View RSS Feed

Alex's swim journal

Recovery, weekend "sprint" work

Rate this Entry
by , July 31st, 2012 at 12:05 PM (352 Views)
It's been a few days since I've blogged--I guess things got busy--but I've had some productive swims since my postal 5K last Thursday morning.

Friday I did a mile in the lake; just a recovery swim, not wanting to do anything but relax and unwind after a long week.

Saturday and Sunday I did "sprint" workouts at the Y: 7200 total yards for the weekend.

My Saturday swim was 3 x 1000 on 17:00, followed by a fast 500... 2 miles in 59 minutes. That doesn't seem like "sprint" speed, but it's about as close as this slow-twitch guy is going to come. I was holding a 1:40/100 pace on the 1000s, which felt hard, but not all-out.

My Sunday swim included some shorter/faster interval work:
1000 in drills
10 x 50 on 1:00 (mostly in :38-:39; all under :40)
20 x 100 on 1:45 (started off mostly at 1:30, then 1:33-1:36 in the last half)
50 in :45 before aerobic gab session

I intended to swim a bit more (another full set of 50s), but ran into a co-worker in the next lane who wanted to talk... that's OK, life intervenes. Short cool-down laps rounded out the faster swimming of the weekend.

Yesterday, despite feeling really tired all day long, I went back to the lake after work and managed to get in two miles... for a recovery swim, it felt pretty good too; not at all the slog I thought it might be. I think my "faster" swimming is helping out.

Submit "Recovery, weekend "sprint" work" to Digg Submit "Recovery, weekend "sprint" work" to del.icio.us Submit "Recovery, weekend "sprint" work" to StumbleUpon Submit "Recovery, weekend "sprint" work" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments