View RSS Feed

TJ's Blog of Slow Swimming!

3-25-2009 Fast Aerobic Fly/Breast

Rate this Entry
11:00 AM to Noon at the Downtown YMCA (SCM), coached by the coolest coach (and toughest) ever, Elisa! Oh yeah, it's also our puppy's first birthday. Not the boxer of my avatar, but the cute little yellow lab that used to be my avatar until Geek made me change it!

Warmup:
200 - alternate one arm fly and free
150 drill - right arm fly/left arm fly/two strokes breast - breathe only on the one arm fly strokes
50 back kick

Main Set:
3x175 free descend on 3:30 - 3:08, 3:04, 2:58
4x50 fast fly on 1:10 - I tried, but ended up doing one arm fly for this whole set.
3x150 free descend on 3:00 - 2:35, 2:30, 2:19
4x50 fast breast on 1:10 - I went :55 or so for three of these. I very nearly got sick on #3, so I stopped and swam easy free back to the wall.
3x125 free descend on 2:30 - 2:15, 2:05, 1:57

Warmdown:
100 alternate ez free and one arm fly

2250 meters

Notes: Fly is a little discouraging to me. I feel like it's just a matter of timing. I am pretty certain that I'm strong enough to swim the stroke, but I struggle to get my arms out of the water. I'll keep working on it.
This workout seemed innocent enough, but the intervals were longer than we're used to. We typically see 125s as the longest interval, so the 175s and 150s were quite painful. The fact that I had to skip a breast stroke interval made me a little sheepish since I am that guy who always gives others a hard time about slacking off!

Submit "3-25-2009 Fast Aerobic Fly/Breast" to Digg Submit "3-25-2009 Fast Aerobic Fly/Breast" to del.icio.us Submit "3-25-2009 Fast Aerobic Fly/Breast" to StumbleUpon Submit "3-25-2009 Fast Aerobic Fly/Breast" to Google

Updated March 25th, 2009 at 02:33 PM by Iwannafly

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

You need a lot of flexibility in the back and shoulder girdle to do fly. Maybe this is what is holding you back?
    Both of my coaches (my wife might be a little biased) have looked at my flexibility. And while it could be better, it isn't bad enough that it should hinder my fly. I can float and move my arms around just fine. I believe that the timing for my second kick is off and that I kick early enough that I don't get the additional push to finish my stroke. When I swam the 200 IM at the sprint meet, the fly leg felt wonderful (it was relaxed, long, and not overly tiring). Now, to move past the excuses, I am also working on shoulder flexibility since mine could definitely be better. I'll keep plugging away at it.

On a side note, Friday will be fr/bk and I find myself excited about a backstroke workout!:-)