View RSS Feed

Vlog the Inhaler, or The Occasional Video Blog Musings of Jim Thornton

Experiment in Pain

Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
The incredibly kind Anna Lea Matysek sent me this yesterday in response to my Facebook status, which read:

After suffering a tear-inducing back spasm yesterday morning--four days before the Spire Institute swimming meet--and still suffering greatly from sciatica, pelvic girdle nerve pains, and agony in the lumbar regions--I have decided to try an experiment: I am not babying myself. I am Marquis de Sade-ing myself instead in the hopes this counterintuitive fix will allow me to swim this weekend. In the meantime, if any of my Facebook friends are secret heroin addicts with access to an abundant supply of the elixir AND a clean hypodermic needle, would you consider letting me know how much it would cost to get a little juice in the right spot?

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...pagewanted=all

Inspired by both Dr. Weinstein and my swimming coach/friend Bill White, who was swimming butterfly two weeks after a severe Grade 3 shoulder separation, I have decided to meet my fate somewhere near the shores of Lake Erie.

I shall keep you posted, perchance answering the question posed in this self-portrait by early next week.

The one thought that keeps me going is that if I somehow manage to paralyze myself while diving off the blocks, then at least the pain will go away.

--A fellow traveler for all the assorted USMS back pain sufferers, Jimmy.

Submit "Experiment in Pain" to Digg Submit "Experiment in Pain" to del.icio.us Submit "Experiment in Pain" to StumbleUpon Submit "Experiment in Pain" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Was all the tennis worth it?

Is there a psych sheet and timeline for the meet? Will you get any rest?
    Jim, come to my chiro. I'm telling you he's fantastic. ART is really working for me. I'm thinking of inviting him to come live with us.
    17:47?...if you are lucky...chiropractor and some yoga...oh and of course, some obamacare weed...
    Go get'em. hope the back holds up. At least fewer flip turns if its LCM
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress

T'wasn't tennis but lifting slabs that made it so.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress

No pscyhe sheet of time line, but I will just swim as I am able. Tomorrow is the 100, 50, and 800, and I am planning to skip the 800 unless massive improvement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Water Rat
    Jim, come to my chiro. I'm telling you he's fantastic. ART is really working for me. I'm thinking of inviting him to come live with us.
    I may take you up on this when and/or if I manage to make it back alive from Ohio.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Dickson
    17:47?...if you are lucky...chiropractor and some yoga...oh and of course, some obamacare weed...
    I don't respond well to the Wild Wood Flower, though the promise of Obamacare has lightened my step just a wee bit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sojerz
    Go get'em. hope the back holds up. At least fewer flip turns if its LCM
    thanks for the vote of confidence.

I am hoping i can kick....

more afterwards..
    two beat the 1500, but not a good strategy for a 50, me thinks.
    I'm not a Doctor and I didn't stay in a Holiday Inn Expresss, but I'd advise:

• Stay between the 0 and 2 beat kick -- back pain sucks, kicking sucks and back pain + kicking has some funky exponential pain factor
    • Get your Obamaweed license, if for no other reason than to toke up while being driven to Water Rat's ART
    • I thought ART was art and have no idea what the capitalization means

You can go grazing on several gardens in historic regions of town, then dream your way through the meet.