View RSS Feed

Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine

Workout 07/03/12:

Rate this Entry
w/u: 200 FR/200 IM drill

10 x 200's various
- drills, kicks, swim, stroke work

200 float and out
(Solo/Hoosick Falls Pool/2600yds/45 min)
-------------------------------------

Wow. This last week has been a blur due to a nasty head cold, which was very similar to one I had at the beginning of the year. Last Monday during my double I swallowed some water, then the sore throat, mucous machine and sinus clogging began. I missed the Berkshire's swim at Richmond Pond (although Brent was able to go) and battled this illness while working, taking a nap during lunch and basically sleeping whenever I have been home. Big disappointment. Add to that the closing of our town's pool for at least July and August for repairs to the building around the pool due to chlorine exhaust corrosion, and I am bumming!

The nearest pool is just across the NY border in Hoosick Falls, an outdoor, five-lane 25yd pool built in the 60's. I have never been there before, but since I am feeling somewhat better I headed over today for the "workout" above just to get into the clear water on the beautiful morning we had. The pool is concrete, but has a liner like the KMart pool I have in the backyard. You can't really do flipturns (and I didn't) because when you push off, there is two inches of play between the two membranes. Wild stuff. There is a really interesting cross current too, between the diving well on the southwest side of the pool and the kiddie splash area on the northeast side, which was pretty trippy.

Hey, it's a place to swim. I have tomorrow off and then work Thursday, and on Friday the family and I are heading up to Newport to get checked in for the Kingdom swim. Not exactly the type of taper I was planning on before my first ten mile swim. Some things we just don't have control over, and can only make the best of the circumstances were in. I am not able to take a full breath without coughing, so my focus for the swim is completion and also meeting the forumites who will be there.

I do have access to one of the gyms in town now, so I will be dropping in next week to work on cardio. Peaks for Portland is two weeks after Kingdom, and I plan on supplementing my training with some more lake swims to keep jbs and slknight at bay. Next week I will be heading back to Phili for my daugther's orientation at Drexel, so I might try to meet up with Tom again for a swim. After Peaks, I will restart the lifting program in earnest (although I am still using my bands to keep my shoulders strong for the swims at this point).

Good luck to all you Natsy folks this weekend, that pool looks amazing! Maybe they'll keep the flame throwers loaded for a few swim!

Submit "Workout 07/03/12:" to Digg Submit "Workout 07/03/12:" to del.icio.us Submit "Workout 07/03/12:" to StumbleUpon Submit "Workout 07/03/12:" to Google

Categories
Swim Workouts , Planning

Comments

Bummer about being sick, especially timing-wise - but who knows - maybe it was just the rest your body needed and you'll feel better than ever when it gets out of your system. In any case, hope you feel all the way better over the next three days so you can aim not just for completion, but enjoyment as well.
    Good luck to all you Natsy folks this weekend, that pool looks amazing! Maybe they'll keep the flame throwers loaded for a few swim
    Hopefully for That Guy's heat of the 200 Breast. That would be great!
    Good luck in your Kingdom swim. I hear they are hosting the 9+ mile OW champs next year; I'd love to join you then. Hope you're feeling better.
    Good luck with the Kingdom swim this weekend. Hope you are feeling better for it.

See you at Peaks!
    Thanks guys. Should be a great adventure! I'm still pounding robitussin, but am feeling much better.
    Hope you're feeling fine - and that you have yourself a great one tomorrow!