View RSS Feed

Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!

Sunday, July 8, 2012 USA-S Results - Wenatchee

Rate this Entry
I'm just happy this was right here in my hometown. If I would've had to travel in this heat, I possibly wouldn't have gone to the meet. It was 95+ on Friday, 102 on Saturday, and currently on Sunday it 106 degrees outside (it was 104 when I was finished competing). I drank soooo much water, 7-11 slurpees, and Gatorade, and never felt the need to get to the bathroom. It was HOT today.

I only signed up for the one day of this meet because of my work schedule for the summer. As a Line Mechanic for the largest cherry packager in the U.S., we are quite busy during the summer months. I finished off a 62 hour workweek, and have been averaging 60+ for the past month already, and it won't end till the end of August.
I'm only averaging 3 hours a week of swimming, so I wouldn't say I'm in the best shape for competition, but I can get the job done.

Last night I decided to scratch my 100 Back and deck enter the 200 Fly. This was because I dislike backstroke outdoors and LCM, and the 200 Fly stuff at Omaha got me excited to give it another go. This seemed good last night...of course.

Results:

200 Free - 2:15.85 SPlits (roughly): 31.5 / 34.5 / 35.5 / 34.0
Good for 10th place and my lone ribbon. I snuck into 10th by a few hundredths over 3 other guys. I would post a picture of myself holding it, but with all the USMS medal pictures lately this wouldn't mean much.
This was around a 1/2 second slower than what I did a month ago, but it still felt fine. I had a good race with the kid next to me, and beat him (hence the good race)

2 hour break till next race: Concession Stand lunch. Double cheeseburger w/ extras.
After ordering I realized that they upgraded the patties to 1/3 pound vs. the former 1/4 pound patties. They asked if I'd like Canadian Bacon on the patties as well. Sure, WTH?!! And some grilled onions as well. Need some good fuel to swim fast, right? It was the best burger I've had in a while.

Finally, comes my onslaught of races in a row...

50 Free: 28.12
A full second slower than what I did in the masters meet a few weeks back. Oh well, dumb race anyway.

200 Fly: 2:31.24
I can't remember my first 100 splits, but the final 2 50s were 39.x and 41.x. Yep, it hurt like that too. I must've been out around 1:10.x or so. I did try to stay under control but my lack of conditioning and the heat definitely got me here.
This deck entry was now becoming a poor choice on my behalf, but oh well, live and die by your choices.
1 second slower than the previous USAS meet performance, but given the conditions of everything, this was a good swim. I'm happy with it, though it won't mean anything.

NOW, THE part!

1500 Free - DNF

Apparently a lot of the guys in the fast heat of the 1500 Free were also in the 200 Fly just prior to this. So I guess their coaches got them to swap the heats 1 & 2 around in the 1500 to allow their kids more rest for the 1500. Just f*(&!ng great for me!! I was the #14 seed in the event, so I knew ahead of time that I'd be in the 2nd heat (normally swum fast to slow), and thay I'd be able to cool down after my 200 Fly, and before the 1500. Well...the seedings for the 1500 were posted DURING my 200 Fly heat, so when I got done I found out that I'd be up in about 2 minutes for a 1500!! WTFF??!??!?!?
I attempted to just man up and ran over to the cool down deep tank to swim two lengths (about 30 yards total), which did nothing for me, and then got back to the blocks in time for the whistle to get up. I dove in and had nothing to give. I figured I'd take a 200 or so EZ to try to cool down and then build back into it, but my body was having nothing to do with it. I realized that I still have another opportunity for this event in 3 weeks, so I just stopped at the 300, and got out. The referee understood why. Still, what's with the last minute modification of the seedings???!!?!? GRRRR

Submit "Sunday, July 8, 2012 USA-S Results - Wenatchee" to Digg Submit "Sunday, July 8, 2012 USA-S Results - Wenatchee" to del.icio.us Submit "Sunday, July 8, 2012 USA-S Results - Wenatchee" to StumbleUpon Submit "Sunday, July 8, 2012 USA-S Results - Wenatchee" to Google

Comments

That really rots about the shenanigans with the 1500 seeding. Maybe you should have swum the entire thing slow elementary backstroke just to make the officials pay for shafting you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl_S
    That really rots about the shenanigans with the 1500 seeding. Maybe you should have swum the entire thing slow elementary backstroke just to make the officials pay for shafting you.
    That's a good one. Never crossed my mind. If I would've continued freestyle, I figured it probably would get worse and worse. Never crossed my mind to screw officials/coaches/everyone waiting to go home afterward by swimming a 45 minute 1500.
    Ouch, major shenanigans. For the coach responsible:
    Quote Originally Posted by That Guy
    Ouch, major shenanigans. For the coach responsible:
    That's just awesome!! LOVE IT!
    to the coaches who convinced the officials.
    Dood, might have been either scratching the back or the onions.

Great job even giving the 1500 a go given the circumstances. Did they skip the break altogether?
    Apparently there was no break scheduled. That was just my dream I guess. Afterward, I'm still glad I scratched the 100 back to add the 200 Fly. I sure gave it my best effort. Honestly it was an attempt to beat someone who competed in the event in Omaha - can you guess who?
    You still got in a good day of swimming. Swimming the 1500 as the last event in 100+ degree heat probably wouldn't have been much fun even if you were in heat two!
    At least, you got to swim on Sunday!
    Quote Originally Posted by knelson
    You still got in a good day of swimming. Swimming the 1500 as the last event in 100+ degree heat probably wouldn't have been much fun even if you were in heat two!
    You're right. Overall I was happy with the day. I'm sure had I kept my original lineup with the 100 Back and then having rest prior to the 1500, the heat of the day (105 at the time of the race) would've got to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by tjrpatt
    At least, you got to swim on Sunday!
    There is a first time for everything. I only get to swim Sundays if it's a meet. There's nothing around here except for the Columbia River, which is constantly flowing ice water from the glaciers and is about 51 degrees all summer.