up my goggles? Who was I swimming with yesterday? And then poking around in my empty bag, and even looking in my fin-pockets to see if they would magically appear. I borrowed Jim Montgomery's goggles for warm up but then I just went without goggles the rest of workout. I don't think it really affected my speed, even though my eyes were really burning and blurry by the end of workout.

I think I may have a solid effort in me for next week's 50 free. But I am constantly thwarted with my docket days - the days I am completely full has always been on days before a swim meet! Oh well, I can't complain since it's nice to have a good job.

I set up my Bowflex Power Tower! Talk about humbling. It is so hard to do chin ups from a completely dead position with knees tucked. I really need that swinging action and breakstroking wildly to get myself up. So it's a good thing the dip bar moves so I use it as an assist.

Submit "Signs of life..er speed in water!" to Digg Submit "Signs of life..er speed in water!" to del.icio.us Submit "Signs of life..er speed in water!" to StumbleUpon Submit "Signs of life..er speed in water!" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments