View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

"Airplane Shoes," Thursday, March 26

Rate this Entry
Walked into the pool with my MF today. The MF seems to be a kid magnet.

Had the following conversation with a few kids:

Kid: Are those "airplane shoes"? What are you doing with airplane shoes?

Me: No, they're shoes you use in the water.

Kid: Why would someone wear shoes in the water?

Me: Well, these shoes have a fin attached to help you swim faster and more like a dolphin.

Kid: You want to be a dolphin? I thought you were a human.

Me: People swim faster when they swim like dolphins.

Kid: Why?

Me: Dolphins move efficiently through the water. It's good to swim butterfly that way.

Kid: I thought you wanted to be a dolphin, not a butterfly.

Me: OK, gotta go swim with my airplane shoes now.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

700 variety warm up

Aerobic sets:

10 x 50 backstroke w/nose clip @ 1:00

12/10 SDks per 25
(Was using the basic Speedo nose clip. Felt like it was going to fall off all the time. I like the silicon ones better.)

10 x 50 @ 1:00

1st 25: fly @ 100 pace
2nd 25: easy

50 EZ

Speed Sets:

5 x (50 AFAP dolphin kick on back w/MF + 50 EZ) @ 2:30

Went: 23, 22, 22.5, 22, 22.5-23

Seems a bit faster with the nose clip, as I can stay under slightly longer. Have to slow down a touch and stop a couple inches before the wall at the finish. I'm traveling so fast, I'm worried I'll jam my fingers on the wall otherwise.

100 EZ

8 x (25 AFAP + 25 easy)

odds: 4 AFAP free, 4 AFAP backstroke kick (alternated them)
evens: easy

200 C/D

Total: 3000

Had planned to do a 500 fartlek dolphin kick, but ran out of time. May do that tomorrow.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Weight questions:

1. Are lat pulldowns duplicative of pull ups? Do you need to do both?

2. Does it really matter whether you're using a wide or narrow grip on pull ups and chin ups? I guess the wide grip works the lats more?

3. The rack pulls Jazz was doing the other day are very similar to deadlifts. Do they hit the upper back more? Is it a good thing to do both exercises or alternate them?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm pretty sore and tired from the weights and swim workouts. Really really glad I didn't opt to swim the 50 free at Sectionals this weekend. I'll be content to watch evilstroke.

Submit ""Airplane Shoes," Thursday, March 26" to Digg Submit ""Airplane Shoes," Thursday, March 26" to del.icio.us Submit ""Airplane Shoes," Thursday, March 26" to StumbleUpon Submit ""Airplane Shoes," Thursday, March 26" to Google

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

1. They are pretty similar, but there's less stabilization involved in pulldowns, which makes them less challenging/effective.

2. Wide grip can be rough on the shoulders for some people. I wouldn't say the lats get more work that way, either. My lats have never suffered, and I almost always go shoulder width. The deltoids get less work with a wide grip, though. In conclusion: close grips (shoulder width) rule, wider grips are ok for variety if they don't hurt your shoulders.

3. Another name for rack pulls is rack deadlifts, so yeah. It's just a partial deadlift. More weight, more upper body stress. I still think they're great for the hamstrings and glutes. Switch them up as you please. I do them sometimes just because it's easier to set up for deadlifts in a rack than on the floor, if you've got four plates on each side. Also, rack pull technique is less technical. You don't have to worry about shin scraping. It's more of a pure strength move.
    Went: 23, 22, 22.5, 22, 22.5-23

!
    !!
    Leslie, that dialogue between you and the kid was absolutely hysterical! If monofins weren't such rarefied bits of training equipage, I would suggest you mail it in to Reader's Digest!

Thanks for an excellent bit of amusement! I thought you wanted to be a dolphin, not a butterfly! How perfectly that captures the wonderful sweetness or a 1st grader, or the maddening obnoxiousness of a 7th grader. Not sure which age your kid was, but I am betting the latter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazz Hands
    1. They are pretty similar, but there's less stabilization involved in pulldowns, which makes them less challenging/effective.

2. Wide grip can be rough on the shoulders for some people. I wouldn't say the lats get more work that way, either. My lats have never suffered, and I almost always go shoulder width. The deltoids get less work with a wide grip, though. In conclusion: close grips (shoulder width) rule, wider grips are ok for variety if they don't hurt your shoulders.

3. Another name for rack pulls is rack deadlifts, so yeah. It's just a partial deadlift. More weight, more upper body stress. I still think they're great for the hamstrings and glutes. Switch them up as you please. I do them sometimes just because it's easier to set up for deadlifts in a rack than on the floor, if you've got four plates on each side. Also, rack pull technique is less technical. You don't have to worry about shin scraping. It's more of a pure strength move.
    Thanks, Jazz. I may not bother with lat pulldowns then. I've been doing narrow grip, and I guess I'll stick with that too.

Well, maybe I'll try a rack pull sometime then just for a change of pace. Should you be bending your knees on these?
    Quote Originally Posted by jim thornton
    Leslie, that dialogue between you and the kid was absolutely hysterical! If monofins weren't such rarefied bits of training equipage, I would suggest you mail it in to Reader's Digest!

Thanks for an excellent bit of amusement! I thought you wanted to be a dolphin, not a butterfly! How perfectly that captures the wonderful sweetness or a 1st grader, or the maddening obnoxiousness of a 7th grader. Not sure which age your kid was, but I am betting the latter.
    It was pretty hysterical. I think they were kindergarten age or so. I do get a little nervous when they try to touch or grab the MF though. I heard another story about stitches from MF slicing the other day. And I don't think my own toe has ever been the same since I dropped the MF on it and bled all over the pool deck ...
    Quote Originally Posted by quicksilver

!
    !!
    They were my fastest 50s yet. I think the nose clip helped a bit. Or I could just be getting more efficient. Or it could be the weights. I can never figure out causation. But I was NOT wearing a B70, so it's not that!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Thanks, Jazz. I may not bother with lat pulldowns then. I've been doing narrow grip, and I guess I'll stick with that too.

Well, maybe I'll try a rack pull sometime then just for a change of pace. Should you be bending your knees on these?
    Yep, there's a little knee bend. Set up for it by pushing your butt back.

Remember, since rack pulls are partial deadlifts, they should be easier to do at the same weight. I'll bet you can safely rack pull some big numbers compared to what you're used to.
    Quote Originally Posted by quicksilver
    !!!
    I concur! Maybe you are wearing airplane shoes - you are flying!!
    Hi Fort! I loved your KID-talk posting. Kids say the craziest things!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobinator
    Hi Fort! I loved your KID-talk posting. Kids say the craziest things!
    Ditto. Good thing you got into the pool or you were headed to a serious "who's on first" sequence with the kid.
    Thanks guys. It was pretty hilarious. That same day, an older lap swimmer asked me if it was "homemade" it looked so weird ... lol
    Yesterday, I took my 6-yo twins and MF to the pool. I was astonished at how FAST they figured out how to use the MF. Others stopped and stared in disbelief. I think this routine is going to be fun for all of us!
    I'm amazed the MF fit them! Hope they had fun.