View RSS Feed

Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!

Sunday, July 29, 2012 USAS LC Champs Results

Rate this Entry
I know this isn't going to compete with the Olympics swimming very well, but I'm gonna go for it anyway!

I woke up this morning at 5:30am and was on the road by 6:00 for another road trip to a swim meet. On my day off from work none-the-less, after working another 60+ hours workweek. My main goal was to get there by 9:00am when the meet was starting to get checked in for the 1500 Free. Made it!

My first event wasn't scheduled until around 11:45am or so, the 100 Fly, with my 100 Free around 12:50pm. I was in the 2nd heat of the 1500s (alternated girls/boys), so I swam it around 1:20pm or so.

-----------------------------------

The results:

100 Fly - 1:05.99 (season best, new LMSC record)

did this "cold turkey" - no warmup/no cooldown
I also got the pleasure of being seeded right next to the top seed in the event (circle seeding) as well, and he went a casual :58.0

***OH YEAH*** (almost forgot)
I got to talk with Tom Jager at this point of the meet. He is the head coach of one of the teams in our LSC. He thought it was cool that I was out there racing the kids at my age, and that I was doing as well I do.
I'm never going to wash my hand again, even though Tom's sprinting mojo didn't rub off any on me at all!
That's my Olympic moment.

100 Free - 1:02.59 ()

my lack of cooldown didn't help me here, and I just shut it down around 60-75 meters of the race, and did a Lochte "prelims finish" into the wall at the end. Oh well, this wasn't the reason I came to swim today anyway.

1500 Free - 19:20.45 (new LMSC record)

I got a few splits from one of the club coaches (I wasn't even thinking I'd get splits, so this was nice)

200 - 2:26.45
400 - 4:59.25 (2:33)
600 - 7:34.64 (2:35)
800 - 10:12.54 (2:38)
1000 - 12:50.99 (2:39)
1200 - 15:29.37 (2:39)
1400 - 18:07.82 (2:38)
(winner was an 18:12, so I wasn't lapped)
1500 - 19:20.45 (1:13) - picked it up here since I was having a small battle with a kid a few lanes over and wasn't going to get beat by more of these kids!

I was swimming right with another kid for the first 400(same one who basically tied with me in the 1 mile OW two weeks ago), but knew I wasn't going to be able to keep that pace, so I let him go and found my own pace.

My final time is almost :30 slower than last years performance, but it's still good enough for 6th in the current TT rankings (right behind That Guy, and Tjrpatt). I'm human.

The main differences with this swim vs. last year's performance was:
  • Last year swam in early June vs. late July this year
  • Only able to swim maybe 3 days a week of minimal training due to summer work schedule, as compared to the "school year" when work is normal.
Overall, I'm still happy with this performance. Looking back at it, I was able to settle into a pace and hold it pretty consistent throughout the race.

---------------------------------

That's it for my 2012 LCM season, thank goodness! I've got two more OW races to go, one of them is next Saturday, and another will be next month.

Submit "Sunday, July 29, 2012 USAS LC Champs Results" to Digg Submit "Sunday, July 29, 2012 USAS LC Champs Results" to del.icio.us Submit "Sunday, July 29, 2012 USAS LC Champs Results" to StumbleUpon Submit "Sunday, July 29, 2012 USAS LC Champs Results" to Google

Updated July 29th, 2012 at 11:52 PM by jaadams1

Categories
Swim Workouts , Meets , Daily Practices

Comments

Great swimming, James. And well done on giving the young guns a shot for the evening. Good to see you heading into full swing with the OW.
    Quote Originally Posted by rxleakem
    Great swimming, James. And well done on giving the young guns a shot for the evening. Good to see you heading into full swing with the OW.
    Thanks Mike!

And originally I wasn't going to give up my finals spots, until I found out how late they were going to get started. With a 3 hour commute home, and a 5:30am work start time in the morning, I needed to get home.

As for OW...I don't know about "full swing", but I'm attempting it at least.
    Fantastic races James!!!!
    Especially after working 60+ hours during the week, including yesterday. Imagine how you'd compete against those kids if you worked as much as them
    Nice swims! Your 100 free was still faster than what I posted in Bend.
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    Fantastic races James!!!!
    Especially after working 60+ hours during the week, including yesterday. Imagine how you'd compete against those kids if you worked as much as them
    Thanks Tim! Believe me, the OT is nice, but it doesn't help me out with any fun in the sun during the summer. I know my swimming is going to be on the back burner for the summer, but I try to do what I can.
    Quote Originally Posted by That Guy
    Nice swims! Your 100 free was still faster than what I posted in Bend.
    Thanks TG!!
    Well, looking at it that way, I guess it's pretty good then!
    Updated July 30th, 2012 at 12:03 PM by jaadams1
    Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1
    That TG!!
    I approve of this redundancy.
    Quote Originally Posted by That Guy
    I approve of this redundancy.
    Just a case of mind and body not cooperating.
    The PNS long course championships were this weekend, too, but I didn't qualify in anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by knelson
    The PNS long course championships were this weekend, too, but I didn't qualify in anything.
    Sometimes it's good to live east of the Cascades.
    Wicked cool you talked to Tom. You shoulda talked him into USMS and doing a relay with ya

Nice job on the records!
    Quote Originally Posted by gdanner
    Wicked cool you talked to Tom. You shoulda talked him into USMS and doing a relay with ya

Nice job on the records!
    Tom is a cool guy. I asked him about USMS, and he didn't seem like he really wanted to get back into swimming himself too much. He did mention that he's going to be doing a race with Biondi for charity some time in the near future...and is just hoping that Biondi's not training too much!