View RSS Feed

Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!

Monday, July 16, 2012 5:30pm at the Y

Rate this Entry
Home Sweet Home!!

I'm glad to be swimming again in the pool, and prefer this type of training (SCY) over any other. SCM would be okay, but I don't have that option around here.

I'm now focused on my next adventures, the first of which is the final day of the USA-S LSC Champs in Spokane which I'm swimming the 1500 LCM and 100 Free & Fly. I consider that the easy swimming. Anything in the pool is easy now.
3 weeks from now will be the real challenge for me. Longbridge swim in Sandpoint, Idaho: 1.76 miles swim (1.1 across the lake next to the bridge, then along the shore to the park). I'm focusing now on doing longer swims in the pool, but keeping up the intensity as well.

Warmup:

5 x 100 Free @ 1:30 (1:10s)

Main Set:

8 x 300 Free Pull @ 4:30 desc. to 3:20 by :10 drops
  • (e.g. 4:30/4:20/4:10...3:30/3:20)
  • held close to 3:30s the whole way
  • #7 was 3:26, #8 missed it but went 3:24
  • The 1.76 mile swim is roughly 2800 yards or so, so I'm going to try for one major set each swim that approaches or surpasses this distance, with as minimal rest as possible.
100 EZ

5 x 100 Free @ 1:15 (went 1:08/1:09s)

100 EZ

------------------------
3600 in under 55 minutes (getting more and more KNelsonish)

Submit "Monday, July 16, 2012 5:30pm at the Y" to Digg Submit "Monday, July 16, 2012 5:30pm at the Y" to del.icio.us Submit "Monday, July 16, 2012 5:30pm at the Y" to StumbleUpon Submit "Monday, July 16, 2012 5:30pm at the Y" to Google

Comments

Knelson's group would have done 4000 in 50 minutes!
    Quote Originally Posted by tjrpatt
    Knelson's group would have done 4000 in 50 minutes!
    Hence the "(getting more and more KNelsonish)"
    Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1
    Hence the "(getting more and more KNelsonish)"
    You aren't going to get like that overnight!
    Quote Originally Posted by tjrpatt
    You aren't going to get like that overnight!
    Nor after years and years...at least not without winning the MegaMillions and quitting my job. Sure I could quit my job and just swim for a while too, that's the easy part.
    I did the Long Bridge Swim a few years ago. Lots of fun and a good swim. If it weren't so far away I would go every year.
    Quote Originally Posted by poolraat
    I did the Long Bridge Swim a few years ago. Lots of fun and a good swim. If it weren't so far away I would go every year.
    Its about 4 1/2 hours away for me to get there, but I can make it in 4 I'm focusing on finishing it for sure (that's the #1 goal), and #2 is to be in the Top 10 overall (and shoot for Top 5).

The only negative I see to the whole race is the damn bridge is on the LEFT SIDE!!

Bet you know which way I breathe!
    Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1

The only negative I see to the whole race is the damn bridge is on the LEFT SIDE!!

Bet you know which way I breathe!
    Get a fresh pair of anti-fog goggles and pretend you're swimming a 200 and sneak a quick breath to the left side every 25 yards.
    Quote Originally Posted by rxleakem
    Get a fresh pair of anti-fog goggles and pretend you're swimming a 200 and sneak a quick breath to the left side every 25 yards.
    I figure doing my head up sighting ahead will keep me good as far as relation with the bridge. I'll be attempting to find a good draft pack as well on this one. Those 17 year olds are good for something!

Maybe not a 200...I do need to make it across to the other side of the lake at least! But I will be off to a quick start, that's for sure. With an 800-900 field of participants, I'd rather be out in the front from the beginning rather than trying to weave my way through everyone.