View RSS Feed

Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!

Sunday, June 3, 2012 USAS Day 3 Results

Rate this Entry
I was one tired guy this morning when I woke up. I didn't get to sleep till almost midnight last night, since it is kind of hard to sleep after revving your swimming engines at almost 10:00pm in the final race!
I was able to sleep in till 9:30am today, but I was just exhausted and sat around like a zombie for the most part.
I finally headed over to the pool around 2:30 in the afternoon.

My first race was at 3:15pm, the 100 Fly. I did get into the deep tank for a short warmup prior, and mainly to shake out the cobwebs from last night. From the looks of the other kids, everyone was having a long weekend as well. Most of the kids were sunburned redder than they should be...but most of them are from Seattle, and this is the only time of the year they're exposed to sunlight, so it's kinda expected.

100 Fly - 1:06.54 - New LMSC record
30.1/36.2
About a second slower than a year ago.
About the 80 meter point, I just died. I was feeling great, doing well and hanging right with the leaders...then the extended weekend hit me like a ton of bricks. I ended up in 4th place, so I think a lot of the other kids had bricks and pianos falling as well.

200 IM - 2:33.78 - New LMSC record
30.6/41.8/47.3/33.9
Fly felt good, then...blah in the middle. I thought I was going to beat the kid next to me in the freestyle leg, but about halfway back the kid shifted into some gear that I didn't have available to me. Dang them 16 year old kids!

Had my cheeseburger from the grill at this point...and for 1/2 price since they were trying to close it down for the night.

This started the evening session, of which most of the Seattle teams didn't sign their kids up for, so it was basically the eastern Washington teams, a few stragglers from Seattle, and ME. Heats were getting combined left and right, so it went bang bang bang and done.

200 Back - 2:44.50 - Sad to say that this is an LMSC record
Splits are not necessary. The coaches didn't even bother taking them for me on this race, which I didn't mind at all. It was about 7 seconds slower than last year.

I got in the deep tank for a quick 5 minute cool down, then had about 5 minutes to rest and get ready for:

200 Free - 2:14.64 - New LMSC Record
30.8/34.7/34.9/33.9 1st Place!! 2 seconds off from my last year's time.
I was happy with this one. It was all eastern Washington boys, one from Seattle, and me in this one. I let one boy take off in the lane next to me, but I knew that he didn't really have the endurance to hang on to the speed. In the 3rd 50 I went right by him, but I was still concerned about a couple others on my non-breathing side. As I came off the final turn I could see that I was far ahead of the whole group on the other side. This just fueled me on to keep going faster! I powered home as best I could, and hit the wall...celebrating like I just won the Olympics or something. The announcer was even giving a congratulations to the "old guy" for beating all the kids in the final race of the day.

==============================

Overall, I'm pleased with my weekend. I had a lot of swimming, a little training, and work all packed into these three days. I knew this was probably going to be one of my only chances to race in LCM this summer, so I gave it all I could. Yeah, I could probably be faster in some events, but you've got take what you can get.
Good luck to all the headhunters out there...my times will be posted soon in the times database to take down.

I am signed up for a masters meet next Saturday in Spokane, WA, and as for now the meet is still on. I emailed the organizer of the meet to confirm everything, and I hope it'll go forward.
If so, I'll be swimming the 50 & 100 Free, 50 & 100 Back, and the 200 Fly.

Submit "Sunday, June 3, 2012 USAS Day 3 Results" to Digg Submit "Sunday, June 3, 2012 USAS Day 3 Results" to del.icio.us Submit "Sunday, June 3, 2012 USAS Day 3 Results" to StumbleUpon Submit "Sunday, June 3, 2012 USAS Day 3 Results" to Google

Comments

Good swims! You must have been exhausted for today's session.

I'm glad to hear that the Spokane meet is on!
    Quote Originally Posted by That Guy
    Good swims! You must have been exhausted for today's session.

I'm glad to hear that the Spokane meet is on!
    Yup, I'm tired. I'm just glad that I'm doing 10 hour days at work, so I WON'T be able to swim with the masters group tomorrow morning. Normally I'd be there.

As for the Spokane meet...Pack your bag, but don't fill your gas tank just yet. I'll let people know on www.inlandnwmasters.org if it's cancelled as soon as I can.
    You give new meaning to the phrase "endurance athlete!" Congrats on your swims! I bet those kids and their parents get a kick out of seeing that "old guy's" enthusiasm and joy as you power through your packed racing schedule.
    Nice job! That is not very "200 fly" like to die at the 80 meter mark of a very very short 100 LCM fly.
    Most of the kids were sunburned redder than they should be...but most of them are from Seattle, and this is the only time of the year they're exposed to sunlight, so it's kinda expected.
    Hey, I'm rocking a beautiful farmer's tan from these Seattle sunbreaks, thank you very much!
    Are tattoos a good alternative for sunscreen? Did you hear, "Who lets their child get all those tattoos?"
    Quote Originally Posted by swimsuit addict
    You give new meaning to the phrase "endurance athlete!" Congrats on your swims! I bet those kids and their parents get a kick out of seeing that "old guy's" enthusiasm and joy as you power through your packed racing schedule.
    Thanks! I did get quite a few compliments and such from various parents around the deck throughout the weekend. By the midpoint of Sunday it seemed to be happening every 5 minutes when I was walking around the deck. My reply for the most part was "Thank you, and I'm just having fun doing it."
    Quote Originally Posted by tjrpatt
    Nice job! That is not very "200 fly" like to die at the 80 meter mark of a very very short 100 LCM fly.
    It may not be 200 Flyish to die like that, but I was going after it. The way the kids were swimming I knew I had a potential shot at winning the event, so I had to go 100% from the get-go. I guess my body isn't 17 years old anymore...
    Quote Originally Posted by knelson
    Hey, I'm rocking a beautiful farmer's tan from these Seattle sunbreaks, thank you very much!
    I'm sure some kids are screaming today as their friends smack them on the back during school today.
    Are tattoos a good alternative for sunscreen? Did you hear, "Who lets their child get all those tattoos?"
    I've heard that at other USAS meets. Other parents have told me they overheard others saying "Who let's their kid get all tattooed like that so young??"
    Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1
    It may not be 200 Flyish to die like that, but I was going after it. The way the kids were swimming I knew I had a potential shot at winning the event, so I had to go 100% from the get-go. I guess my body isn't 17 years old anymore...
    Yeah, those little wipper snappers are shot out of a cannon even in the 400 IM and 800 free. They do that in the 200 fly and then, 3 pianos drop on them at once. There is nothing wrong going after it when you think that you have the energy to do so.
    Yeah, those little wipper snappers are shot out of a cannon even in the 400 IM and 800 free. They do that in the 200 fly and then, 3 pianos drop on them at once. There is nothing wrong going after it when you think that you have the energy to do so.
    I thought I had it...I just needed another turn at the 75 and I would've had it.