View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

UMBC Meet, Sunday, July 15

Rate this Entry
Determined to just have fun today, I broke out of my comfort zone and did 2 LCM 100s in 30 minutes. And I didn't even complain or mention the word "scratch." This must be some kind of record for me. Ha!

100 back, 1:15.9

Jeff Roddin and I were joking that the sun came out right before our heat. But that actually wasn't as bad as I feared and I managed to swim relatively straight according to Jimby. I tried to stay close to the lane line as Kirk suggested. I swam controlled for 75 meters and sprinted the last 25 where Jimby reported that I "noticeably" picked up my turnover. I held back slightly from a 100% effort b/c I actually wanted to swim the 100 breast later. (In the past, all out 100s have caused me to not walk much for an hour+. See Albatross meet last March.) The only negative part of the race was my start. Jimby said it was one of my worst ever. I wasn't set at the beep and flat backed my entry. I was next to Jeff and he just smoked me on the start & reaction time. He also threw down a very speedy 1:06. But I leaned back and still managed a decent UW. Did around 250 cool down after. This time will be #1 in the nation when results are reported. It could get knocked down with all the LCM meets left of course.

100 breast, 1:29.0

I only had about 30 minutes of rest including the warm down before attempting my first ever 100 LCM breast. I swam it 50 controlled, 25 build, 25 all out. Had the same problem on the start as I did at Nationals where I had to float to the surface after the pulldown. Good grief, long course 100s are long. I definitely like breaststroke better with walls. Still, I was surprised to break 1:30 coming off the 100 back. This time would have won Nationals in my age group and is #3 right now.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I'm really happy with these times, given my lack of long course training/sprint conditioning this summer and the fact that I was swimming outdoors. It was pretty hot today. I definitely prefer the controlled environment and ceilings of indoor pools. Quads are all tuckered out. Compression leggings later!

The UMBC pool wasn't too bad. Which is saying a lot after competing in the amazing Trials pool. The lane lines were a little funky and half submerged. Glad I opted for this meet over Hains Point.

Interesting note. Tha manual timing on both my races was .5 faster than the electronic timing. Seems like a big difference.

Submit "UMBC Meet, Sunday, July 15" to Digg Submit "UMBC Meet, Sunday, July 15" to del.icio.us Submit "UMBC Meet, Sunday, July 15" to StumbleUpon Submit "UMBC Meet, Sunday, July 15" to Google

Updated July 15th, 2012 at 08:26 PM by The Fortress

Categories
Masters Swim Meets / Events

Comments

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Congratulations Leslie! Very nice. In my book, you are officially a distance swimmer
    LOL @ "Good grief, long course 100s are long."

Seriously, your meet times are turning into "is it just a top 10 time swim or an acceptable #1 (National|FINA) time/NR/WR?"

Although I would be upset if Jeff beat me...

The lane lines were a little funky and half submerged.
    Without the magic of the Olympics supporting them, things that float usually are half submerged.

Interesting note. Tha manual timing on both my races was .5 faster than the electronic timing. Seems like a big difference.
    Not really, humans suck at pressing buttons in a timely fashion. This is exactly why computers were invented.
    Good job Fort! Isn't long course breaststroke the best? For the full effect, you simply must try the 200.
    Quote Originally Posted by kwhenderson
    Congratulations Leslie! Very nice. In my book, you are officially a distance swimmer
    Thx Kristin. However, few would dispute that I'm a drop dead diva sprinter who needs more lactate tolerance work.
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    LOL @ "Good grief, long course 100s are long."

Seriously, your meet times are turning into "is it just a top 10 time swim or an acceptable #1 (National|FINA) time/NR/WR?"

Although I would be upset if Jeff beat me...

Without the magic of the Olympics supporting them, things that float usually are half submerged.

Not really, humans suck at pressing buttons in a timely fashion. This is exactly why computers were invented.
    1. Really really long with no walls. Similar to open water swimming.

2. Well, my 100 back was a couple seconds off my masters best and the WR. I am sure I am underperforming. I just couldn't seem to force myself to do any LT/LP sets this summer after Greensboro. I am super impressed with myself for doing an actual long course 100 breast without the floaty suits. Of all the long course 100s, this is the easiest aerobically with all the breathing. But it is a crap load of whip kicking.

3. It was easy enough to ignore someone so far ahead of me. Though I don't like being beat off the blocks on backstroke that badly. Usually, my start is money. Definitely not today, cost me time. C'est la vie.

4. These were about the worst lane lines I've ever seen at a meet. Definitely not in the non-turbulent category. The main reason I noticed was that I was counting on seeing them out of the periphery on backstroke.

5. I guess so ... and now I know why Jazz likes the HP meet. No electronic timing.
    Quote Originally Posted by That Guy
    Good job Fort! Isn't long course breaststroke the best? For the full effect, you simply must try the 200.
    The 200 would seem endless. And you have a far higher tolerance for boredom than I do.

Though I suppose in some ways the short course 200 could be worse with all those long UWs.

It's convenient that I am not a check off challenge person.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    1. Really really long with no walls. Similar to open water swimming
    UMmmmmmmmm.... NO WAY!!!
    I just did a 1 mile OW race (my first), and I'd take LCM any day...and I really don't care for LCM either!
    Leslie, What great swims! Congrats! Rockstar...don't give up on the 100 fly, yet! Very cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1
    UMmmmmmmmm.... NO WAY!!!
    I just did a 1 mile OW race (my first), and I'd take LCM any day...and I really don't care for LCM either!
    Yeah, OW is worse. But long course feels endless. And I couldn't see a soul in breaststroke except at the turn. Hard to race if you can't see anyone.
    Yeah, OW is worse. But long course feels endless. And I couldn't see a soul in breaststroke except at the turn. Hard to race if you can't see anyone.
    I could see people, and I sure tried to keep the age groupers in front of me close enough to see. I didn't dare look backwards to see who was coming up behind me!
    Quote Originally Posted by Noonswimmer
    Leslie, What great swims! Congrats! Rockstar...don't give up on the 100 fly, yet! Very cool.
    Thx! I was worried my extended taper would make the long course 100s worse than usual. But I was pleased with the times under the circumstances, and very glad I attended the meet.

After my experience in Auburn with the 80 meter fly, I'm not sure I'll ever have the guts to try that race again. The pain and humiliation are emblazoned on my memory. I would have to learn some long glidey stroke.
    What are you talking about? OW is great, especially when you can't see anyone around you! I like the variety and different conditions that OW swims produce, a great change of pace from the pool.
    Quote Originally Posted by rxleakem
    What are you talking about? OW is great, especially when you can't see anyone around you! I like the variety and different conditions that OW swims produce, a great change of pace from the pool.
    No sprinter credentials will be issued to you!
    Does that mean I earned a couple since I complained about OW? I did have a 0.67 reaction time on my OW start today.
    Pretty sure my 50 free from Harvard already confirmed this.
    5. I guess so ... and now I know why Jazz likes the HP meet. No electronic timing.
    I usually do a mental adjustment of 0.2-0.3 on hand timing. Last summer I went "24.59" at Hains Point and 24.8 at UM, but I think they were closer than that. The big thing is that timers have to react to the start, which causes them to start their clocks late, but they can anticipate the finish, which means they don't stop them late.

I would prefer to use electronic this year, but I was not aware of the meet today
    I had good results in my 50 and 100 Free at our Spokane LCM meet this summer. That Guy also had some good results. Possibly from the hand timing error you describe???? I'm not going to complain any. I broke a minute and that's what the timers got.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazz Hands8
    I usually do a mental adjustment of 0.2-0.3 on hand timing. Last summer I went "24.59" at Hains Point and 24.8 at UM, but I think they were closer than that. The big thing is that timers have to react to the start, which causes them to start their clocks late, but they can anticipate the finish, which means they don't stop them late.

I would prefer to use electronic this year, but I was not aware of the meet today
    It's a MD series meet, not PV. I think it was put on the PV website fairly recently. I literally first heard about it from a Reston Masters swimmer at Nats. It seemed like a perfectly serviceable place to crank a fast 50 fly or free. 6 feet + deep throughout. However, this year, unlike others, there were no 50s and no pads at the 50 end for split requests.

I was expecting more like .2-.3, not .5.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazz Hands
    The big thing is that timers have to react to the start, which causes them to start their clocks late, but they can anticipate the finish, which means they don't stop them late.
    And in a 50 if the timers are on the opposite end of the pool from the starter it could really make a difference. Some probably start their watches by the sound rather than the strobe and it takes sound around 0.15 seconds to travel 50 meters.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1
    I had good results in my 50 and 100 Free at our Spokane LCM meet this summer. That Guy also had some good results. Possibly from the hand timing error you describe???? I'm not going to complain any. I broke a minute and that's what the timers got.
    Manual timing is generally considered faster. I would take the sub-1:00! Jimby's 100 free was .5 slower than the manual time too, but he seemed to expect that much.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast