View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Friday, June 8

Rate this Entry
Swim/LCM w/ Julie & Susan:

Made it out to Rockville for a LCM swim. Because it's been sunny & 70 here, the water was an inviting 78 degrees. So nice!

Warm up:

600 various

5 x 100
-- 25 UW on the first length
-- some drilling and 200ish pace work

Speed Sets:

-- Even distance swimmer Julie did some AFAP efforts here!

8 x 50 @ ample rest to chat with Susan
1-4 = burst to approx 20 m + cruise
5 = back @ 100 pace
6 = EZ
7 = back @ 100 pace
8 = EZ

100 EZ

1 x AFAP 100 back w/fins
-- went 1:04
-- Julie said I was "all over the place," which I was and which is why competing outside is silly for backstrokers.
-- I'm also veering off to the left somewhat, I think, because of my injured/weaker left shoulder. I noticed this on my 50 (er, 52 yard) back vid from Nats

150 EZ

1 x AFAP 50 fly w/fins
-- went 27
-- two timers both got :27

100 EZ

Total: 2000

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I really wanted to do another AFAP 50, but I had to run off to an event at Lil Fort's school. Still, I was pleased with those two timed efforts. The 100 back felt really solid. I didn't feel like I was dying and didn't loaf the first 50. I want to do a couple more of these next week since I'll be swimming the 100 back at Nats (as a split in the 200). Current WR/NR is 1:13.55. That could be tough. Susan estimates 5 seconds from SCM to LCM. And the tech suit ban seems to effect me much more in LCM than short course.

I would like to get in a swim this weekend. Hope the lanes won't be overwhelmed with noodlers and lap swimmers.

I'm getting very excited about all the swimming coming up -- Worlds, OTs, Masters Nats, Olympics.

Submit "Friday, June 8" to Digg Submit "Friday, June 8" to del.icio.us Submit "Friday, June 8" to StumbleUpon Submit "Friday, June 8" to Google

Updated June 8th, 2012 at 06:51 PM by The Fortress

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Just wanted to say that the hardest adjustment for me to swim in SWF (Fort Myers, FL) outdoors daily... was doing backstroke with the blinding sun in my face!! I usually end up swimming near to the lane line to guide me straight and not zig-zag. Somehow the locals get it done, there have been a lot of world class backstroke swimmers born and raised in Florida. I knew Dan Veatch and he always looked back at his feet.
    I think it could even be 3-4 seconds. This lcm training should help our 100 immensely!
    I wish I could see you swim an actual 200!
    Quote Originally Posted by fdtotten
    Just wanted to say that the hardest adjustment for me to swim in SWF (Fort Myers, FL) outdoors daily... was doing backstroke with the blinding sun in my face!! I usually end up swimming near to the lane line to guide me straight and not zig-zag. Somehow the locals get it done, there have been a lot of world class backstroke swimmers born and raised in Florida. I knew Dan Veatch and he always looked back at his feet.
    Thanks for the vid! I had forgotten that 1984 was outside. It's amazing how different backstroke is now. Carey had an extremely fast turnover for a 200.

I think Omaha will be tough enough for me with the ceiling so high.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suna Fish
    I think it could even be 3-4 seconds. This lcm training should help our 100 immensely!
    Next week, I'll be there on Mon and Friday. I can't make Tuesday -- more PRP for the shoulder.

Out of curiosity, I looked up my LCM 100 back times. In 2008, my LCM and SCM backstroke times were less than 2 seconds apart. I wasn't underwater very much in SCM back then and I trained more long course. In 2009, with more SDKs, they were 5 seconds apart. But that year I had a major cramp on the start which wrecked my LCM 100 back. So no real conclusions to draw from the data. I haven't really trained long course since then.
    Updated June 9th, 2012 at 11:08 AM by The Fortress
    Quote Originally Posted by Water Rat
    I wish I could see you swim an actual 200!
    I swam the 200 SCY back and the 200 LCM back in 2009 with my B70. #7 and #8 TTs that year. Now with only HIT training, no long course training and no tech suit, it just feels way too far.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    I haven't really trained long course since then.
    You don't have to train long course to perform well in long course. Have confidence!
    Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1
    You don't have to train long course to perform well in long course. Have confidence!
    I know that is the prevailing wisdom. However, I have never agreed with that wrt my swimming.

Everyone is different. But, for me, with my kick dominant style, I think some long course training is essential to do well in long course. When I have trained some long course in the past (maybe 2x a week), it took my body a couple weeks to adjust even to that. 50s aren't too bad of course. But even last year I died on my 50 free and 50 fly.