View RSS Feed

Chowmi's Blog

Report from Omaha

Rate this Entry
See the forum entry I made earlier today for most of the Trials commentary. It's in one of the 2012 Olympic Trials threads.

Anyway, it was worth going to see in person. We stayed at the Element (Westin) hotel, and it was nice. The bed was quite plush and the breakfast buffet was good. The room had a kitchenette, not just a micro & fridge. It was a full size fridge, dishwasher, sink, micro, and stove. There is a grocery store on the other side of the hotel, and you can get to it through the garage or thru the hotel and 2 elevator banks. The nice thing is they have Boar's head deli meats even though I didn't make a sandwich this trip. And they had everything else!

I was enamoured with Omaha and how they really laid out the red carpet for the Trials. USA swimming, for once, seems to realize what works and what they should be looking for. The mid-size city model works really well - and it seemed all of Omaha was really welcoming for Trials attendees. They also need seating capacity for 10k+ people, yet they also note that they have to have the facility dedicated for the entire month before trials (for a test run meet, such as the Omaha invitational). And cities that aren't really big swim-cities are not excluded - again, I point out that they filled to 9k+ prelims and 12k++ finals in Omaha! It's not like they have to go back to Long Beach for the "build in market".

I personally would like to see it back in Omaha, but I think that's less likely, since it seems they also want to move it around the country. I don't have any particular preference.

They should announce location in spring of 2013. I would prefer to stay in a walking distance hotel. Having to drive and park was too much for prelims/finals, particularly since certain members wanted to stay for the entire thing at night, where I would have been happy to escape right after the last actual swim and be in my jammies by 8pm and watching TV. Maybe even swimming on TV, but the point is i'd be in my comfy bed with snacks. I really don't care to watch the awards ceremonies or hear Summer Sanders interview people. For those of you who stayed home, you got way better inteviews. Way way better.

Now, what have I been doing? I'm doing the P90X's that I like, and nothing really specific since I have 2 more vacations coming up. I'm also trying to stay in good speed shape. It's a bit unrealistic to be in the best sprint shape, since I am not consistent enough even for that. My joints are still really tight from sitting so much at Trials, so I am not doing dives right now. But, I am keeping up my speed rather well.

Tuesday, 07/03
Even after getting up at 3:45am and flying back, then going straight to work, I made the noon workout! The main set was:

4 rounds:
4 x 25 on :30
50 on 1:00
100 fast on 2:30

I could not do the 4 x 25's fast AND the 100's fast. That set just didn't work for me. So I did smooth on the 25's and the 50, then descended on the 100's:
1:13, 1:10, 1:10, 1:08
So essentially I was doing strong 100's on the 5:30. Someone check my math.

Wed, 07/04
Walk 30 minutes
P90X Shoulders & Arms, Ab RipperX

Thurs, 07/05

300ish warm up

3 x 200 no interval
50 kick/50 drill fly/50 kick/50 drill free

50/100/150/200/250/250/200/150/100/50 pull on :45 base
===>no. It is Swim for Distance Month and i can spot those sets a mile away. Get it, hahaha!!! I did every other 50 with paddles held backwards (maybe this is what is called turtles)

Main swim set:
16 x 50's
4 x 50 on 1:00 (kick with fins)
4 x 50 on :50 easy swim
4 x 50 on :40 very strong. held high 33's/34's but never hit 35
4 x 50 on 1:00 just go easy really no interval

The challenge set was my most awesome ever. I have never held under 35's so commandingly. I went 2nd/last and gave 10 seconds. However, I think I should shoot for 32-33's, and be able to do a serious challenge set on the :35's and still come in right at the 2:20 total elapsed time. That would be a huge stairstep interval but I think I can do it. If I keep feeling this strong and in control, even with being tired, then I think I might try the 100 free again this year, and not as a joke event.

I have had to modify due to it being Swim for Distance Month. I don't think i'm even going to sign up for a t-shirt. You have to average 4 workouts a week plus a mileage goal. The 4x per week is a deal killer. I do not like swimming that many workouts a week. I will continue with gearing up for one really good set each time I swim.

Submit "Report from Omaha" to Digg Submit "Report from Omaha" to del.icio.us Submit "Report from Omaha" to StumbleUpon Submit "Report from Omaha" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments