View RSS Feed

Chowmi's Blog

End of LCM season

Rate this Entry
by , June 11th, 2012 at 11:27 AM (1029 Views)
Well, here's how I did:

That was pretty sucky, but boy did it hurt! Plus, quite painful without a turn! Nowhere to hide in LCM!

So this "season"
28.84 yesterday
28.6 in april
28.5 in jan

Last year:
28.2-28.7

2 Years before:
27.7-28.4

I attribute my slowingdownedness to:
1. Focus on P90x instead of swimming;
2. Lack of swimming consistency, specificity
3. Lack of LCM conditioning

The question is, what am I going to do about it?

To address #1:
From now to Dec, transition focus back to swimming, with P90X workouts and other dryland exercises worked around my swimming. Actually, I have 2 weeks left of my "90 day" cycle, so I will finish those, take pix, and that actually co-incides with leaving to watch Olympic Trials, so it will be a natural and convenient break!

To address: #2:
See #1. Plus, who really cares about LCM anyway. Outdoor swimming has never been my favorite. One less bug down my suit.

To address #3:
See #2. On the cost/benefit continuum, it is just not worth going to LCM workouts unless there are dedicated sprint/distance lanes. DAMM stopped Sunday AM year round sprint, and that is a very likely cause of results this year - so I simply stopped going. In past years, I went most Sundays year round, and then one summer dedicated 1 weeknight on sprint nights in the summer. That made a huge difference and multi sub-28 times. Without that critical specific training, it is like a different sport once reaching the 25 meter mark.....

+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Next up:
Just maintain swimming the next 2 weeks, do my P90X, crunch time to drop last 2 lbs, and then Great Wolf Lodge, then to Trials. I will modify workouts for sprint/sprint conditioning/specific drills. I'd like to start my SCM/SCY season ready to go sub :30's in workout from a push. That is a very aggressive goal, since i've never done that. But with last weeks 33 33 31 31 31 31 30, it is entirely possible, but I have to actually try pretty hard! That element I am willing to go out on the cost/benefit continuum.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
I saw Prometheus yesterday. Unfortunately for the likes of Ridley Scott, you can never one-up the original Alien. It's like M. Knight Shalaman never being able to one-up The Sixth Sense. It was one of those defining movies in history of how to make a sci fi horror movie and the forumla has worked countless times. (Crew goes out somewhere looking for something/accidentally gets sent somewhere/lost. Cryosleep is a must. Wake up from cyrosleep and weaker characters puke; stronger ones immediately start pull ups, push ups, etc. Next stop: Mess hall. Food is always bad and made fun of. Further character introduction and very quickly size up who's who. Get to planet/destination and immediately begin touching, tasting, smelling, and bringing back stuff that leads to the demise of nearly every crew member, one by one.

Ahhh, I never get tired of these movies. It's like the Halloween/Friday the 13 of horror movies.

It's like Avatar. Gotta see it for just seeing it on the big screen, but you have to carefully power down your mind to about operating life sustaining activities only. (And to conduct peristalsis for the popcorn, slurpee, and raisinettes/milk duds/sour patch kids, plus the repetitive arm motion to get the food up there.

Think (or rather, don't think too hard) of it like how George Lucas finally says that the technology is now available to do what he couldn't do in the original Star Wars, and then makes a totally pictureque and visually stunning Star Wars episode I, puts in not-too bad acting, but a profoundly deficient script and story line. One thanks goodness the tech wasn't available back then, or else maybe he would have written out "Luke, I am your father!"

But, it is still worth seeing. I amazed my girls and chowsh with my knowlege of the entire Aliens series. You just have to go in knowing it's never going to be up there with the original in terms of originality, but it is still worth seeing. You also have to poke fun at all the ways they break the rules of what NOT to do in a scary sci fi adventure. I wish there were more Commando type scripts and storylines. Where you can really root for the characters because they aren't so cliched stupid.

I can't wait for the sequel!!

Submit "End of LCM season" to Digg Submit "End of LCM season" to del.icio.us Submit "End of LCM season" to StumbleUpon Submit "End of LCM season" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Interesting to read about your 50m free times. Heck, I'd be thrilled to break :30. I've never done P90X, but I do lift sometimes. I notice that when I'm fatigued from lifting, my swimming suffers.
    And reading about your (and other) swim options makes me feel even more fortunate to swim with such great coaches in fantastic pools here. And I love swimming outside--let the bugs have at it

I saw Prometheus in London last week. It just so happened we were there and they released it a week earlier over there. Anyway, I mostly agree...it was good, explained some of the Alien stuff, but left me with even more questions. And it definitely seemed to setup for sequels.
    On my trip back, I watched both Alien and Aliens again, and having now seen Prometheus they make a little more sense. Actually, there's a special director's cut to Aliens that has extra footage, which explains things much better (for both that movie and connects better to Alien too).
    So, if I've never seen Alien, should I even bother seeing Prometheus?

RE: 50 free times, you might be right ... or you might be reading too much into it. Natch, I'm not a sprinter, but my 50 times are always a complete surprise to me (e.g., I did my best non-tech-suit 50 as a throwaway event to warmup for some "real" events at an untapered and unshaved USAS meet in January '11).
    So, if I've never seen Alien
    ...you are missing out one one of the most edge-of-the-seat movie experiences of all time. See it on a big screen if at all possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    Interesting to read about your 50m free times. Heck, I'd be thrilled to break :30. I've never done P90X, but I do lift sometimes. I notice that when I'm fatigued from lifting, my swimming suffers.
    And reading about your (and other) swim options makes me feel even more fortunate to swim with such great coaches in fantastic pools here. And I love swimming outside--let the bugs have at it

I saw Prometheus in London last week. It just so happened we were there and they released it a week earlier over there. Anyway, I mostly agree...it was good, explained some of the Alien stuff, but left me with even more questions. And it definitely seemed to setup for sequels.
    On my trip back, I watched both Alien and Aliens again, and having now seen Prometheus they make a little more sense. Actually, there's a special director's cut to Aliens that has extra footage, which explains things much better (for both that movie and connects better to Alien too).
    Awesome! I would love to see a big summer movie in another country - mainly to pork out on whatever junk food they sell!
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb

RE: 50 free times, you might be right ... or you might be reading too much into it. Natch, I'm not a sprinter, but my 50 times are always a complete surprise to me (e.g., I did my best non-tech-suit 50 as a throwaway event to warmup for some "real" events at an untapered and unshaved USAS meet in January '11).
    Of course you should see it! They are always showing Alien on the movie channels now, along with everything in the Predator series. Alien vs. Predator, now that was a great movie, too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl_S
    ...you are missing out one one of the most edge-of-the-seat movie experiences of all time. See it on a big screen if at all possible.

...and don't forget your extra large popcorn with hot butter flavored topping. not to be confused with actual butter; notice butter is an adjective. The noun is topping.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    Too funny that Guy! And the other major infraction - stealing from a TV show - didn't we see the goop stuff in X Files???!!!!! Geez!