View RSS Feed

Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!

Saturday, June 9, 2012 Spokane LCM Meet Results

Rate this Entry
This was most definitely the smallest and coldest masters meet I've been to yet. We got confirmation earlier in the week that the meet would go on with the small numbers (it was cancelled last year).

We had 27 entries to start, and 5 deck entries bringing us up to 32 for the meet. It seemed like the numbers were actually smaller than that, as they were combining heats together anyway from missing people. On top of that the temperature was in the very very low 50s, and it was windy, and it was a pretty significant rainfall as well. All these things don't usually add up to a good swim meet, but we sure did pretty good.

I met up with That Guy for a little carpooling fun for a majority of both of our trips. I figured since we'd both be covering 2/3 of our trips on the same freeway, why not? When I called him to see where he was, he ended up being about 2 miles behind me on the road (in comparison to the pool that's almost the same spot as in the 800 Free event) We had a good time for the day. Got in a little pool measuring exercise before the meet, since this was the first time a masters meet has been held at this particular pool. The numbers on the tape measure were in our favor, so we let the meet go on (for Top Ten/record purposes).

I'd say that 75% of the folks just stayed in the pool's warmup lanes for the duration of the meet, with the exception of getting behind the blocks for the races. With such a small meet, the starter would just read off the following heat's lane assignments on a first name basis and everyone meandered their way over to the lanes, hopped up and away we went. It was good fun.

The results...everything was hand timed, no electronic timing. All worked out good, just no splits to report.

100 Back - 1:14.59 - New LMSC Record
I was happy with this one. It's a masters best time as well.

200 Fly - 3:30.40 - yes that is correct, no typo.
The referee asked if they could combine me into the 200 Breaststroke heat since I was the only 200 Flyer in the meet. Normally I would've had the 200 Breast heat as rest. I didn't care. I knew it would put me up immediately after the backstroke...the ref said I could have time (like a UFC fighter who took a low blow), but I said I was fine. Let's do this.
Ended up doing a 100 Fly in 1:09ish or so (that's how it felt), then took a master's minute, did another 50, then waited for the top breaststroker to pass me at the 150 point. I let him go past the 15 Meter mark on the final length, and then I pushed off in an attempt to beat him. It was close, but outstroked him at the end. Phew!!
At least I put up a decent time already last weekend.

50 Back - 34.00 - New LMSC Record, and masters best time!
Some Guy, I think his first name was That, kicked my butt hardcore in this race, but I didn't see anything except clouds for the whole race.

50 Free - 27.11 - New LMSC Record, and masters best time!
I actually did think about shortening up my stroke and spinning my wheels for this. My kick was intense as well. And I extended the SDK portion of the race as well. Win win win all around! This time was fast enough for the previous record in my previous age group as well. Isn't it amazing how you get the time after you're no longer eligble for a certain record?

100 Free - 59.50 - New LMSC Record, and I BROKE A MINUTE LCM!!!
This wasn't too long after the 50 Free, so I knew I had my sprinting mojo going good, just depended on the distance guy in me to keep me strong for the duration of the race. It actually felt really good, and I felt that I could've gone even faster. I'm sure the full beard could've come off for another 3 seconds at least!

As for 4 of those races (the short ones), this will probably be the last time I swim them LCM until I'm 40 years old, unless I all of a sudden have a sprinting breakthru happen!

Relay Fun:

Just for fun, That Guy and I paired up for a couple exhibition relays with the other 1 or 2 relay teams in the last two races.
The first was a 200 Medley Relay. That Guy was volunteered BY ME, to do the first half since it had backstroke in it. I then did the Fly/Free portion of the relay.
Then, the following heat was the 200 Free Relay. I went first, and did a 100 Free semi-easy as my meet cooldown. That Guy...strangely enough, did his 100 of the relay as Fly. Crazy That Guy, but I'll give him for the effort.

Submit "Saturday, June 9, 2012 Spokane LCM Meet Results" to Digg Submit "Saturday, June 9, 2012 Spokane LCM Meet Results" to del.icio.us Submit "Saturday, June 9, 2012 Spokane LCM Meet Results" to StumbleUpon Submit "Saturday, June 9, 2012 Spokane LCM Meet Results" to Google

Comments

Hey James, maybe no one has ever mentioned this, but you're supposed to do split swims only in practice, not at meets!

The 50 and 100 free were very nice swims. Nice job!
    Quote Originally Posted by knelson
    Hey James, maybe no one has ever mentioned this, but you're supposed to do split swims only in practice, not at meets!

If it makes you feel better, he had to contend with me yelling random stuff at him at the 150. "think of the children! You're all winners! Et cetera!"
    Quote Originally Posted by knelson

Thanks Kirk. (and what about the backstrokes???) They were 100% effort of course!

It just wasn't a day to be doing a 200 Fly. I'm still trying to figure out who signed me up for that one as well. Grrrr....
    Updated June 10th, 2012 at 03:12 PM by jaadams1
    Quote Originally Posted by That Guy
    If it makes you feel better, he had to contend with me yelling random stuff at him at the 150. "think of the children! You're all winners! Et cetera!"
    I honestly was confused just by seeing someone at the end of the lane. All the swimmers were supposed to be huddled together in the warmdown lanes to keep warm. It was strickly forbidden to be on the pool deck for any reason at the meet yesterday!
    Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1
    I honestly was confused just by seeing someone at the end of the lane. All the swimmers were supposed to be huddled together in the warmdown lanes to keep warm. It was strickly forbidden to be on the pool deck for any reason at the meet yesterday!
    Those USAS results can't come quickly enough... http://www.usms.org/comp/meets/event...100&CourseID=2
    Quote Originally Posted by That Guy
    Those USAS results can't come quickly enough... http://www.usms.org/comp/meets/event...100&CourseID=2
    Yeah yeah...As soon as they hit my inbox I'll get this one updated for sure